Saturday, January 15, 2022

Moonrise

I snapped this photo Thursday evening when I was trundling the garbage can to the curb.  The moon, rising above the rooftops... not quite full... it will be full Monday night.

I turned around, and snapped the sunset.  I find the skies fascinating this time of year, as might be observed from the photos I put up.  Darker in the East as the moon rises, still a bit lighter in the West, as the sun is setting.

Slept very well, after those views.  Friday morning, we became a community in a transition of weather.  The snow was not supposed to start until the evening commute.  Most everyone would be home safe and the snow, whatever amount fell, would accumulate on the weekend.  

Being a lagging state, we're only just starting to realize the magnitude of the Omicron surge of Covid-19.  At 10 a.m., a series of local news conferences started.  Can we turn the clock back nearly two years?  Seemed like deja vu.  Bottom line, leading to a collection of bottom lines:  local case rates for Covid are still rising, we are reaching new record highs on a daily basis.   

The first news conference was held by the public schools.  The pandemic is causing staffing issues.  41% of their requests for substitutes on Friday went unfilled.  So teachers and admins who did show up had to cover for them.  This has been happening since school started after the holidays.  Working with Public Health, they have decided to remain open for in person learning, but that during this surge, they will hold no classes for students the next three Fridays. The buildings will remain open on those Fridays so the teachers can catch up on planning.  They will also practice for if they have to take a class, a grade level, or a whole school on-line (remote) on short notice.  

As they have since the start of the pandemic, our schools are rolling with the punches.  They have done a good job of trying to stay open, in person, and stay safe... but let's be honest, omicron is busting our butts.

Next it was the governor:  he's issued a directed health measure that tells the biggest hospital system in the state they must suspend any non-emergency surgeries until at least mid-February.  This was in response to the hospital announcing it was activating its Crisis Standard of Care plan.  The hospital responded that what they were doing was within the rules of this "new" mandate.

At 11:30 a.m. it was the mayor's turn:  the local mask order is back in place, as of midnight Friday night.  She's asking folks to "voluntarily" reduce how much we go out and about:  work and medical appointments only.  I don't work, but kind of consider my trainer sessions to be my "work".  I don't do much beyond that.  I pick up the groceries at the curb.  And I walk, masked, with my kid sis once a week, both of us masked.  I am thinking carefully about what the switch would be to forego the gym sessions with the trainer.  

As predicted the snow started falling around 4 p.m.  The kitties are not so sure about this strange white frozen stuff.  Rubia looked back at me on her Friday evening outing.  The Prisoner tested its depth Saturday morning.  Neither one stayed out for long as the temperature has plunged after our mild start to the week.  


It's cold out there, but at least the sun is shining!  The snow is fresh and white, and shines in the sun.  Tomorrow will see warmer temperatures and melting.

May you all be well, and safe, and making decisions that support your health and well-being, this one and only Saturday, January 15, 2022 we will ever get!  And at the end of day, let it go... whatever we did, it was enough, sufficient to the day.  May the sunshine be that of hope in your hearts!

Life is good.  Savor it, and Spark on!  

✨💖🔥

9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture of the moon!

    Yes, would that it were possible to rewind the hands of time. **SIGH**

    It’s very hard for the schools, students, teachers, AND students’ parents!

    Sounds like all that can be done is being done. Sorry the hospital systems are in Crisis Management. That’s happening more and more.

    Here’s to a good weekend, safe and healthy!




    That's good that Prisoner and Rubia used common sense and didn't stay out too long!

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most important to be kind to one another during the challenging times, eh? And while things are surging, in my own case, maybe just stay out of the way?

      Delete
  2. The school district in the next town to our east has called snow day for Tuesday to decide what the next step is for the growing virus numbers for staff and students. The districts refuse to implement mask mandates. What do they expect?!?

    From a college physics class for Monday night: the full moon rises when the sun sets. Some of the strangest, most useless bits of knowledge are stuck in my long term memory. ???

    My mask order has been delayed. I'm glad I have a few remaining from the last order. The new normal becomes more insane every day.

    Have a wonderful Sunday. If the sun comes out, we're going to watch the snow melt. ;~) Kinda like watching paint dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be watching snow melt here on Sunday, too. At least if the predicted above freezing afternoon temperatures happen.

      That is fascinating about the full moon and the sun coinciding... what I used to notice, when I had morning commutes was how often the full moon-set was during my drive in to work!

      Sorry about your mask order... mine arrived earlier than predicted, and I am grateful. Hope yours arrives before you run out of the last package!

      Delete
  3. Those are beautiful pictures of the skies. I like photos of the sky as well.

    Our numbers are high here and they don't look like they'll be going down soon. I just wish that people will get on board and do the right thing for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Amen to people "doing the right thing for everyone". After all, "it's not all about me."

      Delete
  4. I have an image of a cat shaking each paw off as it tries to walk through the snow. Funny.
    I pondered your moonrise picture as the near-full moon set in my backyard. I thought to take a picture but since it was only 2 degrees out, I enjoyed the view through my window! There will be no moon visible tonight, only snow and sleet.

    I am weary of life as it is but not giving in. I happily wear my well-fitted surgical masks everywhere without complaint. My face must be structured right for them as I get a good fit. I still go to the gym and grocery shop but attend no crowded events. I've even been appreciative of the warming property on my face when walking outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weary, but not giving in... a perfect description! It's typical of forming new habits... weary, but not giving in.

      Just now the Prisoner is in the kitchen, playing like a kitten even though he's a middle aged cat. I think he has accepted the reality of cold and white and is now content to play indoors.

      Delete
  5. So true about our sense of time, and "what day is it?"

    I totally get the "I don't have the oomph to learn this now!" Whether it's photography with the phone, or how to interface with a new app... sometimes it's just too heavy a lift to add to our competencies.

    ReplyDelete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...