Saturday, September 9, 2023

Week after next for the Brick Mason

 

This is the most obvious part of the "brick renewal" project.  Most of it is what they call tuck-pointing.  But those two pillars at the two ends of my skirting wall?  He's going to completely re-build.

The ground beneath the pillars has settled over the 45 years the house has stood here, causing them to lean like the tower of Pisa, away from the wall.



Friday morning pre-sunrise we had a little shower.  Not much but refreshing.  I could feel the air quality starting to improve.  The AQ alert ended about noonish, and that improvement is welcome!

The brick guy came to the door without calling first Friday morning.  I was home anyway, so no problem.  He left samples of the brick he intends to use to build the new pillars.  Instead of being varicolored as the old ones are, the new pillars will be a single color.


Lighter in color, but matching one of those many varied colors, I believe it will blend nicely.  He says a week from Monday (and they will call or text first) they can get started on the tuckpointing.

I heaved a sigh of relief... that gives me more time to finish my de-forestation project!  Not starting until a week from Monday means my eye appointment to get my new prescription won't get in the way, nor will my Wednesday review with the financial guy interrupt the process.  


Because I was not scurrying to finish the defoliation, I promised myself I would go get rid of things (if anyone wanted my cast-offs) at the Community Free Market.  My daughter in law and her parents are part of the group that put this event on, monthly.  I haven't been in a couple of years.  Last time I went we were pushing little plastic guards to make masks more effective during the pandemic.

I put out a whole bunch of clothing that I've given up on ever fitting into again, a varied collection of books, and those odds and ends that constitute, "I ordered one, they sent two"; "these were freebies from the dentist, but I don't use that kind/brand"; and "I accidentally bought the wrong thing".  On the whole, I managed to get rid of more than I found to bring home.  I brought home two books, one by John Grisham, and one by Tom Clancy.  And a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle that the people giving away had labeled as "Missing 1 piece".  

I am declaring the morning a success!  One of the things I most appreciate about this event is the personal connection.  Those receiving whatever they choose often are also given the story of how it means something to the giver.  One woman was collecting clothing for the residents of a nursing home where her aunt lives.  She chose a kimono from another woman's offerings, but somehow did not get the belt.  The woman who was giving the kimono away chased her down to make sure the belt went home with her, too.  She shared the story of how the kimono (purchased in Japan) came into her possession.  The woman receiving the kimono shared that it would be going to a woman who does not have night clothes and who shares a room with her aunt.

A couple of people asked me if I knew how often these were held, and I knew, so shared that information, plus pointed them toward the Facebook group where they could find out when and where future free markets would be held:  "It's like a garage sale, but everything is free."

In any case, Life is Good.  Spark on!


12 comments:

  1. The new columns will be quite attractive. Until I read your post, I'd never heard of a community free market. What an excellent idea! It just prove the adage, "One person's trash is another persons' treasure."
    Have a pleasant Sunday. 🤗💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. Community Free Market is a lot less work than a garage sale... no money to worry about! And yes, you are helping others. I noticed how quickly the health care items (toothpaste and brushes, congestion relief med that I can't take because of the glaucoma) went. It appeared to be young mothers who took these items. I like to think my donation is helping them afford groceries! I had some clothes I have outgrown to drop in the donation boxes left over... if nobody takes what you bring, it's your responsibility to dispose of it.

      A good Sunday to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Me neither, I think a Community Free Market is a really great idea! What a great way of getting to know the people around you a little more. I think the bricks will look really great and good for another 45 years. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since they have been holding these in a public park during nice weather (spurred by pandemic conditions the past few years), some folks find out about them by tripping over them while out walking or riding their bikes.

      A wonderful Sunday to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Glad the market was a success! ~Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I might have hit the "squirrel" phase of the season change, and I'm starting to clear out again!

      Delete
  4. The brick is going to look beautiful. I do love brick houses, so pretty!

    That is such a great idea for the community. We have a community garage sale in the summer every year, but a free market would be good. Usually someone just posts on our community FB page.

    Enjoy your Sunday! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a FB group page where they post these events, too. Seems to be the way information flows these days. Although the local newspaper, TV, and radio, as well as harmonious goal community groups on social media pass the word along, too.

      (( big hugs )) for a wonderful Sunday to you and your Mom and Scooter, too!

      Delete
  5. I think I should let go of a bunch of my clothes I won’t fit into again. I think the fact that I fit into them for such a brief moment in time should have been a clue to not shop so much in said size, but the excitement of being in that size fueled the over shopping. Live and learn.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (( hugs )) I got good use out of those clothes, but in the end, when I stopped doing triathlon, the pounds came back. I still work at it from time to time, but I'm afraid I'm in the "gaining another five pounds every year" phase. At least it's not 50!

      Anyway, this is pretty much my old work wardrobe.

      Delete
    2. Mine is too. I went from a uniform job to an office job, for a very short time, to a super casual job. So now if I return to an office job, they are from TOO long ago😔

      Delete
    3. Health is more important than size. Keep moving and taking care of yourself, best can do, one day at a time, and I'll do the same!

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...