Friday, August 9, 2024

Dog training transition in progress

Peep show?  Ember after bodysuit was removed to wash, before the T-shirt has been put on.  I wanted to take my time peeking at her tummy this morning.

Friday's obsession (Thursday's too, for that matter), has been an ant colony in our own front yard.  Ember digs at it and refuses to be distracted from her purpose.  Ants are moving, making such a fascinating collection of prey.  Sigh.

Anyway, our Friday morning walk was delayed by about five minutes (felt like a lot more) by her digging at it.  Eventually enough cars went by to draw her attention, and I tossed a few "search" cookies onto the sidewalk to refocus her.  We then circled the block.

She's now a week post-op.  She's starting to become more demanding.  So, introducing more training activities.  I have begun working on establishing a "reward zone" at my hip seams on either side of me.  This is because I recognize that the "puppy pulls - mommy stops" form of training loose leash walking is indeed a form of punishment training.  Susan's putting "choice" as one of the priorities for the puppy means we have to train the puppy that there's something better than pulling... i.e. walking at her human's hip seam, where the hip becomes her "personal PEZ dispenser" for treats.

A part of me is a skeptic of whether I have the ability / persistence / patience to make it to totally positive reinforcement-based training.  The number of steps in conditioning and counterconditioning behaviors, i.e. "shaping" the dog's decisions, can be overwhelming.  I mean, what order do we work on skills?  Many of the games involve precedents of other skills that Ember has not been trained in.

Oh yes, and I use lures, as taught at Zoom Room, and they said, "you want to move away from using lures"... but I had no clue as to how to do that.  I am trying to be patient and take one step at a time, and not be too much of a perfectionist, while at the same time, trying to take the advice to "practice without your dog" for mechanics, like treat delivery etc.  So many things to learn, just take it one thing at a time, Barb!

Just started working on "reward zone" on Friday morning.  I've been doing "collar grab" and "ItsYerChoice" for over a week.  I started practicing without Ember the mechanics of training for hand targets on Wednesday.  Susan uses the cue "bump" for hand target, but Ember has already learned something similar as "touch", but she learned it via lures, so there's a transition happening there, too.  

Suit out of the laundry.  I geared up, let Ember out of her den, and the little one had wriggled out of the t-shirt I had her in!  But she didn't look any the worse for wear, and I managed (with incentives and cut-resistant sleeves) to get her back into the bodysuit!

We played "ItsYerChoice" with banana bits, then with cheese cubes.  I tried some of my lightly practiced mechanics for hand target training.  After a few of those, we went out for puppy walk #2.

While on the walk, we practiced kind of a half and half drill.  If she pulled, I did stop.  I waited for her to loosen the leash.  She usually does this by sitting.  Then I moved into position so that my side seam was beside her, and our hips parallel, headed in the same direction, touched the treat to my hip, and delivered it to her.  Her nose being right by either hip is the "reward zone".  The eventual goal is to get her to walk beside me, loose leash, by choice.

Our second walk, quite deliberately on my part, took us in the opposite direction of the first one, so that we would not pass by her ant colony digging hole!

Some things I really like about how Susan trains the trainer:  

  • "Give yourself grace as you transition" from old methods of training.
  • Also giving your dog grace and compassion.  Be curious about what caused an unexpected behavior... like the flies or the ants.
  • Take the dog's emotions into account.
  • You need to practice the human mechanics from both sides.  I love the ambidextrous nature of her training.  You don't have to always walk on my left, or my right, Ember, you can choose.  But off either hip is the reward zone.
  • Same is true of hand targets... you might be asked to bump either my left or my right hand.

I'm feeling pretty positive that we are making progress.  There may be frustrations, but there are triumphs, too.

Oh, and good news!  Carl went to the vet this morning, and while he's on restricted activity for another couple of weeks to prevent re-injury, he was freed of the cone!  Ember has another week in the suit, and the same time on her restrictions.

Life is good.  Spark on!

 

10 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, Miss Lilly loves to dig @ ant colonies, as well. But she fortunately not too many, at least not on our property.

    Huh! Actually that hip reward zone sound brilliant actually. Going to try that w/Miss Lilly. She will generally listen when we walk and so=top pulling but it would be nice for that behavior to be more consistent. I like that – the hip becomes their personal PEZ dispenser.

    That’s great news that Carl no longer needs the cone of shame! I can only imagine he appreciates that. And I am sure Ember will be glad to be out of the body suit, too.

    Good luck with the training! You’re both learning.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck yourself, with introducing Miss Lilly to a few new concepts. I know Carl is ecstatic about being free of the cone! As my DIL mentioned, it's kind of "good" that both dogs are on restricted activity at the same time. This is true... if they went sequentially, it might be much longer before we could get them back together!

      I don't know if "the kids" will be having any Labor Day festivities. They have done the cookout things Memorial and Labor days in the past, but between Carl's injury and the flurry of respite foster weekend, life's been a little busy for them!

      Delete
    2. Yes, good that Carl and Ember are recuperating together and then will be on the approximate same timetable to get back together ot play!

      I can only imagine DS and DIL are tired after respite care. HOPE all went well.

      hugs
      barb
      1cd

      Delete
    3. Respite care did go well, and they are leaving themselves on the list as potential respite caregivers for this same little boy.

      Delete
  2. I got lucky with Scooter he's not a digger at all. Miss Bella loved digging and had holes all over the yard. Glad he is doing well and the recovery is going great.

    Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ember is the first dog I've ever had who digs. But I got lucky in that she's not a barker at squirrels. Guess we get the dogs we get, and we fall in love with their quirky selves!

      Have a great weekend! (( hugs back ))

      Delete
  3. ALICIA363
    I disagree that ceasing to walk is a punishment. It is a logical consequence. Pulling on the leash is a safety issue is for both canine and human. That being said, it is is boring and tedious AF for the human who has to stick with it.
    Yeah, move away from using treat reinforcement-never figured out that one, and doesn’t help to not have all humans in the house on the same page.
    Yes, cut yourself some slack, give yourself grace, and don’t overthink! You have an Olympic champion type of dog trainer teaching you - allow that you may never be Olympic level, and that’s okay. If you and Ember live together in relative harmony, you’re golden! Or charcoal, as the case may be πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm still madly in love with Ember. I am always adjusting my behaviors and my expectations. I always thought of "you pull / mommy stops" as an extension of "ItsYerChoice". You can choose to pull, in which case, you can't walk. Or you can choose to put slack in the leash, in which case, we get to walk!

      How is that any different from "if you lunge for the treats, the hand closes and you can't have them". I am in fact controlling the resource (walking or getting to some distraction). I'm also controlling the dog by restraining her. Restraining a dog sets up a greater desire for what you were restraining them from, so could be encouraging them to pull harder!

      So, thus the side-seam as PEZ dispenser, one treat at a time. I figure if I try to follow her program, best can do, I end up with a compromise arrangement that is acceptable to both Ember and to me.

      Example: Susan does not want her dogs in the kitchen while she prepares a meal. She trains them to be in "hot zones", which is a crate situation without the crate where "amazing things happen". It's hopped up on a dog bed or other raised surface with boundaries. Her dogs choose to head for a hot zone as soon as she starts futzing in the kitchen.

      I, on the other hand, only ask Ember to keep her paws down, and lay out of the way, leaving Mommy room to work. In exchange, I let her lick (sorry if this is an ick factor for any readers) the measuring cup that held milk, or cottage cheese, etc. And yes, of course they get washed after! I hand her a blueberry. We're buddies. I also make her "salad" while I'm preparing my own, and she gets it delivered to her food spot.

      If she doesn't get in any trouble, she can defer puppy nap #1 while mommy eats her breakfast or supper. She didn't make it this morning... she started pawing / chewing at the leather couch in the family room, instead of just lying down and napping! So, into the "den" she went. Teething!

      And here I sit answering comments! LOL!

      Delete
  4. As with so many other things, it's one day at a time. Nice to hear the pups, yours and DS's are healing properly. πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸΆπŸ˜Έ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I was so proud of Ember today on two counts: leaving the kitty be, just sitting watch, and get this, when I was fixing her little peanut butter bone with whipped cream on top for going into her crate... a big drop of whipped cream fell to the floor, AND SHE CHOSE NOT to lap it up, until I gave her the "get it" cue! This is the direct result of the "ItsYerChoice" game being played a couple times a day for a week!

      And she's clearly getting stronger.

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...