Saturday, August 3, 2024

The patient comes home

 


They had Ember ready and gave me the aftercare walk through at 3:30 on Friday as promised. Her little body suit has a label on it (but they did not fill in her name). It's OK, you can't see the label in most of the shots I took of her. 








At the vet's office, the tech helped me load her into the car, thankfully. He just picked her up in a way that would not disturb the surgical site, and schlepped her in. I clipped on her seatbelt and home we headed.


Once home, we had the "puh-lease don't let my friends see me in this thing" pose.  Or you could call it the deer in the headlights... I had just called her name to get her to look at the camera.

I don't think the look changes much between the cone and suit, except the suit doesn't interfere with her normal ability to walk, eat, enter/exit her "den" etc.

The rear view might look a little rude, but it does show the engineering of the suit, such that she can still "do her business" and not have to take off the suit.

She ate what kibble I put down, a few treats for various "normal" times, including her peanut butter bone bedtime snack, topped with whipped cream, and went in for the night.  She also got a chew stick, which helped her calm and chill as she adjusted to her day.  

We have pills twice a day for the next five days, starting Saturday morning, for pain management.  The suit is to stay on for 14 days, and I'm to check the incision site at least once a day.  If she manages to soil the suit, she can wear a human t-shirt while I wash her suit.  All very practical after-care instructions.

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!

12 comments:

  1. ALICIA363
    What an ingenious alternative to a cone!
    Hugs and love,
    Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea who invented it, but they are selling them to vet offices for resale to us pet owners. It fits her nicely, and she doesn't seem to mind wearing it. Although she wasn't crazy about my trying to unzip it to check on her incision site this morning, she accepted a chew stick and let me "change her clothes" so I could wash the body suit.

      Delete
  2. There are commercials for calming suits to be worn during storms and other noisy events. I wonder if this is something similar for the after surgery stress. The should be blue. ❤️‍🩹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "color" should be blue. I need to do a better job of proof reading. Ugh!!

      Delete
    2. LOL... most of us can read fluent typo, including proof reading misses. Oh, heck, I'm happy it's hot pink, showing off her diva status!

      I wondered that, too, when ads for thunder shirts showed up in my FB feed... they look similar, even though the goal is a little different. But if the chewing and licking is from anxiety, the goal is the same.

      Delete
  3. PHOENIX1949

    The suit looks so much more comfortable than the cone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? It's no harder to get onto her than her harness, honestly.

      Delete
  4. Oh that body suit is brilliant. Miss Lilly had to wear the cone of shame and that was a bit too much for her!

    Awwwww, poor Ember! Bit she’ll have that suit off soon enough. . . well, 14 days probably is a LONG time for her!

    Glad Ember is home and recovering !

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from how much she learns and grows in two weeks, I agree that 14 days is a long time in Ember time!

      It's noon-thirty Saturday and she's down for puppy nap #2, curled up in her pink suit in her crate.

      Delete
  5. That suit is wonderful! Hopefully Ember heals quickly and completely with minimum attempts to get at the wound site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, in all my prep for last weekend trail ride I failed to see your posts about Ember’s spay! Belated “get well soon” wishes for your baby girl x although puppies & kittens bounce back very quickly!
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet knows! Yes, she's already showing signs of her old energy, and it's hard to keep her to the "slow, controlled walks to go potty" on the aftercare instructions, "for 14 days". Yikes.

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...