Saturday, March 4, 2023

Marching forth into National Son's Day

 

The photo is from four years ago, when my son adopted Carl.  Apparently, there is a debate about just when National Son's Day is.  I choose the one that gives me an easy way to remember:  "march forth".

Saturday morning, bright and early, Andy's Appliance of Lincoln, Nebraska showed up at my house, both the same experienced guy who came out in 2020 (remember when my water softener blew up and I needed to have the washing machine and dishwasher checked out for residual damage?), and a new guy who was assessing whether he wanted to go into this line of work.

It took them less than ten minutes to assess the issue.  I showed them where I'd found the ice (see prior blog) and water, let them know there were no temperature issues, I'd not had any food spoil, and showed them the drip tray that was bone dry, then left them to assess.  Short time later, they called me down and showed me where the ice was forming, and blocking the drainage of the defrost tube.  They gave me an estimate, including the service call, the parts and repair, and it was considerably less than a new 'fridge would have been, so I OK'd it.  20 minutes later, they were on their way and I have my working 23 year old machine.  

As Jeremy (repair guy) said, "The old machines are so much better than what they are building today, that even if the estimate to repair was $900 I would recommend repair rather than replace."  That's the same message he gave me about my washing machine back in 2020.  These machines could keep running for another 20 years.  

I've been invited to the dog park tomorrow, with Lacey and Jon and Lacey's folks to celebrate Carl's birthday.  I'm not sure of the exact date of his "birthday" but tomorrow looks like the best weather day for romping at the dog run.  This is the one with the obstacle course.  We'll see how he does this time.

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!


14 comments:

  1. That's awesome that an easy repair was all the fridge needed. AMEN to the fact that the new models do . . . not . . . hold . . . up!

    Happy birthday to Carl! BIG boy!

    And happy Son day to the mythical son!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful to have found a local repair company I feel I can rely on for these things!

      Delete
  2. Happy Son Day to DS. Happy Birthday to Carl! Good that you are able to get the fridge repaired. I feel the same way about cars. All the computers on the new 'smart' cars can be programed or hacked to fail, much like the 'smart' houses of today. Anymore, the old ways appear to be the 'smart' ways. Enjoy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AI can lead to some pretty scary horror stories!

      Delete
  3. Wow, lucky you! These guys sound like they are honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I really trust the plumbing folks who recommended them in 2020, so I figured their recommendation was good, and I was right. One thing I really appreciate about both firms is that they train new technicians. And we really need businesses that invest in young talent!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to Carl! I hope he gets lots of treats.

    That is so good about the machines and how honest they're being. Sometimes its hard to find honest workers. I hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very fortunate to have found some reliable firms that believe in bringing new workers along in the tradition.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it is tough to even find anyone who knows how to fix the old machine anymore really. I remember the TV repair guy who would come out to fix old burnt out tubes, you saw his truck all over town but now not a sign at all. Great news yours is fixed! I would love to get my grandfather's radio fixed - that would be something. Happy Birthday Carl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this problem when I lived in the Southern Tier of New York. With a 1901 Sears Catalog house we had plenty of things that needed fixing, but since we moved there as young parents, we weren't hooked in to the local recommendation network. Find one good repair dude and stick with him is great, but first you have to find that one!

      Good luck finding one for your grandfather's radio! Is it one of those big old ones with the vacuum tubes inside?

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a relatively simple fix for your fridge - my ex picked a Subzero fridge (commercial grade) for our house which is now 30 years old… last year we had to have the compressor replaced for the freezer which was about $800 (cheaper than a new fridge!)
    It’s Val again - my iPad wants me to remain anonymous 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you identify your "anonymous" self, as I have three or four regulars who come across as "anonymous", all good former Sparkers who generally let me know which they are.

      I'll bet that commercial grade fridge lasts very well.

      Delete
  7. Yup, I know they don’t make the new stuff like the old trusty stuff. Repair, repair, repair!

    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they keep making parts for them (and there are enough "believers" to devise, learn, and purchase the fixes), I'm happy to keep on repairing!

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...