Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Circle of life stuff

Twelve years ago last February, we lost my nephew.  He was in his 30's, and he died in his sleep.  His mother never did recover from grieving.  For me, the tears did not come until a month later, when my dog Diamond breathed her last on the vet's table, with me stroking her head at the end.  Then the tears flowed freely.

It seems to be happening in reverse now, as Rubia has again gone missing, and she was failing more before she did.  She's been gone since Monday the 28th of August.  She hadn't been eating, drinking, or using the litter box the last couple of days before that.  Since she came back twice in the most recent yo-yo episodes, I was not quite ready to say she's gone for good, but in my heart I feel that way.  She just slipped away when I was doing a chore and did not return.

Baby Rubia, when I first brought her home (eight years ago).  

Recent snap after she came back the first time, when she seemed to be getting better.

The last photo I took of her, when she was hunkered down on the deck, before she slipped off on Monday morning.  She has not returned.  

There seems to be little logic in how long a pet will live, especially if you rescued them.  Rubia was born in a shed and lost her mother to a speeding car.  The Prisoner is four years older than Rubia was, and began life in a rural home where his pregnant mama was "dropped by the side of a road".  Beyond that, there are many guesses one might make about  everything from whether a cat is indoor/outdoor, to the vaccinations, to sometimes surgeries, to turning your back on them to unload the dishwasher.

If she has, as my mom used to say "crawled off into the bushes to expire," I have to go back to what I said to my sister in law when she lost her son (the nephew mentioned above), "a life does not have to be long to be meaningful".  

Saturday evening, flipping through the TV channels, I came across the movie Steel Magnolias.  Y'all know that's a multi-hanky movie, right?  That's when the tears started to threaten.  Well, I guess it proves the eyes are functioning and connected to the emotions, even the eye that had the cataract removed.

Sunday before Labor Day I shared the news of her departure with the family.  My house has shrunk to a one-cat household again.  The Prisoner seems plaintive with his meows, as though he, too, questions her absence.

I maintain that Rubia lived a good life and that she added to mine, even when I called her a nuisance.  

Life is GoodSpark on!

16 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry. Gentle hugs, my friend. 😪😪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Barb…so hard when they just disappear and are sickly…I know your pain firsthand! I rescued and tamed a feral cat who happily lived indoor/outdoor for 12 years. He developed an inoperable tumor in his nasal cavity and one day just never came home. We lived in the woods; I searched for days but never saw him again. Tears…oh my!!!
    I miss him to this day and it has been close to 2 decades! My thoughts are with you… Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The advantage: you can make up as gentle a passing story as you like. The disadvantage: you'll never know for sure.

      Sorry for your many years missing your kitty!

      Delete
  3. Barb, I'm so sorry. It has to by heart breaking for you knowing what might going on and not being able to know what is going on. I've heard of dogs and cats that go off at the end of their lives. I hope that if she has gone it was peaceful and on her terms, but if she is still out there I pray she comes home to you and the Prisoner.

    I hope you have a lovely day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that phrase "on her terms". I hope the same. (( hugs back ))

      Delete
  4. Pets are so a part of our lives that I don't think we ever get over their loss completely. I remember every pet I have had and can feel the loss exactly like the day they past. Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You clearly have a tender heart, Allie, able to open it up and feel the feelings again. I hope the memories of blessings come along with the memories of loss. ((( hugs back at you ))

      Delete
  5. Awwwww, ((((HUGS)))) Hard NOT to know what has gone on w/Rubia, but my unfortunate guess is like yours, she’s slipped off to be alone @ the end. *SIGH* The circle of life is never easy @ the end. You gave Rubia a good life, and she enriched yours. Can't ask for more than that from a fur baby (except lots of years together!)
    HUGS
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((HUGS)))

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
  7. 🤗
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for your loss; she was lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to have her, as was Prisoner. She added that "kitten" energy at the right time.

      Delete

Mother's Day

  My daughter in law spent Mother's Day with her mom and sent her husband (my son) over to spend some time with me!  He brought Carl alo...