Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Random thoughts

 

The world keeps on spinning, doesn't it?  Sorrows in some spots, thrills in others, but going onward.  There are random things that trigger memories and musings... one morning it was a Facebook meme, asking in the next life, would we want our mother to still be our mother?

Of course one would expect there is a knee-jerk reaction to that one, right?  I wouldn't be who I am had I had a different mother.  Both my strengths and my weaknesses, what I learned and what I didn't, all came from how I was raised, when I was without the presence or attention of my mother, what other adults stepped in an offered lessons not provided by her, etc.

Where it took me was back to something my mother said about questions like "what would you do if you had a million dollars?"  She had no use for such fantastical questions.  "It doesn't matter what I think I might do with a million dollars.  I don't have a million dollars.  It's a waste of time!"

I feel about the same way about "if you could change something in your earlier life and do it differently, what would it be and why?"  You cannot change the past.  But you can resolve to do sommething different "next time".  

The beauty of "next time" is something that allows you to atone for past mistakes, by changing current habits.

Remember my neighbor across the street, the one with the new baby?  Would you believe that baby is now over 40 days old?  In the Uzbek tradition, the new mom is to pass treats around to her neighbors, having kept the baby safe and healthy for those 40 days.  Here's what she brought over.  It's bread.  And it's ART!




It was as yummy as it looks, by the way.





Friday morning I was scheduled to go paddle a kayak at 9 a.m.  I didn't feel great when I got up.  In the end, I decided to cancel that one.  It was the right decision.  I was able to get in a lovely paddle on the 3rd with the kids (see separate blog).

Had a little bit of a start yesterday as the news filled up with a manhunt.  When they finally announced they had a "person of interest" and gave his name, age, car make and model, did a "hide the cars" knee-jerk.  Dexter is a silver Honda Fit!

Fortunately, we don't live in Illinois, so were probably never in the search zone, but we have three silver Honda Fits in the family.  None of those of us driving them are skinny 21 year old males, though.  Any law enforcement trying to pull over any of the three of us would have had no trouble, but methinks they would have tossed us back after having given us heart attacks for being stopped at all.

These are not the droids you're looking for.  They can go about their business.  Later I heard something that made our innocent little cars feel better.  It was not the person of interest's car... the little Honda was his mother's vehicle.  

This morning the bathroom remodelers came over to sit through the process.  They promised to send me links for selections of stuff.  I'm still worried about the budgetary impact, but they are booking all the way out in December, so there's time to make those choices.

Tomorrow we start the week of canine adventures, as Carl is due to arrive.  I have cleared the calendar.

Prayers for our nation in all its turmoil, for the world in its various wars and famine, and for our families as we survive the storms of life.  Take care of yourselves, fellow Spark veterans / refugees, so as to be better equipped to deal with it all.  And at the end of each day, recognize the good in it, and let it go.  It is enough.  You have earned your rest.

Life is good.  Spark on!



16 comments:

  1. Oooh, the bread looks good. What a nice tradition.

    Yes, we are living in odd times. I do my best to keep an even keel so I can weather it.
    Questions, questions. My history is tattooed in my genes and my upbringing. Had I been raised by gypsies I'd be so different, maybe a bit more colorful, but I'd not be the me I've come to love. However, I'd like to think of all the good things I could do IF I ever won a million dollars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tied myself in knots over the question of what I'd do if I had lots of money... which is why I don't play the lottery. I would make a lousy rich person. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Oooo...the bread! My kryptonite! It would have been gone in one sitting, accompanied by a cup of hot coffee. Yummy!!

    I do love your posts. I always learn something new and it usually surprises me.
    "These are not the droids you're looking for. They can go about their business." ~ Obi Wan
    You are a Star Wars fan!! At least from the accurate quote, that's my educated guess.

    Good luck with the bathroom remodel. Tomorrow I'm supposed to be visited by the gutter guys for gutter and down spouts install. This has been going on for a couple of months now, so I think I won't hold my breath.

    I am happy with the person I've become. I have been defined by all the people who have come into my life and influenced me in some way.

    Have a sparkly week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, correct... both Star Wars and Star Trek. Currently enjoying the "Brave New Worlds" latest iteration. I've become dis-enamored of "Discovery". But some Star Wars lines have entered pop culture.

      Now I'm getting links from the bathroom remodel guys asking me to choose styles and finishes. I got through three of them and ran out of gas with the fourth. Giving it a rest for a bit.

      Spark on!

      Delete
  3. This is a crazy time in our country.

    I'm a true believer in not changing a thing about the past if given that choice. I'm good with me and the person I am today. If I didn't go through all of that when I was younger I would be different.There's always a lesson there, but it's up to us to learn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure most of my readership are in that same camp: we are who we are because of both mistakes AND successes. Who'd want to be "perfect" anyway? I have always learned more from getting something wrong than "right the first time"... although I have to admit to feeling a sense of victory when I do get it right the first time.

      It's about the struggle and the overcoming!

      Delete
  4. I thought it was the times but then kinda looked back and there is no time in history ever that wasn't a weird time, that people weren't being awful to each other. It is the way of it but we, each of us, can just try to do better, be kinder, help more and be the helpers in the crowd that Mr. Rodgers mother said to look for. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. We can never rest on our historical laurels... and each generation seems to have to learn their own lessons.

      Delete
  5. First of all, you’re right on your take about what to do w/a million and changing the past! I am keeping my head above water dealing with the PRESENT! LOL And the past made us who we are! That’s a GOOD thing.

    What a wonderful tradition your neighbor kept. That bread does look absolutely delicious!

    Yes, what a tragedy in Highland Park. I grew up close to that area. Never would think of such a thing in that area! *SIGH** Different times. But for sure so many things wrong with the whole picture. This kid had purchased FIVE guns. Had obvious signs of mental illness (suicidal ideation, speaking of killing others). **SIGH** One of his uncle’s being interviewed said he thought that was all normal. Ok then. SERIOUSLY! This world is upside down.

    OH enjoy Carl time!

    HUGS
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tradition. In 1972 when I was a secretary in NC to a group of software engineers, one who was very shy & quiet showed up one morning in the office where 5 of us secretaries were. He was carrying a huge box of delectable Greek breads and pastries explaining that it was his birthday (aka name day in Greece) and it was his tradition to share his day with others.

    Enjoy the Carl time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to follow that tradition at a couple of places I worked... that way people could choose how to celebrate their own day, and no one got "forgotten".

      Delete
  7. I entered a writing contest in elementary school answering a variation of the mother question. There was a ceremony and brunch… my mom was so proud that I won… I miss her so much…😔💔😢
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You clearly were raised by a wonderful mom, and those kinds of memories will stay with you forever! Hugs!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I did, every bite, thanks! A talent I have never nurtured, bread-making, so very much appreciate that my neighbor has!

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...