Friday, July 15, 2022

Out with the old, in with the new

 

Being kicked to the curb is the 20 year old unit, installed in 2002, they tell me.  OK, that's three years after I moved in, so sounds about right.

The dudes showed up as advertised, at 7:30 a.m.  Nice guys (always seem to be well up on their people skills with this outfit).  

After confirming how long they thought this would take, I decided to wait before heading over to pick up my T-Shirt for the State Games.  I haven't collected an event T-Shirt in 2 and a half years... pandemic side effects, eh?

So they took out the old AC, and replaced it with a honking new unit.  My son was over later in the day and he said he'd always felt my old one was "undersized" for the house.  Of course, my son thinks I keep my house as warm as a sauna (79℉ in Summer).  But that's just the warmest room in the house.  It's cooler in other rooms.


Install in progress
I was also set up with a new fancy thermostat, the same general class as the one I had when the furnace was put in 13 years ago.  That thermostat broke a few years back and had been replaced with a simpler one.  

They got done about an hour sooner than advertised, because they were able to fabricate the vent part without going back to the office... right in the back of their truck.

After the workmen left, I went to pick up the t-shirt, stopped to fill Dexter's gas tank... the price of gas has dropped, but I had less shopping discount points this time, and it cost me $29 to put 7 gallons of Super Unleaded fuel in his little tank.

Between gas, groceries, the fence, and now the AC, I feel like I'm stoking the fires of inflation single-handed... but then that's the kind of cycle spending happens in when you own a home.  Agreed, fellows in the same boat?  Oh, yes, and property taxes are due, too, so I put THAT check in the mail.  This is what emergency funds are saved for, but somehow I don't think they cover as many emergencies as they once did.

The fancy thermostat, before I "fixed" the time (they had it set to pm at 11:58 a.m.).

It was after all the errands that my son called to see if he could come collect the one piece of Carl gear I had managed not to get packed up on Friday.  Yep, the remote to Carl's training collar was sitting with the TV remote.

My son had been clothing shopping on my end of town, so it was convenient to stop by, see the new machine, and take his tool home.  He has his start-up paperwork for a paid practicum, the last piece of his MSW program, next Monday.  

That's it from here for today.  Hope everybody is staying cool in all the heat.  Hydrate.  Exercise carefully.

Life is good.  Spark on!

✨💖🔥


14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new unit. After the initial expense, it will no doubt save you some $$$. I like the humidity reading on the thermostat. Very cool!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might, but then again it might not. My son informs me that "room temperature" stored meds start to lose their effectiveness at 77 degrees F. So, starting to set it lower just for that purpose. That may well offset the efficiency of the new unit! I love that it shows the outdoor temp and humidity, too... what's it fighting against?

      Delete
  2. Well that certainly sounds like enough work to do in a day. I like that the themostat is so bright and easy to read. Most are so tiny and dark it is hard to adjust in bad lighting. Enjoy the new cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like the guided set-up, too. I reset it this morning, and was more observant of the features. Learning curve. But that bright screen is nice.

      Delete
  3. Yay for the new A/C! I love the bright screen. At night when I have to turn it on I bring a little lamp because I don't want to turn on the lights and wake up my mom. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to determine if it ever goes dim. It does not, so it would be good for night-time, as long as you aren't trying to sleep in the same room.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your new A/C unit! I love our digi thermostat. Keeps the house more uniformly cooled/heated. Made a difference in the utility bills, too.

    Good luck to DS w/his practicum. I remember mine (back in 1985) but didn’t get paid for it! OH well. It worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my son appreciates all good wishes. I asked him how he's doing yesterday when he stopped over and he mentioned being tired. That trip they just got back from was a LOT of driving! I hope he is rested up by his start date.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your new AC unit!! Home ownership can be quite expensive, I agree! We are on our second replacement for the twelve years we have lived in our current home…seems the salt air at the beach in FL wreaks death and destruction at an alarming rate. We were told that ten years wear was almost a miracle!
    Glad the kitties are home and once again enjoying their Carl-free environment! Have a lovely weekend! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florida's climate can be hard on construction, and especially on metal work! The freeze/thaw cycle up here kills sidewalks and driveways, and streets, for that matter. Guess every place has its plusses and minuses, eh? Still, grateful for the homes we have!

      Delete
  6. Our inside joke is that we are going to 'stimulate the economy' whenever home ownership costs crop up that are above and beyond the regularly scheduled ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed... stimulating the economy, one repair at a time! I've been accusing Carl of being an expensive grand-dog as both the sliding glass door I replaced last year, and the fence repairs this year can be laid at his paws.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...