Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Mondays are a good day to start things

 

Guess who showed up to drop off materials on Monday?  Yep, the brick mason guy!  Doesn't the weather look about perfect for outdoor work?  The angle of the sunshine screams 3-dimensional autumn!

It was a cool 56℉ when Frau Hackenbuscher (that's me) went out to whack down a few more volunteer trees and make sure the work area was clear for these guys.  They will build a little pile of bricks there on my driveway, I just have to avoid driving into it when I take the car out.  They will be leaving bags of mortar, too.

I asked if it needs to be kept dry (thinking I might have to tuck it into the garage).  He said it's not supposed to rain overnight tonight, so it should be OK.  He says they will be back to do the brick work tomorrow morning, doing work on my house intermittently with work on another site, since the two job sites are in proximity one to the other.  Even today's delivery is part of that, as after he leaves his supplies here, he'll be going back to the other site to pick up a deconstructed chimney.

The problem with the no-show last Thursday is being blamed on computer systems at the supplier.  They could not release his order because they could not get into their computer records.  Sounds about right.

As long as it's all done before the snow flies, I'm good.  Tomorrow morning I'll repeat Thursday's prep, get the car out before they arrive.



Tuesday morning, bright and early, the workmen showed up and started in.  I had taken Dexter out of the garage again, and they left me room to exit for my workout and to get back into the house again.

Being me, I had to take some more "men at work" photos:

As I was leaving for the trainer's studio.  They were starting over the garage entrance.

And getting set up to mix the mortar and build the new columns.

After I got home and had some lunch, went out and took a couple of "in progress" snaps, too.

This is a sample of the "tuck-pointing" in progress, the front of the garage.

One of the columns is looking pretty good there.


We'll see how many days this job turns out to be.  Life is good.  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. I like it!

    You certainly have been peopled lately

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! LOTS of peopling. And I'll be getting some canine time next month, too. All getting ready for the Winter ahead, right?

      Delete
  2. The best part of those "contractor relationships" is when they end and the job is finished. The column matches quite nicely. The house will look like a new one when it's all completed. WooHoo!! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's promised to power wash that wall when it seasons a bit, which really should make it look new. They left around 3:30 this afternoon and promise to be back again about 7:30 tomorrow morning.

      Delete
  3. It's going to look beautiful when finished. It'll be nice to have to it power washed too.

    Our weather has been beautiful and cool. It's great weather to get outside and clean up the yard.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had half a week of gorgeous autumn-like weather here, but surprise! Summer is coming back for Friday through Monday or Tuesday! As in highs over 90*F. Sigh.

      Brick dudes are working away today. Sister is not coming over this afternoon, though, because she's got sinus things going on. I don't think the brick dust would be good for her.

      Delete
  4. That is great that they are back at it, hopefully it will all finish up soon too. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I peeked out at noon, and there's quite a collection of "follow the seam" work still to be done. I'm not convinced they will finish today. But they are working steadily, so whenever they get done, they get done!

      Delete
  5. Brick work looking nice.

    Triple-digits here in Central Texas again after a two-day break from the stifling heat. Severe T-storms this past weekend with golf-ball size hail -- our trees are sure taking a beating with a lengthy hard freeze in January or February, relentless heat for over 100 days, and now the high winds that snapped damaged limbs off throughout the city.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Sounds like Texas weather is predicting ours. We're supposed to get the heat back on Thursday, I think. The weather certainly has given all parts of the world a beating of late!

      Hang on and survive, I guess! I'm very grateful that the weather for working outside has been nice during this brick project!

      Delete
  6. Yea. The brickmason showed up.. Our painter has been MIA the last 2 days cuz of rain but said he’d be here tomorrow, as it’s supposed to be fine weather. Yeah. It will good to have your brick project done and I’ll be glad to have my painting project done.

    Love it, Frau Hackenbuscher! Perfect name.

    Hope the brick project continues to move along so it's done before the first snow. That's my goal w/the outdoor painting.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, they didn't finish Wednesday. Frau Hackenbuscher thanks you for approving her name (she's worn it since OneKid was in the 6th grade).

      Delete

Mother's Day

  My daughter in law spent Mother's Day with her mom and sent her husband (my son) over to spend some time with me!  He brought Carl alo...