Friday, March 3, 2023

Everyday "emergencies" and education

 

The 'fridge had been having water in the wrong places issues.  Today I noticed water in the crispers again, and when I took them out to dry them, there was ICE underneath.

So, I rolled up my sleeves and called the appliance repair people.  They will be coming out on Monday.  Meanwhile, I dried it all out again.

The admin lady talked me through finding the model and serial number, and date of manufacture (April, 1999).  Why does 1999 sound "new" to me, but not to the majority of worker-bees?

This is where the ice was molded, but with the crisper drawers removed.

I'm dragging my feet about grocery shopping and trying to use up what's in the 'fridge before Monday, just in case the verdict is that it can't be fixed and I might have to wait for a new appliance to be delivered and installed.


The water is supposed to drain down into this tray that sits under the 'fridge.  Obviously the draining hasn't been happening for a while.

Thursday morning I got a text message from the trainer, he wasn't going to make it to our session... see you next week.  Believe it or not, I was a little relieved.  I have been dipping my toe back into the intermittent fasting thing, trying to relax the hours a bit, trying to let go of the perfectionism that goes along with IF.  But at first, there are these little adjustments.  Already, with just two fasts under my belt, the digestion has settled down, but the headache adjustment cropped back up.  Onward!

As though to make up for the missed session, I got a pacing phone call from my son on his long drive home.  I told him of my woes with the 'fridge.  He shared his decisions pending related to work.  He has to furnish his office, having received his provisional licenses for both Social Work and therapy.  He told me all the research about effectiveness related to office furnishings, as far as successful patient outcomes is concerned.  As usualAl, he's put in his homework.

Then of course there is the wedding planning.  He checked on it being OK with me to be a part-time handler for Carl at the reception, as well as the ceremony.  Carl will be the ring-bearer.  They have been taking him to the venue and doing "collar training" and wardrobe training will begin soon.  

He normally won't wear a costume for very long, thus the wardrobe training.  Good boy, Carl!  

As of Thursday evening, the plan is for them to drop Carl at Grandma's house (me) while they set up the reception venue, and I'll take him over to meet the crowd.  The bride to be thinks her friends who read about him on her social media will want to meet him.

How is Carl with crowds?  He does OK... they take him to the Community Free Market which is outdoors and dog-friendly.

Friday morning I could feel the weather front coming through, in my sinus passages.  I swear it's not always allergies, it's the air pressure changes.  Get upright, take a hot shower, get dressed and start moving, gently, and the day will be fine.

It's laundry day here.  Also trash day.  I brought the garbage bin back from the curb, and tossed the first load of laundry in.

Oh, fun thingy:  I took a little quiz (on Facebook, one of my kid sister's kids posted their results) that purports to line you up with a country, based on your responses to questions about cultural dimensions (whatever that means).  I came out Luxembourg.  My walking partner sis came out Namibia.  But we are the outliers in the family.  Most of them landed in some Scandanavian nation:  Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Iceland are all represented.

In any case, I knew almost nothing about Luxembourg, other than "tiny, somewhere in Europe", so, being me, I went and looked it up... on Google Maps, where I saw it to be nestled betwixt Belgium, France, and Germany.  OK so far, so fair.  Speaking of tiny, it is geographically and population wise, smaller than the state of Rhode Island.

Then on to Wikipedia where I learned that after several occupations and wars, it coalesced into a nation in 1890.  I got lazy and searched on YouTube, where I found its national motto loosely translates to "We want to remain as we are", which of course was saying, "don't occupy us", and "we are NOT part of any of these other countries"!

Anyway when I got to the translation of the motto, I started to giggle, as it's so me!  I do want to remain as I am, I'm happy with me, with my ongoing desires to grow and change, but on my own terms.  I don't want to be pushed around, even if I've let myself be in the past.

And there you have the educational segment of the day!  Hope you're having a fine Friday, and that it leads into a healthy and wonderful weekend!

Life is good.  Spark on!

16 comments:

  1. It's a relief to discover I'm not the only one who feels that 1999 was just a few years ago. Several years ago, we had the same problem with a drain. It was just plugged. After a good cleaning, followed by a rinse of bleach and then water to kill the mold. All was good. Hope you have an easy solution.

    I lost what I had written earlier when I clicked on the "little quiz" link. My results were Finland.

    Carl as ring bearer should be interesting. I hope there will be a video that you can share with us.

    It's a rainy Friday here. Have a wonderful afternoon/evening and a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd fit right in with the family members who took it. Two got Finland, two got Norway, two got Sweden, and two got Iceland.

      I keep forgetting that it's Friday, as yesterday felt so Friday to me! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Holy moley Barb! That’s fantastic that your fridge is from 1999! They don’t make ‘em like that anymore, that’s for sure! Good luck!

    Awwwwww, Carl looks soooo handsome in the collar and bow tie! LOVE the orange polka dots.

    Our former Wisconsin Gov. is the ambassador to Luxemborg. Pretty country. Yes, definitely small! But I didn’t realize it has less population than Rhode Island!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, less population, 700,000 approximately, to Rhode Island's one million. Less land area, too. Orange and navy are the colors for the ceremony. I have ordered two dresses online, one of them does not fit the color scheme. We shall see, when they arrive whether they are at all suitable!

      Delete
  3. I love your fridge has survived this long. I had a dryer that made 30+ before it could no longer be repaired. Good luck but keep in mind a new one will be much more energy efficient.
    Carl is so handsome in his bow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son's been pointing out to me that his recent "no frills" fridge purchase wasn't terribly expensive, and if this one's repairable I could turn it into a "garage refrigerator" and get a new one for the kitchen. I said, "why would I need a garage refrigerator? I live alone, and this one is never completely full!" The repair folks called back, they have a Saturday tech on duty tomorrow and will send him out for the regular Monday price... so I'll find out sooner if it can be fixed.

      Delete
  4. We were gifted our current fridge in 2000, so the chances it was manufactured in 1999 are pretty high. I honestly dont want it to break diwn because i know the newer stuff doesnt last like the older stuff has.
    I’m Norway!
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I must be simpatico with the northern Europeans / Scandinavians! A lot of my favorite folks came out that way!

      Delete
  5. Carl looks very handsome in his ring bearer outfit. Three years ago a nephew & his bride had their boxer/pit mix as their ring bearer. Spouse reported Milo was a well-behaved hit with most of the attendees. I've avoided crowds due to immune system issues for over a dozen years or so and have missed many events.

    My very first secretarial job in June 1967 at the Univ. of TX at Austin
    was for the History Graduate Program Advisor, a Professor from Luxembourg. His accent was mesmerizing. Between him and a PhD grad student that was a child concentration camp refugee, I never tired of listening to their experiences.

    After three weeks, all the broken tree refuse from our ice storms is cleaned up and picked up, just in time the the start of installing fiber optics in our subdivision. We have tri-color markings on the pavement and sidewalks where trenches will be dug.

    Need get on some waiting lists for arborists to evaluate and shape up our damaged trees. Also, getting ready to take bids for power washing the house exterior, outdoor furniture, porch, patio, driveway and sidewalk.

    I keep up with your blogs just don't comment on each one. Keep on keeping on.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fascinating that your professor "boss" was from Luxembourg... we get exposed to various cultural backgrounds seemingly by chance, such as my across the street neighbors who are from Uzbekistan, another learning opportunity for me.

      Delete
  6. Wow!! A fridge from ‘99 is amazing!! We are in the process of moving and bought all new kitchen appliances…the salesperson remarked that 7 years is the expected life span…geez!!! I hope that your fridge can be fixed; it is obviously much better made than the new models!
    Carl looks so handsome in his bow tie; it will be interesting to see how he performs during the actual ceremony…. Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of my appliances are from 1999, as that's when I moved into the house, and both 'fridge and dishwasher died that first year. The stove is even older. I have been through replacing furnace, A/C (twice), water softener, and water heater, so they are all newer. But the washer and dryer are also 1999. So if the fridge goes, it may just be the start of a chain reaction... hoping they don't all go at once, if you know what I mean!

      Delete
  7. Oh the frustrations of a fridge acting up. Wow to have a fridge that long is incredible. I hope that they'll able to get it fixed without getting a new one.

    Oh Carl, looks so good in his outfit. He's going to do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope Carl tolerates that "tux" it for long enough to get the "kids" married. But either way, he's loved, as I'm sure Scooter's mom would understand.

      Delete
  8. There also is the episode of MASH with the Luxembourg soldier who was lost you might enjoy ;) Hope your fridge wows are solved easily. I know 1999 isn't that far away, but apparently it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that episode... might just have to search it out!

      The appliance guys are here now, and they have a fix that's a good deal less pricey than a replacement.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...