Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Prisoner says...

 

Sigh.  Again!  Why is it when you know someone who lives in a town... or someone who works for a company... or someone who goes to a church... and something awful happens there (or near there), it's just ever so much worse?

Nashville.  Private Christian School.  Only a couple miles from the private Chirstian school my trainer's grandson, T, (age 5) attends.  We talked about the question his daughter in law asked his wife:  should we talk about it with T?

My own advice:  not unless he asks about it.  Otherwise, at age 5, if he's not aware, you don't need to turn his little world into a scarier place.

When I was six or seven, there was a killing spree going on in and near our state's capital city.  I was clueless.  We didn't have a TV.  My parents did not mention it.  I only found out years later about what happened back then.  The men in our little town, miles away, armed up and guarded.  As kids we might have noticed our dads behaving differently, but we were secure in our little worlds with our siblings, moms, and school days.  It did not last terribly long (a few days).  The guy was caught, tried, and executed.  For the longest time (decades) he was "the last prisoner executed" in our state.  The name Starkweather still has a black mark against it in these parts.

Life has changed considerably in the 60 plus years since then.  But the factor of local impact has not changed.  It's baked into our psyches... "it wouldn't happen here".  Until it does.

On a lighter note:  finding old TV shows I used to watch with my mom.  They are on Pluto, the free streaming service.  "Have Gun, Will Travel"... anybody remember that one?  Ancient "Avengers", the one with Steed before Emma Peele!  The ones with Honor Blackman!  Always something old.  And the memory is weak enough I have to watch them the way my dad used to re-watch old movies:  "to see if it turns out different this time"!

Wednesday morning I drove to the election commission office and turned in my ballot.  I don't know what kind of laws will be passed before the autumn elections, but we're still able to vote from home / by mail for the primary and city elections.  It's an interesting mayoral race, kind of a mix between referendum on how our current mayor handled the pandemic, and two other candidates one who is already spewing negative ads against the mayor, and the remaining one steering a more "middle" road, with a "not a politician, I'm a leader".  The top two, regardless of political affiliation will go on to the general.  So the trick is to pick the one most likely to result in the candidate you really want winning the general, right?  Narrow balance beam, there.

There have been some "reading list" issues, but seriously, I've been in the cave since last weekend... last posted on the gratitude list on Saturday.  

Hope all are hanging in there!

Despite whatever else is showing up, LIFE, itself, is good.  Spark on!


17 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Paladin...a favorite of my dad's. The shootings are sad, senseless, and the idiots in DC need to do something constructive. I'm glad you're okay. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That show taught me the term "paladin" and my mother explained its meaning, years before it became a role name in Dungeons and Dragons.

      "Something constructive", yes.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back! Missed your blogs.

    Turned in our ballots the other day to one of the drop-off boxes. We have 17 people running for mayor here. Only a couple of them are actually putting out commercials and making there case for our vote. We had a gun already pass to have a 3 day waiting period when buying a gun. It's a start.

    My heart breaks every time we hear a new shooting. Things can only change when a certain political party decides lives are more important than an object.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local politicians decided that there would be no "drop boxes" other than at the election commission. During the height of the pandemic we had them at local libraries. Roll with it, and make sure you still voice your vote, right?

      Our hearts get tired of breaking, and scar over. Some people in power count on this.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, if the child asks then just answer their question and don't give more than needed. They are too young and don't need to be scared out of the feeling that mommy and daddy keep everything safe always. Most times in our elections all those running are no different from the other one. All saying what they think will get them elected and then doing what they please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we become cynical, and fewer men (or women) of good will stand for election. Sigh. But who am I to talk if I, too, shrink back?

      Delete
  4. The Prisoner is a beauty and appears quite comfortable! When my brother and I were kids, we had a board game called Have Gun Will Travel…don’t really remember anything about it though, LOL! I, too, enjoy many of the old TV shows from decades ago!
    As it turns out, I did test positive for Covid yesterday, so I join DH on the meds…boohoo…so, that definitely kicks my morning walks to the curb for awhile! Hope that you have a good day! Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so sorry about the Covid result... hope the meds do the trick to keep it a mild (and hopefully short) case. If even Dr. Osterholm, with all his knowledge and common sense care-taking, can come down with it and wonder how he did... well, just hunker down and get better, and move on from there!

      ((( hugs )))

      Delete
  5. Richard Boone as Paladin popped into my mind as soon as I read "Have Gun Will Travel". Enjoyed that show & was impressed with someone having a calling card. I 'Googled' the meaning of the word paladin 'cuz of your comment. That is my "something new" learned today.

    The horrific, senseless slaughter of children (any human being) is a commentary of the sad, confusing times we live in. And to think I felt the 1960's were about as bad as things could get now seems very naive.

    For starters, the weapons of mass destruction need to be banned with the exception of military usage they were designed for. Tighter restrictions that are enforced for ownership of other guns seems to be logical common sense. Our state however is going the opposite direction by eliminating the licensed permit to carry concealed weapons and making open carry fine. Our local homocide by gunfire rates are soaring. Sigh.

    Yet, the world keeps spinning and we have 2 new great-nieces and just learned another niece or nephew is due in September.

    Keep on keeping on!

    PHOENIX1949





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the upcoming addition to the family, as well as vibes of rejoicing for the most recent great-nieces joining it! Somehow, each new generation gives the hope of the preservation of innocence. May we do our best to make it happen!

      And having looked up the word "paladin" do you now understand the iconic chess piece on his business card?

      (( hugs ))

      Delete
    2. Back to 'Google'. I didn't make the connection to the chess piece being on his card. Do now. Thank you.
      PHOENIX1949

      Delete
    3. LOL! Welcome to the cult of old TV.

      Delete
  6. Yes, life growing up was much safer, in my opinion. I just do not know WHERE anyone is safe anymore, honestly.

    Oh my, Have Gun, Will Travel, Bonanza, the Big Valley, Gunsmoke. All entertaining!

    Prisoner looking suitably regal!

    I would have given your trainer the same advice At 5, that little one doesn’t need to take on more heartache than he may be aware of and ask about.

    Just cannot understand for the life of me what any ordinary citizen needs an automatic weapon for. **sigh**

    hugs and peace
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entertaining on the screen, but would we really want to live in those stories? I don't think I would, really... but they are comforting in their simplicity of right and wrong. The real world is more complex and nuanced. And probably if we peeked around the corners of the fictional stories (all solved within 30 to 60 minutes and the good guys always won)... we might also find layers of nuance.

      Hugs and peace!

      Delete
  7. I was in 4th/5th grade when a boy from my class was found killed in an alley 😔 It really does pull you out of your safe kid world. I found out from school, arriving and seeing the news media and not knowing/understanding what was going on. Awful, just awful.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that happened in your young life. I lost a classmate to diabetes when I was in 2nd grade, so the discussion about dying had to be held... and obviously in 6th grade, when another classmate was hit by a car and died, too. But it wasn't anything like the violence those poor kids had to deal with in their own classrooms.

      Clearly when the kids know, the discussion has to be had, and it's sad that it does, but if they don't know... let them keep their innocence for the time being.

      Delete
    2. My sis is 2 yrs younger than me, I think I was in 3rd grade when we saw one of her classmates get hit by a car. She was being chased by someone and she ran out into the street. We saw her fly over the car and land on the pavement in an unnatural position. My mom hid our faces into her body, but my sister was already crying. We walked home really upset that day. Found out the next day she broke both legs, but was alive.
      We can’t be innocent forever, but I agree, if they don’t know, let them be.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...