Thursday, March 9, 2023

Grateful every day, week of March 5 - 11, 2023

 

A fresh new week to nourish gratitude in our hearts!

Sunday, March 5, 2023

Today I am thankful to be included in the family outings, like taking the dog to the run today.  It's not an every day obligation, it's a treat!  

I am further thankful for the mobility to be able to engage in this kind of outing, where the terrain is not always smooth.

I have noticed over time that I'm a bit more self-restricting of certain kinds of obstacles, that require too long a stride, or balancing on slippery footing, etc.  The stepping stones, that aren't necessarily level, but have slanted surfaces is one at this dog park.  Then I remember I'm 70, and to be grateful to have as many options as I do!

Monday, March 6, 2023

Today I am thankful for recreational reading.  Diving into a Debbie Macomber light romance is like having dessert after several non-fiction reads.

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Today I am thankful for oatmeal.  May seem odd, but this go-to breakfast cereal that's been with me from childhood up, qualifies as a healthy comfort food for me.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

It's international day of the woman.  Today I am thankful for all the women who blazed the trails to make it possible to live the professional life I did.  I missed some of the social changes (grew up in the era when girls were only allowed to wear slacks to school on "gym day" or if the weather was brutal (snow pants).  But I was among the first of the girls allowed to take classes like "electronics" and "drafting".  For this, I am thankful.

Thursday, March 9, 2023


Taking time today to be thankful for the life of my nephew, Dubart, who left us all too soon.  I will never forget the phone call from his mother letting me know of his passing in 2011 (she's gone now, too).  Funny how sometimes God speaks through us because I had no idea what I was going to say, but it ended up as "a life does not need to be long to be meaningful".  Thank you, Father, for putting those words there at the right time.  Today would have been his 48th birthday.  He was a gentle giant of a man who had to bend at the waist to hug short little me.

Friday, March 10, 2023

Today I am thankful that my siblings are so much still a part of my life.  We aren't a "call every day" or "dinner every week" kind of family, never were, but the easy acceptance of one another's differences and similarities and the ability to laugh at ourselves is such an automatic connection.  Happy Birthday to my sister Alicia, today!

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Today I'm thankful I don't have to go anywhere!  Sleet / frozen bits on my deck this morning have my feet choosing to stay indoors, and I am thankful I can make that choice.

Tomorrow it will be time to start a fresh gratitude post, too!

28 comments:

  1. Yes, balance is definitely an issue for me! I have ear dysfunctions, and that certainly doesn't help BUT . . . it doesn't stop me from doing things, that's for sure. I just think things through! I have a balance ball that I use and find it has helped me regain more of a sense of balance.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty good "most of the time" with balance, but I get skittish in certain scenarios, especially since my "big" fall in 2016. Gee, that's over six years back, and it still feels recent.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've said it! Lately we've been working a small project that required using a 3-step stool, we each had one. You'd have thought we were climbing Everest. I broke out my go-to solid chair to stand on and found I can't step up on it anymore!!!! I used to put my foot on the seat and stand up. Ha-ha. I had to kneel on the seat and then try to stand. It was a struggle, but I did it. I don't think I'll be doing that much longer! AFter all, I'll be 69 next month and perhaps should start acting my age (not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You young thing, you! Seriously, when you think about things that could go wrong and that you don't bounce the way you used to, it makes you self-edit your behavior!

      Delete
  3. Nine years ago, I slipped on a patch of ice on the deck. I broke my right fibula and broke off the fibula head. I heard it snap when I went down. Six years ago, I had a total knee replacement on that same leg.
    My balance is the pits, but I'm certainly grateful that, with care, I'm still able to walk and live independently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That independence... so prized... so gratitude worthy! I now totally understand my grandmother's expressed wishes to "not be a burden" on their children.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy reading Debbie Macomber for the very same reason! Many of her books are available as free e-books through our local library. I appreciate having a new book easily accessible- instant gratification. (It comes in many forms. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of two or three "go-to" authors for me when I need that kind of a break from the books that kind of seem like "homework".

      Delete
  5. The last warm, sunny day for a couple of weeks. I'm glad I was able to take the 55 mile drive through the countryside to leave a new decoration and pick up the old things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an appropriate way to honor the passage of time on significant days. Glad the weather cooperated, "one more time". (hugs)

      Delete
  6. I love oatmeal, too!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food prep day. Baked chicken tenderloins to have with my salads. Oatmeal is sometime a supper meal. πŸ₯£ I'm grateful for variety.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You turned me on to steel cut oatmeal, Alton Brown taught me toasting it first for a nutty flavor! I'm just now able to put it back in my diet. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I still do the steel cut kind every so often, for a change up, but the rolled oats cook in less time. Variety!

      Delete
  9. Happy Int'l Women's Day. So much work to do still for women's rights, but we've come a long way. Grateful for the road paved for us by the brave women before us!

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ”️They climbed a mountain to pave that road!

      Delete
  10. Happy International Women's Day. This woman cleaned house all day. Ugh! I'm tired! But it's a good tired. 🧹🧽 πŸ₯±

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very sorry for your loss. Searching for the right words is difficult.
    Always grateful for the help from Above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ™Can't get through a day without that kind of help!

      Delete
  12. Awwwwww! HUGS on the anniversary of your nephew’s passing. What you said is just perfect.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️πŸ™This was his birthday, he passed in February 2011.

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday, ACE! Nice to be close to family.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to ACE!! I am grateful for today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a raw,rainy day here. I'm grateful for a warm home with no where to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a lot like our weather here! Glad you could "tuck in" today, too.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...