Thursday, February 2, 2023

Unexpected day off

 

I was still sipping my first coffee of the day, the one I drink black so that my fast extends a bit.  The phone dinged with a message... turns out the trainer has a cold, so, no scheduled workout today.  

My reaction was somewhat like a kid with a snow day... what will I do instead?  Maybe do a little lifting on my own, but in my mind, I'm thinking, "I need new running socks." (The ones I put on this morning are developing holes in the toes.)  "And a new pair of running shoes, it's been nearly a year."

Meanwhile, on the back deck, we had a visitor!

This one is a regular.  What usually happens is that The Prisoner takes exception at some point and chases him off.  They can be together peacefully for a while, but eventually, The Prisoner expresses himself.

Rawoal! 


Onward with Thursday.  I did a few reps of weights, and paced steps in the house.  

Then I followed through on my desire to go shop for shoes and socks.  I hadn't bought any in the store for a couple of years.  Last year I had ordered them online, delivered to my house.


But today, I wanted to see the people, and try on the shoes.  The shop owner, Lori, was in today, and we hadn't seen one another in quite some time.  She was petting a visiting canine, and I stopped to greet "Mocha" who was being socialized by her runner humans.  The name seems quite appropriate to her coloring.

As for the shoes, here are the ones that came home with me.  One Nike, one New Balance.  Both neutral running shoes.  And three pair of crew socks, to replace a few pair.  Funny, clothing does wear out!

I spent quite some time in the shop, visiting, and telling my little old lady tales to a new audience.  It's the staff's fault... they ask leading questions, and I'm off and running, so to speak.  Tried on three pair of shoes, taking a jogging lap in each, and brought two home.  They gave me a nice clearance price on the Nike pair.

Once home, I've already put those Nikes on for an indoor jog.  There's nothing quite like new running shoes to lift the spirits and the motivation to move!  At least for me!

Here's hoping you all are doing your own best to take good care of that precious gift, the one and only body you've been issued for your lifetime.  Nutrition to support your immune system, plenty of hydration, remembering to breathe, a bit of activity, and rest... all important to balance our lives.

And Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥👀💖



19 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your trainer has a cold. BUT nice to have an unexpected day off.

    Fun! New shoes, new socks and you got to socialize. Nice!

    Meanwhile, Prisoner is the defender of the homestead! LOL

    Enjoy the new shoes.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the trainer mends quickly, in time for next Tuesday. He's due to go vacationing mid-February, so would like to get a couple workouts in before he goes. But health first, of course!

      Prisoner does OK by his territory, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the shoes/socks…it really is motivational, isnt it?! Sounds like everyone at the store was happy to see you and pay respect to you and your experiences….that’s really cool! Love your cat visitor…we had a cat that would tolerate a feline visitor for a certain amount of time and then run him off, just like Prisoner! Seems like you had a nice day! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a lovely day. Hope yours was as well!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes things happen the way they are meant. New shoes, new socks, and good conversation with friends. A brilliant day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt very good about the day. I'm sure the sunshine didn't hurt my mood, either!

      Delete
  4. I guess it was meant to be and you had a good day shopping and talking with friends.

    Scooter would never allow any animal in his yard. He chases the rabbits, squirrels and birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reluctant to consider someone else's cold "meant to be", but I really enjoyed the day. Good for Scooter, depending his home turf!

      Delete
  5. Oooooo, I like the looks of both pairs! ❤️ Ace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice choices! I am like you, asked a leading question and I am off too. Can't help myself. - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have motivated me to get new socks! I'd a drawer full of 'experimental' types that slid into the shoes or just didn't feel right, so I pulled them out and will stick them in my donation bag. New shoes sound like the thing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t bought shoes in quite a few years. Every now and then I put on a pair of my “old” running shoes and they still feel cushiony and brand new (since I havent run since before the 2017 car accident). I half expect to put them on and have them just fall apart off my feet🤭

    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a pair of shoes disintegrate on my feet... at my brother's funeral, no less. So no kidding, it can happen!

      Delete
    2. Before his growth spurt I gave my nephew some of my shoes and they fell apart on him! 😊 I know it happens.
      Sad they don’t last forever in tip-top shape.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...