Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Day 4 - back to my own trainer

 

A lot of Susan Garrett's material has to do with what my actions as a human should be, interacting with my dog as we play the games that are the foundation of her program

Part of this is "practice the mechanics without your dog."  That was the advice I got from other people in the program who have had success.  "I practiced with a stuffed iguana", "notice how Susan always has the treats cut up and available before she brings the dog in, so she doesn't have to fumble."

This was, in fact, part of my problem with the local training classes.  I was handed a clicker and told to "click and treat" when the dog "did it right" (whatever cue we were giving, be it sit, down, stand, touch, "middle" or a trick like "shake" or "play dead".  Susan gives step by step instructions of the mechanics of each game, multiple phases of the game, and makes you think and do homework about your individual dog's likes and preferences.  She covers the importance of understanding what "success" in dog training each cue means to us as dog handlers.  What is acceptable and livable for me and my dog?  What does a functional "sit" have to look like to earn her reward, for example?  

Consequently, I will use up the sessions with the Zoom Room that I have already paid for, including five more classes, and three more private training sessions, but then suspend using them, and focus on using the Recallers program games.  I won't sign up for those sessions until after she recovers from her surgical experience, though.

On Ember's fourth day post-op, we got a break in the weather.  It was even misting Tuesday morning!  And it stayed much cooler.  We got in two Ember walks before and after puppy nap #1.

During puppy nap #1 is when I went to work out with my own trainer.  And I decided best to return to the normal schedule!  Only one more day of her meds to go.  I did not launder the onesie on Tuesday.  Getting a bit more trusting as the days pass.

The human neighborhood cleanup is ongoing... chain saws, gutter repairs, all kinds of construction of a mostly minor to moderate degree are happening up and down the street.  On our second walk today, we went up the street and Ember decided to lay down and chew on a fallen branch.  At this point a large lab poked his head out of a construction truck, and (I'm assuming it's he) noticed Ember.  He woofed at her and was legs over the window kind of half out of the truck.  His human was running a chain saw in the back yard of the house the truck was parked beside. I took the better part of valor: reversed direction and walked another way.

Wednesday morning

Somebody is back to playing on the stairs.  This was before the morning walk.  That walk turned into longer than planned.  We kept encountering things I wanted to direct us away from, and each choice made the walk longer.

First we were avoiding sprinklers.  Then there were children who were clearly not listening to their parents' instructions.  Next it was that the downed branches that have not yet been cleared from yards or the park have been getting more and more attractive as she's been feeling better and better.  Finally it was other dogs, walking with their owners or barking from their fences or houses.

Anyway, we got home after a grand total of 0.89 miles!  I cooked my breakfast, and Ember chilled out on her towels by the door (mostly).  After I ate, I put her into her den for puppy nap #1, about 8 a.m.

Then I did something I had been dragging my feet over.  I brought the Xpen into the living room and set it up to protect my couch from the puppy!

When she gets up we shall see how well this works or doesn't.  But I had got to the point of leashing her in the house and taking her to another room, stepping on the leash so that she would not destroy the couch the way she did the wingback chair.  That chair, by the way, is still sitting in my garage.  I have hopes that one day I'll be able to bring it back in.

Meantime, training games will continue.  On our walk I played the loose leash "Mommy stops when you pull" a lot.  No words required.  When she stops pulling, she generally comes and sits at my feet and gives me that face!  I think puppies are genetically engineered to make human hearts melt.

Life is good.  Spark on!




6 comments:


  1. Sounds like Ember is doing much better and things are returning to normal in Emberville!

    My DS has a x-pan for his 2 puppies. For them it works (and they are big – Blue is a rottie/pittie mix and Buddy is a shephard, mix. Both big dogs, but they mind the gate). Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ember did try her teeth on the X-pen, but my couch did not get stripped or shredded today! No humans sat on it (the photo is old, I put the panel with the door in later), but I may eventually get to an arrangement known as a "puppy condo" where the Xpen surrounds the crate. Should have started that way to begin with, but hey, we learn when we learn!

      Delete
  2. Your x pen reminds me of the Christmas before my son turned 2 the following March. He was fascinated with the tree, the ornaments, and the lights. I bought one of those small 6 in trees and gave it to him. My mom took a different route for the times we would visit her. She put her decorated tree in the play pen she had for him for nap time.
    Different stokes for different folks. 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Putting the tree in the playpen has become a trope. I've seen it as a cartoon meme. I decided to apply the same principle, at least for now.

      Delete
  3. Our poor couch is beyond redemption; when (if??) P finds employment we shall be shopping for a new one! We’ve gotten almost 10 yrs out of this one…
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last dog (RIP 13 years ago) had already started the destruction of this one. But Ember seems much more persistent about it, thus the fence! As for its age? That couch was purchased when my son was in Kindergarten? Or maybe before. He's 40 now. It's still sound, so if I can hold off further damage, it might make it another 10.

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...