Thursday, July 14, 2022

The Covid waves keep rolling

Back to orange risk level locally.  But no DHM's (directed health measures) implemented yet.  Just in time for the travelers to return, too.

Just to make things interesting

The A/C at my house seems to be working too hard.  I noticed the temperature in the thermostat room creeping up.  OK, I admit, I had cranked it down to 78℉ a few times this week, and when it started not getting there, it was remaining at 79, then I left the setting at 79, and it crept up to 80.

Just about when I'm saying, drag out the fans, and survive until the mythical son comes to collect his dog... I notice it ticking up to 81.  I called my HVAC folks and they can squeeze me in same day, but asked me to turn it off in the meantime.  I did so, and continued setting up the fans in strategic spots.

Son and his party made it back to town, and he came over to collect the dog after doing a rapid Covid test, still being careful with travels.  Carl was so excited to see him.  I had already put Carl in his vest and leash so it would be easier packing his "stuff" up to go home.  What a good boy he has been all week long.

I waved goodbye to them, brought the cat dish back into the house and announced to The Prisoner that this was the case.  Within minutes he came in demanding to be brushed.  


He looks thinner, and I took about four brushloads of loose fur and burrs off of him before he demanded to go right back outside.  Rubia appeared after the HVAC folks were done and gone.  I had not seen hide nor hair of her since Carl arrived a week ago.

I sat in the coolest room on the main floor (family room), with the fan blowing on my face, waiting for the HVAC visit.  They got a tech out to me in about two hours.  I was very pleased.

By the time he got here, the parlor was up to 83℉.  

My grandmother never did get Central Air in her house, nor did we have it at home when I was a child, and for that matter in our tall old house in New York state, either.  I remember how to Summer... open windows in the morning, about mid-morning close windows and turn on fans.  This is do-able, I thought.

Fortunately, I didn't have to do it that way for very long.

The Verdict

The unit is leaking freon.  He added two pounds, which he said "won't last long, maybe a week" and sent the sales rep over to discuss good-better-best estimates of replacement systems.  Furnace is 13 years old, too.

The sales dude comes, takes a look at the furnace and says it doesn't need to be replaced.  He's selling me a two-speed fan option for the A/C, and they will install it Friday!  Wow!  This is why I keep going back to this firm.  They come out whenever I need them... middle of the night in the Winter, etc.  Yes, it's going to be a budget killer, and may cause something else to be put off, but needs trump wants and nice to haves, right?

Thinking about the week ahead

By bedtime the house had cooled back to normal levels.  I awoke to thunder rumbles, earlier than I might have anticipated.  There was rain on the deck.  As the sunrise approached, some beautiful skies appeared, and of course that fresh rain scent was in the air!

This photo shows the reflected sunrise on the cloud bank rolling in.  

It will be a busy week, post-Carl visit.  Trainer workout today, the A/C install Friday, which is also packet pick up day for the Cornhusker State Games.  I had signed up for only the Volkswalk this year.  My kayaking buddy Geri and I will be doing that one together on the 23rd.  In between, it's blood work time again; I am supposed to drop taking any vitamins/supplements for a week leading up to that.  

It is also time to make appointments for my eye check, and for Rubia's vet needs (I'm thinking she needs rabies booster this year).  And pay taxes.  Sigh.  Life goes on.

But LIFE is good.  So let's all Spark on, and take care of those one-per-person for a lifetime bodies that have been serving us all these years!  ✨💖🔥

14 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful sky shot! Happy to hear the kitties checked in after their company left. Also, good to hear about the A/C. We were like that going without for so long but one summer we just said - enough - and went and got a window one for our apartment. I wouldn't give it up now at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy to get that shot... I had got the camera to take a photo in the other direction, then turned around and was presented with this gift of a photo op! And yes, once we get used to A/C, it's hard to decide to give it up. I'm glad that's not going to be required of me, this week.

      Delete
  2. OHhhhh boy. Glad that the HVAC sales dude was so honest and you ended up w/a 2-speed fan vs. a whole new system.

    Cool picture of the storm rolling in!

    Good luck w/setting up all the appointments. Not easy!

    Covid #'s aren't anticipated to get better for a while now. The Ba.5 variant is soooooo contagious and stealthy. **SIGH** Just practicing precautions. . . as always for the last 3 yrs!

    Here’s to a thankful Thursday.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said the same thing, essentially, as my son did, on hearing what the HVAC guy said. "Sounds like a straight shooter." Sons keeping an eye out for their moms... a blessing in my life and yours.

      Keep on taking those precautions and staying safe! We may want to be done with the virus, but it's not showing any signs of being done with us.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous morning sky!

    Heat Index here 112F. Love our AC. Current unit replaced a 27- year-old unit 3 or 4 years ago. Our go-to AC repair person retired and moved -- he did upgrades only when necessary and made sure we were grandfathered in on current requirements until this was no longer possible.

    Now it would be great without the rolling brownouts of 1 to 2 hours without any forewarning since they are based on usage vs. grid capability. One this week was from 12:50-2:50 a.m. which shut off my C-PAP machine which I use to ward off tachycardia incidents. This had me thinking about folks that are on full-time oxygen or other medical assistive devices for life-threatening conditions. Mental note to self to check if one can request a medical exemption from brownouts.

    Our City+County did away with our 5-level chart and uses CDC's lo-med-high scale. This is based on hospitalizations (% per 100,000), not the type of variants and transmission rates so we show a low risk, while number of positive test results are on the rise. Monkey Pox Virus deemed as being at Community Spread Level.

    Continue to isolate except when absolutely necessary to leave house. Always have a mask on -- worn for about 11 years no due to serious allergies issues to about everything except Oxygen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes on that heat index... stay safe, and gee I wish there were ways to exempt from those rolling brown-outs... but I don't know if they have the tech for it?

      Seems like every place uses different scales. The CDC county map hasn't been updated for the past week. Just using the best we can find and taking precautions as needed.

      Delete
  4. The heat is horrible. My parents never had A/C in the house, but one summer it was so hot in the house that my dad called to have it put in before the following summer.

    Glad Carl had a good visit and is now home. It looks like the cats are happy about it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It added something to my Summer, for sure, to have a nice Carl visit, but with the A/C guys coming to install the new unit today, glad he's safely back with his own people. I'm bracing myself for the circus which hopefully will only last a few hours.

      Delete
  5. Great news that the family made it home safely.
    Rising Covid numbers make me tired and crabby.
    Honest companies build great client data bases.
    I'm sure the kitty enjoyed his brushing and that the dog has left the building.
    Beautiful morning sky.
    Happy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... me too about the "tired and crabby" over Covid. And of course, concerned because I don't know how many guys will be in and out with this install today. Crossing my fingers and hoping it is done by early afternoon, 'cause we're under a heat warning again!

      Delete
  6. Nice picture! You know I appreciate a good shot.
    Poor kitty, it sucks when you don't like dogs.
    Great move on the AC. Yep, a budget buster but the alternative is not a happy compromise. I remember my childhood with open windows, sweaty pj's and the smell of humid low-tide.
    I love AC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... it was a lucky coincidence of "being in the right place at the right time" as most good weather photos are. The AC guys are here now (writing this Friday a.m.) and I'm masked in my own house, just because. Know I'm going to love the finished work, but it's kinda crazy at the moment.

      Delete
  7. I got my annual check-up Monday, fasted blood work Tuesday. E-mail from my Dr this morning; she’s very pleased with all my numbers. Still need to keep taking the Vitamin D though; easy peasy.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Good health news is always welcome, eh? And as you said, "easy peasy" for the vit D.

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...