Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Day 3 - chasing flies

House flies, that is.  I have determined that a lot of Ember's most inexplicable antics are related to insects.  Digging in the couch, jumping at empty space?  In some cases, it is because she saw something tiny that she determined needed to be chased.  And eradicated.  Or eaten to supplement the protein in her diet. 

Here's our recuperating patient. She made the decision when it was 91℉ out there to sun on the deck.  For about a minute is all.  She came back inside.  

I have to say this was the most stressful of the recovery days so far.  Not only do we have triple digit heat, but there was a scramble that turned out to be nothing but stressed me out.  

Carl, you see, injured himself over the weekend, and his leg was swelling Sunday evening.  They got him into the vet on a "hurry up" basis but both son and daughter in law had meetings at their respective work places that made it scary close timing.  Son called me while I was doing a grocery run.  I said yes, I could scramble to pick up Carl if the vet needed to keep him for tests or whatever that would last beyond when son had to get back to work.  But then I worried about Ember being crated longer or put back sooner, both of which add to her stress.

Turned out my son had time to settle Carl back in his own kennel and make it to his appointment.  I was able to get Ember out for a second walk while it was "only" 87 degrees.  Bonus, she got pets from two humans, one toward the start of her walk, the other toward the end.

The physical match of the day?  The wrestling match between dog-mom, weighing in at 135, and Ember, weighing in at 55, but armed with teeth.  The prize?  Getting her back in the pink suit after it was laundered for yet the third time.  OMG.  I must have tossed a total of about a cup of "search" treats to distract her while I put one paw, or another, or her head into the suit... and tried to get a stubborn zipper to close.  Midway through the match, between rounds, I donned the cut-resistant sleeves.

Then the t-shirt she wears as an alternate, and the sleeves were both run through the wash.  Wish me luck on Tuesday, as it's a trainer day for me.

I went down and gave her "last call" to pee and poo about 7:15 p.m.  Such a good little girl, yes, even though we have been having wrestling matches.  I understand it's scary wearing clothes!

Carl's paw-rents report he seems to have an OK mood, even about being in a cone.  Hoping both pets recover fully and soon.

Ember and I have now survived Day 3, post-op for her!  Yay!

Life is good.  Spark on!

6 comments:

  1. Well, at least Ember had the sense to go back in the house where it was cooler after being on the porch in 01F heat and humidity!

    So sorry to hear that Carl injured his leg. Poor guy. Glad that Carl is recuperating.

    Good heavens! What a tussle to get Ember back in her pink recovery suit! **SIGH**

    Sending healing vibes for both Ember and Carl. Sheesh! Kids, right!?!

    Hugs and blessings.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... kids and fur-kids! My son and DIL are right in the thick of things at 40. I think back to when I was 40, and yes, life WAS that busy! Kid, dog, sports, school, etc. I'm sure you remember the days, too!

      Hope things stay positive for all in your circle!

      Delete
  2. Maybe the t-shirt material is more comfortable. Didn't you write that she doesn't fight you about wearing that? I prefer t-shirts, too. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the difference between the body suit and the T-shirt is that the body suit has 4 leg holes and the T-shirt two arm holes. And the body suit zips up so that she can't get at her stitches. She didn't fight me the first couple of times I changed it out on her... or rather, I was able to give her treats and she let me do what I needed to do.

      Oh, and yes, she resists getting the T-shirt on, too, but with only two legs and a head, and no zipper to deal with, the battle is shorter. She did not take advantage of the T-shirt not being closed up around her rear to worry at her incision site, and for that I am grateful.

      The cotton material of both garments is the same. The T-shirt is a looser fit.

      I did not launder the body suit today, but during tonight's "last call" I noted that tomorrow I will need to do so. If I can get it down to every couple of days, that's a good thing, right? Ten days to go!

      Delete
  3. ALICIA363
    I hope Tuesday was better!
    Benji’s sick, but if he’s stable at end of work day, I should be over. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry Benji is ill. I read your update on the maintainers io group, and it sounds serious. But I know people who have survived it and are still breathing. So... pay attention to the doctor's orders and help the little guy out!

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...