Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Weddings and Funerals

 

The universe has its own odd sense of timing.  Just as I'd been echoing the loss of my nephew all those years ago, this week I got a message from my son about the loss of his fiancée's cousin.  You see, the nephew I had lost was his first cousin, this new loss is hers.

Grandma will be called upon Monday and Tuesday as the funeral requires an overnight stay for the soon to be wed couple.  It makes sense that I take Carl on as a visitor, since I'm on the periphery of this one.  

In any case, heart attacks in younger adults shake things up considerably.  This particular cousin was only 44, and this was totally unexpected.  That's barely 5 years older than my son and his intended.  A young (to me) mom, she leaves a husband and a middle school aged child behind, which adds to the disruption in their family.

I lost a first cousin myself when we as a were in our 30's.  Since cousins tend to be our initial play group as children this can be huge.  My heart aches for the younger generation that is learning this pain now.


Sunday morning:  Spring forward

Time goes on, like a river, flowing.  There's this rock at the pit of my stomach thinking of losses and their cycle.  But that river, it keeps on flowing, even if you think your world has stopped.  The wider world has not.

I woke this morning with all my clocks automatically change, except two.  The microwave and the car clocks are still manual changes.  I was pleased to discover that I didn't have to look up how to change the car clock this time!

I finished reading Debbie MacComber's A Walk Along the Beach.  Tissue box required.  It was dedicated to the memory of a friend of hers who had passed from cancer.  The content's mixture of sad and of course happy romantic ending was sure to bring on the leaky eyes.

Back to the non-fiction for the week ahead!

Monday:  Carl arrival day

My son dropped Carl off at 2 p.m., as promised.  Carl was a good boy.  Until bedtime.  He did not like having to stay overnight and whined for his "regular" humans.  It doesn't help that Grandma is a morning person, and his daddy is a night owl.  But we're doing well.  Grandma got up in the 1 a.m. hour, put on her shoes, coat, hat and gloves, and clipped a leash on his collar to take him out in the backyard to sniff and tinkle.  Then got up for good (gave up and got up) in the 4 a.m. hour to do it again. 

Which reminds me:  he's doing GREAT with the collar training!  He slows to grandma pace when I say to do so.  He's not pulling.  His "paw-rents" are doing a fine job of preparing him for his role to come. 

He's guarding the house against the cats who actually live here.  I scolded him about it Monday afternoon/evening.  "Prisoner lives here.  YOU are a guest!"  Nonetheless, The Prisoner bolted from his normal post on the deck rail.  Rubia is in the house, hiding in the basement.  She has a litter box down there, at least.

Some might ask why I put Carl on a leash when I have a fenced yard?  Well, he's mostly black.  It's night time.  And I have cataracts, to boot.  Better safe than sorry.  "OK, Google".  "Lumos".  I don't even have to touch the screen to turn on my phone's flashlight, thank goodness. 

Anyway, I asked my son for an update on the family and how they're holding up.  Predictably, the departed's young son is having a hard time.  That too-young man had said:  "I don't know how to deal with this."  That's a very mature statement for someone his age.  I said to my son that nobody does.  "When I go, you will have a hard time, even if I'm 97 by the time I do."  He just wrapped me up in a huge hug.

I'm trusting him to take care of his lady-love.  He's being there.  That's 90% of it.

I'm also wondering if this visit is going to make the honeymoon visit better or worse, as they're coming to get him Tuesday evening, and the honeymoon will be considerably longer.  

Life is good.  Keep Sparkin'!





12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the loss, the best is just being there I think too. It is so much easier to change the time in the car than it use to be. I remember on one car needing a paper clip to poke the recessed button and hold it while it cycled through and heaven help you when it would zoom past the time and you had to keep holding it through another cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those days, too. Glad I don't have to do THAT any more! But the first few years, even the "easy", "intuitive" interface was challenging to me! I learned long ago "intuitive" just means you're trained on something similar!

      Delete
  2. So sorry! That's a tough one to take.

    I get the same treatment from Chewy now that he's older. The first night he was here last time he slept in his dog carrier by the front door. I got up at 4, invited him to bed and he snuggled in. I swear if he had arms he would have wrapped them around me. He spent 5 days staring at the front door but was happier to be with me. The nighttime trips out also dissolved by night 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first night of any visit is the roughest for the pup. This morning I got the message from his "mommy" asking how he did, and saying to wish him a happy birthday (they have decided his actual birthday is March 14th).

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to read of the family's loss.

    Poor kitties! They have to surrender their comfort for the benefit of visiting relatives. Similar to the kitties, I remember having to give up my place at the table to visiting cousins. ☺️ ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      This morning the Prisoner came to the door and I slipped his food dish out while Carl was snoozing on the couch. Then I bundled Carl into the car and took him to the dog park to run, in the hopes The Prisoner might be able to eat some breakfast in peace. Sigh. It's not easy being low "beast" on the totem pole.

      Delete
  4. Awwww, my condolences to DS’s fiancée. Safe travels, and hope Carl is a good visitor! I know he will be. It’s always sad to lose someone, but especially when they’re young. Blessings to that family. It’s going to be a rough road. So sorry to hear that young son is having a hard time. AS you say, predictable.

    Wow! You are a VERY good Grandma to get up @ 1 am to tend to Carl and his business! THEN he’s up @ 4 am. **SIGH** Tiring hours! For sure, you are wise to keep Carl on leash. Especially when dark out. I do that w/Miss Lilly, too, and she’s white and brown like a Jack Russel Terrier (and she has the energy, too!)

    Carl will adjust, I am sure, when they go on their honeymoon. Fingers crossed.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard from them, they are on their way home now. Service was very emotional (predictably) but Lacey was so glad to see many family members that she has not seen since before the pandemic. Next time they meet it will be for the young couple's Wedding Reception... so we get the happy occasion to bookend the sad one of today.

      I'm sure Carl will adjust for the honeymoon week, too... but after a "one nighter" he might expect them to come back "soon" longer.

      Delete
  5. So very sad…sorry for the young man who lost his Mom…so hard!! AND the husband, other relatives, and friends…such a loss …way too young!
    Glad Carl is settling in … sort of a practice run for the honeymoon…hope the kitties survive him taking over their domicile!! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, to the practice run. I was encouraged by several things this visit. It takes patience for animals to adapt, and I (ever the optimist) saw some on the Prisoner - Rubia - Carl interactions. Still not what you might call the lion laying down with the lamb, but not as distant as in many prior visits.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry about their loss in their family.

    Oh Carl trying to protect the house from the cats. Reminds me the way Scooter chases off the birds from his yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, sputters The Prisoner... this is MY house! They reclaimed it quickly, once I stepped out on the deck and announced that Carl was gone.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...