Monday, July 25, 2022

Freezing off spots

 

The fair skinned amongst us, especially, have to be careful of the sun.  

This morning was the follow-up visit with the doctor, to go over the results of the blood work.  He was happy with the direction of both the cholesterol and the TSH levels.  We talked about the "every third day" prescription for the generic of Crestor (rosuvastatin), and he upped it to every other day, for purposes of being able to do three times a week without running myself out.  It took me over two years to get to that point, since I had that pill bottle full from the initial prescription that I dragged my feet about starting to take.

Then he did the every so often (and especially if he sees me in the Summer) check of spots on the skin.  He looked closely at the one spot that I'd been picking at on my forehead.  It looked as though it might have potential to grow troublesome, in terms of skin cancer if we didn't zap it, so he called for the liquid nitrogen and froze it.

Frozen, it looks like a slightly bigger spot.  And I'm all clear until January's regular appointments.  

The plant puzzle for which many of you have been offering up input has me leaning toward honeysuckle.  It *does* have teensy little white blossoms.  

I don't know... it might be honeysuckle.  But not wisteria.  Fresh photo provided.  Does that confirm or contradict for any plant people out there?


Now I'm ready for a quiet "hermit" style week.  I'm playing catch-up with "Under The Dome" TV series.  I do this with TV in recent years... I don't watch it when it first comes out, maybe catching part or one or two episodes, but not into it enough to watch regularly.  Years later, after it's off the air, I binge watch the entire series.  I did this with LOST, I did this with Grey's Anatomy, more recently I'll sign up for a streaming service for a specific series, especially if they offer a free week, watch it, then drop the subscription if I don't see anything else I want to watch on it.  I did this with Jamestown on PBS Masterpiece.

Here's hoping good health to all.  We're having a break from the heat today here, but not from the humidity.  Kind of enjoying the cloudy skies and the few little sprinkles we got this morning.

Life is good.  Spark on!

 

18 comments:

  1. Great physician!! These days a thorough check-up is as rare as hen's teeth.

    Re your plant: Have you tried a Google image search? Open Google, then choose images. On my computer, the image icon is on the top right hand side. Just drag and drop an image into the search line and it will pop up the choices closest to your image. I use it for the birds in our area. Especially during migratory times.

    Enjoy your quiet week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I caved and tried a Google image search. Can't figure out how to do this on the computer, as when I copy and paste the url of the image I capture it tells me Google image search can't access it (on my private Google photos). In a way, that's comforting.

      Tried it on the phone (had never used this before but your comment gave me enough of a hint) and it identified my photo from this morning as wisteria. Go figure!

      Still not sure!

      Delete
  2. Is this it?
    https://www.thespruce.com/star-jasmine-growing-profile-3269239
    One of your 'Anonymous" posters was on point.

    Good for you with a caring doctor. I had several spots frozen off last week. Last year I had a second bout of basal cell carcinoma, a very slow growing kind. I make sure I get checked every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have a winner. The shape looks right, and it is aromatic.

      This is about the third or fourth time I've had "spots" frozen off, over my years with this doctor. I'm glad he checks; the first time I was alerted by a co-worker who'd had one removed, once I was concerned about a specific spot, and at least once or twice more it was part of the regular check. He is sensitive to "old white lady" stuff, including the bone density and this kind of thing.

      Oh, and I can't believe it, his daughter is starting college! Yikes, she was just a baby when I started going to this doctor. She's studying pre-med. Glad the pandemic didn't put her off.

      Delete
  3. My dermatologist refuses to burn things off my face, I’ve had various things pop up and always get the “leave your face alone” talk. I end up buying wart, skin tag, and mole removers… I prefer the scar over the blemishes/imperfections.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He leaves things alone unless they look like the kind that can develop into basal cell carcinoma... squeamous, I think is the term he used. Given the choice between a scar or blemish and a cancer? I think we would all choose the same!

      Have a healthy week out there!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, OJ. I hear it, don't often write it, and too lazy to look it up at the time.

      Delete
  4. I stopped watching new shows when they first come out because so many get cancelled. Once they get another season or two I'll binge it.

    Good job on the check up. That is great that your doctor is so thorough with you and checking out the spots and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the new shows and them getting canceled. Some I start to really like and then "poof", they are gone. Waiting is safer. Others are on so much and have so much content that I burn out on them... then I leave them alone for a year or two and pick up again later.

      I did like "Ordinary Joe" on NBC, have kind of liked "Transplant", and watched "Manifest" and "New Amsterdam" in real time until I switched streaming services, and then... well, those are the breaks!

      It's so good to have a doctor who "grew up" with you as a patient. They know what to look for. I feel like I am incredibly lucky to have him... I think he's been my doctor ever since he was the new doctor in the practice.

      Delete
  5. Definitely not Star Jasmine. Seeing the small flowers, I vote for Honeysuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm all confused again! Oh, well. Whatever it is, I like it.

      Delete

  6. Glad things went well with the blood work and that the Dr. went after that problematic spot. You have a good DR!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. Been with him a long tie, and he fits the title "family doctor" very well.

      Delete
  7. Good to keep things in check on our skin. It took quite a bit of 'nagging' to get spouse to have an ear looked at by my Dermatologist. Yesterday he was released by the surgeon that removed a deep malignant growth requiring a skin transplant. I'm grateful that my long-term OB/GYN does a skin check on my back as part of the annual Women's Wellness Exam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, frequent checking prevents things from getting to a bad level before taking action! I'm glad my doc does this, too.

      Delete
  8. Not honeysuckle. Honeysuckle is a spring blooming shrub with a pendulous flower, kind of like mini fuschias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give up. I may never know what it is. But it's a nice-smelling vine.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...