Friday, August 30, 2024

Weather and such

 

Thursday about 4 p.m. the first front blew through.  I was out "picking up the dog toys" and was carting the puppy pools back to the garage.  That gusty wind that leads the front was blowing strong, and it slammed the gate shut.  I unlatched it, and it slammed the gate open, then as I was putting those pools away, the wind shifted and slammed the gate closed again.  Adventures.

It's raining.  We shall see tomorrow how much we get, but as I type I can hear the thunder rolling over.

Friday morning was a little hectic, and I didn't get the rain gauge checked until I came here to update the blog after supper!  It showed half an inch.  I do not know how much of that was the rain overnight, and how much might have been the automatic sprinklers that I left run for the ten minute cycles through the stations this morning at 4 a.m.

Here is part of the Friday morning hectic contribution.  Ms. Ember had been worrying at the bottom step's carpet again, so I put her into her X-Pen with her toys while I was whisk-brooming up the fragments of carpet and padding her teeth had dislodged.

This was more than Ms. Ember could handle, and smarty that she is, she managed to move one end of the X-Pen panels and slip out.  But that wasn't enough for her.  She also nudged the part next to the couch, and managed to place herself ON the couch, inside the X-Pen with her toybox and the waste baskets.

Sometimes I don't know whether to be amused at her cleverness, upset with myself for not doing a better job by her sooner, or what!  Guess I'll just have to keep on loving her and doing best I can, one day at a time.

In any case, that meant taking time during puppy nap #1 to add two panels to the edges (thankfully I had two extra panels I could use).  Ember's containment system is made up of not one, but two eight panel X-Pens.

Friday morning was also puppy class over at Zoom Room.  I have three more classes already pre-paid.  I have not scheduled another private session, but need to do that soon, or my prepaid set of those will expire!

Ember was a rock star this morning, if I must say so myself.  I replaced the suggestions of the trainer in charge with the Susan Garrett versions of them.  So when the class was asked to play "the Name Game" that only required the puppy to make eye contact with you to get rewarded, I used solo recalls, since her name is also used as her recall word.  And when it came time to practice the "heel" position, I used the "mama's hip seam as your personal pez dispenser" to walk her "at heel" in circles, while a couple of the other pups were still working on luring into the by your side at a sit position.  Finally, when they asked for a practice of "middle", I used Susan's "sound" (it's not a word, it's a noise, kind of like a trill, but it means the same thing as the class use of "middle").  She tucked herself between my legs, as desired.

One of the staff commented on how well she was doing this morning.  Considering some of her problematic class sessions, this one was a real ego boost for her mommy.

Which is good, because Mommy has been super frustrated by trying to provide video clips for the online classes.  After a couple of teary sessions, I came up with two good clips late in the day.  Solo Recall and Tug.  Welcome to my back yard.  The camera is propped up at the door of the elevated playhouse over the sandbox.

Life in Emberville remains goodSpark on!

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a whirlwind of a week! From the unexpected gate drama to Ember's escape antics and puppy class triumphs, it seems you've had quite the adventure.

    It's always a challenge to balance puppy training, household chores, and unexpected events. I'm glad Ember is doing so well in class, and it's great that you've found a training method that works for her.

    I hope the rain showers bring some relief and that Ember continues to be a joy to have around.

    Have w wonderful holiday weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Training is so important for dogs, and it's really important for the people who love them to have mentors who "click" for them (pun intended).

      Have a great holiday weekend, as we close out Summer!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the holiday weekend. The weather is soooo much nicer. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The forecast here is looking lovely for the next week, with warm but not beastly highs (80's) and sweater weather lows (50's). I like it!

      Delete
  3. ALICIA363
    ❤️ You and Ember speaking your language - priceless! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️❤️ Love languages come in many forms!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Sounds like it was quite an active front that passed through for you!

    Oh my, oh my, oh my! Ms. Ember was quite the handful.

    BUT, all your work w/Ember, all the training, seems like it was all worthwhile @ the Zoom Room class! Awesome.

    Hugs and happy labor day

    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days melt into one another, just as they do with young children. "The toughest job you'll ever love." Wasn't that an old ad? For what? My mom always said it was parenthood that was the toughest job you'd ever love... but I'm not sure the ad was quite that.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Everything I "protect", she just chooses a fresh target. Saturday after I put the baby gate in a new position to protect the bottom step, she stripped paint off the wall in the hallway beside the bathroom (where mommy disappears and doesn't let her follow). Now I put her in the X-Pen whenever I head for a potty break for me!

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...