Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Some toys get bought just to be destroyed

 Particularly true of dog toys.  There are the "almost indestructible" kind and the "bought to be torn to shreds" kind.  Here are a couple that landed in the trash can this week, thanks to Carl's "tender" attention.

One of them is called a "chuck it" ball, intended for indoor fetch.  But at its core is styrofoam, and once he's started to strip the cover, out it goes.  The other is the purple and orange football that was practically indestructible, but Carl managed to get the plastic innards to shred and begin to leak out the holes.  It was a crinkly noise ball, and Carl loves the crinkle noises.  Oh, well, Grandma will just have to order some more for his visit.

Sunday evening, Carl was grumpy.  It was hot outside, the trip to the Grandma dog park was too long ago, and Grandma wasn't paying enough attention to him.  But we made it through to bedtime, and he settled down to a wonderful sleep, which meant Grandma got good sleep, too.

Monday morning, we opted for a leash walk, and Carl was "mostly" good, but there was one other dog being walked on the other side of the street that he wanted to "talk" to, with his big booming barks.  The other dog walker opted to go a different direction, I gave Carl his doggie-sound signal, and we continued to a successful end of the walk.

Meanwhile, "the kids" toured the Badlands National Park on Sunday.  

DIL to be said she was lucky to get this shot early.  Son is not a fan of being photographed.  She said that partway through a meal on Sunday he stated "We've reached our limit of photos of me for the day."  Good job, Son, vocalize your limits.

But look at the different poses, from Toadstool, and now from the Badlands... different weather backdrops, too.  I forget who described Toadstool Geologic Park as being the little brother to the South Dakota Badlands... but in my childhood, I saw the Toadstool park first, then on a separate trip the Badlands... I think I've been out that way five or six times, but certainly not recently.  Three trips in childhood, one with my brother, and my husband and I honeymooned in Wyoming and South Dakota, too.  Good memories!


Home from the leash walk, Carl did another thing Diamond always used to do:  headed out in the back yard and checked the perimeter!  


Grandma makes potato salad for her lunch, but looks up what Carl can have.  So he gets a small bite of hard boiled egg, to lick the non-fat Greek Yogurt tub, and a few small bites of cooked potato before it goes in the big bowl.


Monday was also laundry day... washing the bedding, even though I know I will wash it again after Carl goes home.  Sometimes you just have to accept that this is how it is, you can't smell like a dog for another night!

Tuesday morning, Prisoner came to the sound of me filling his food dish in its hiding spot, rubbed up against my legs and purred.  He's going to need some serious de-burring after Carl goes home.  Here's his audition for feral cat status:  

Thankfully, Prisoner is a very forgiving cat.  I have yet to spot Rubia "in the wild" this trip, and I have to wonder if she's adopted another neighborhood family.  I would not put it past her.


On Monday, the intrepid travelers headed East across South Dakota, reaching Chamberlain, to visit the Dignity sculpture, then later the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.  Along the way, they had to find Sinclair Dino statues for Lacey to pose with.  You'd be amazed how many of them are scattered across South Dakota!




They made it to Sioux Falls by evening.  We shall see what today brings, but we're getting close to the number of sleeps his Daddy told Carl to expect.  One more sleep to go!

Carl's visit has been good for Grandma in so many ways, but she'll be glad to let the kitties have their house back.  Here's hoping all of you who might be following along are taking good care of yourselves, through this Summer (in the Northern hemisphere).  Today is a bit cooler here, and promises to be the most pleasant weather day of the week, so soak it up if that's true of your neck of the woods, too.  Hydrate, breathe, and nourish your body.  Then when the day is done, it will be enough for the day, so let it go, and rest.

Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥✨💖

16 comments:

  1. Oh Miss Lilly is good @ destructive, too! LOL

    Awwww, bet Carl enjoyed tasting Grandma’s ingredients for the potato salad. Nice@

    Sounds like the intrepid duo is having a great trip! Nice.

    bArb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl has enjoyed several small tastes of Grandma ingredients, over the course of the week. A bite of cauliflower, and of course the ultimate bribery food for him is cheese, carefully doled out.

      I have been impressed with how fast Carl learns to hold still on the way into the house from the garage, to avoid getting his leash caught on the folding door to the basement. And how just a soft reminder to stay down on the deck gets immediate obedience.

      One more day to keep the canine safe before his regular people come get him!

      Delete
  2. IMHO, there are no indestructible dog toys. We have a "dump" dog that was of an uncertain age, but well past puppy days, when he showed up on our back deck. He's been in residence now for about 7 years. He will chew anything/everything, not only those indestructible toys, but solar walkway lights, small/medium size flower pots, water hoses, dog dishes, (I now use paper bowls) and other miscellany. Ugh!

    We made many trips through those areas many eons ago. I appreciate the virtual tag-along to rekindle those memories. Youngest DD was here from SD last week for a visit, so we dragged out the photo albums and reminisced about those travels. Her home is on the south eastern/north eastern corner of SD and NE.

    Have a happy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd recognize the Sioux Falls, Pallisades Park area, then. That's where the photos came from today. And they found a Pizza di Paolo in Sioux Falls. This made a fine "inside joke" as di Paolo is a family name, and came up on their phone order.

      I agree with you, no dog toys are indestructible... and a lot of things that are NOT dog toys even less so. I'm pleased with how "good" Carl has been this visit, and hope it lasts until his Daddy comes to collect him. One more big sleep to go.

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of Kong toys although I have found a couple of off-brand hard-rubbery chew toys at Tractor Supply which took weeks of concentrated effort for my son's pit bull (Mr Tyson Murphy) to destroy. My farm dogs would rather drag up old cow bones and, a while back, a perfectly preserved pony hoof - no telling where they found it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two Kongs here this week... one I bought, and one that son dropped off with Carl. If I put in a treat, it takes Carl less than ten minutes to extract it, even if I stuff it with peanut butter. Anyway, it is a nice thing to have around when I need to distract him from grumpies for a while.

      Delete
    2. The best "really need to chew on something" thing son dropped off is in fact an old bone.

      Delete
  4. When DD2 acquired Chewy, 5 years ago, she gave him all of Oscar's toys...and he lived between 2002 and 2012! He chewed rawhide bones, my fingers, afghans, towels and blankets and when he went blind he accidently chewed the chair leg support thinking it was his bone which was directly under him. The toys were pristine!

    Aww, you'll be lonely for a half a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice loved toys! The best kind. I donated some of Diamond's unopened / unused things, others were not appropriate for Carl when he came, but a few things got named "Grandma's house" toys.

      Cool morning on Wednesday, and somebody is a whiner this morning. Grandma didn't sleep terribly well, but Carl has already figured out that Grandma gets up at 5 a.m. and he licked me awake, anyway. Bathed in dog saliva, I'm channeling Lucy from Peanuts.

      Delete
  5. Looks like Carl is having a nice vacation too. I agree about photos. I didn't mind so much when I was younger but now not so much, mostly because what I think I look like in my head is not what comes out of a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... isn't it true? We still feel on the inside like the younger selves we used to be!

      Delete
  6. Scoots loves his toys and I can't throw any of them out. He enjoys ripping them apart and taking all the stuffing out. He then walks around slapping it back and forth, weird dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scoots has Terrier in his mix, right? He's killing the rodents! I don't want Carl to eat the stuffing, so when he rips things up, I'm picking up after him and putting the "innards" in the trash.

      Delete
  7. My nephews’ pup gives his hu-mom his toys when the insides start coming out. Depending on the toy my sister will stitch some of them back together for him. He sits watching attentively the whole time.
    - RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, what a sweet pup! And what a sweet hu-mom, too!

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...