Sunday, January 2, 2022

Grateful for neighborly kindness

 

The little drifts on the steps was about as bad as the snowstorm got.  The photo is from shortly before the snow started tapering off, New Year's Day afternoon.  At that point, I went out and cleared the steps.  

I also cleared a narrow strip of driveway, down to the sidewalk.  That is my normal method of determining the depth of snow I will have to deal with, as it covers where it drifts.  

This morning when I arose the phone told me it was minus 5 Fahrenheit.  For those of you who speak Celcius, that works out to minus 20.  Brrr.  Luckily, the steps, being protected from the north wind, stayed clear.  The driveway strip... not.  Drifted right back in.



After session 1 this morning, the driveway strip and the front sidewalk are cleared, but I came back in to thaw my hands.  I have the North sidewalk, and the driveway to finish, and I want to get out before the wind kicks up.  Raw temperatures are not so bad when the wind is calm.

I shall return for the next warming break!

Turns out, the next warming break was when it was done!  I cleared the North sidewalk and started in on the remainder of the driveway.  As I was headed out with my shovel, the man across the street came out with his snow thrower.  

He proceeded to clear his walks and driveway.  I had only about half of the drive to go, and was getting close to deciding to come back in for the next warming break, when my neighbor wheeled his machine across the street gave me a hand signal that he'd work on my remainder!

He not only helped me finish, but when he got that cleared, he proceeded to go clear off the other neighbor across the street.  These folks are on a trip, not there to take care of it themselves.  I didn't talk to them before they left, but I do hope they are seeing the grandmas!  It's hard to live half a continent away from your grandmas!

There is something so peaceful about the sky being blue, the sun being out, the wind being calm, and the temperatures being frigid.  Great skiing weather for those who enjoy that activity.

Yesterday's soup is re-warming for lunch, the cats have been out and are back in, and the church service is on YouTube Live.

It's time to remind ourselves that we are starting a brand new year.  Fresh start.  Renewed hope.  Another chance, just as we have every day, to take care of ourselves.  Let's do our best, this one and only Sunday, January 2,2022 we'll ever get.  And when the day is done, let us declare it as sufficient, release it, and give ourselves the gift of a good night's rest.

Life is Good.  Spark on!  ✨🎇💖🔥


14 comments:

  1. Nice neighbors are a treasure! Last winter during our two-week Polar Blast in Central Texas, a younger next-door neighbor started a group text of 6 households with daily check-ins regarding power/water supplies and notify us when he was making a grocery run to see if anything was needed. Hated to see him move last summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful neighbor to get things started. Hope the remaining 5 households have kept up the texting group. It just helps to know someone is checking in!

      Delete
  2. I love nice neighbors!
    You finally got your snow. Yesterday morning we had cloudy skies predicted, last night flurries, this morning, a dusting and as of 6PM, 1-3 inches.
    I've got my snow blower ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we did. And it wasn't horrible. I'm sure we'll have enough to get thoroughly tired of it before spring!

      Good job being prepared!

      Delete
  3. We live in the boonies and our closest neighbor is a couple of miles away. When we have really deep snows, he drives his tractor up our drive and clears it for us. Refuses payment, so I find a special gift for his 13 year old son. These kinds of stories don't make the news. Such a shame.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kindness of local people is amazing. And the older I get, the more I seem to be the beneficiary rather than the worker! It's good of you to find those little favors to return, and nobody can complain too much if you give their child a gift!

      Onward into 2022, the first week is in progress!

      Delete
  4. It was so nice of your neighbor to do that. That reminds me that I need to replace a tire on our snowblower that's flat. The snow looks beautiful, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ever so grateful for the younger generation who seem to be looking out for me as I get older. I'm kind of in denial about the number, but... it's there.

      Delete
  5. Cold here, too. How nice your neighbor helped you finish the snow removal!

    Definitely weather for either a soup or stew!

    Yes, I feel that sense of a fresh start, new beginning w/this new year.

    Hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's TWO neighbors that helped, the one who clears the South walk fairly regularly, and the gent across the street with his machine! Feeling wrapped up in the care of my neighbors.

      Delete
  6. Good neighbors are precious, glad I live in such a neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful snowy photos! Minus 20 Celsius is terribly cold. You did quite a strong workout clearing some of the snow up. Good neighbors are priceless indeed. Soup is perfect for the weather. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...