Monday, October 11, 2021

Memories triggered on the day

I am live streaming the 125th running of the Boston Marathon.  The calendar is still turned on its head, due to the pandemic, as this is a race that is normally run in mid-April.  It is also the first time it's been run (other than as a virtual) since my brother's passing.  Boston holds a special place in our hearts.  

I'm at home today.  The last time they held this event in person was April, 2019, and I was there, with my brother, cheering on other runners, as he was in an air boot, recovering from a metatarsal injury.  The three years prior to that, he was a runner, on the course, while I was there "for him" as a supportive sister.

I find myself with goose bumps watching the coverage, recognizing places on the course, and as they ring the bells as each division finishes with a champion crowned.  

I'm watching the women's race for Des Linden, as I watched her win at the finish line in 2018, in pouring rain!  After watching the pros over the years you get to recognize them and appreciate their stories.

Local friends are of course out there, too.  MAGGIEROSEBOWL (Spark name) has a son running there today.  He's running well, more than halfway along the course, with an average pace of 6:48 per mile.  It's not following Kevin, but it has the same flavor, and I am so happy for Pam and her family, because it's such a thrill to see a runner reach a personal goal.

It's not the same, but it triggers our memories!  Celebrate in heaven, brother of mine!



12 comments:

  1. You have such positive memories about this race. May they bring you additional joy as you watch from the distance. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww, that's good that you can follow someone else's progress in the Marathon. Bittersweet indeed. I know you have many good memories of your brother and being there in Boston to support him.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her son ran well, finishing in just over 3 hours, 7 minute mile pace! He clearly was hurting in that final mile or two as his pace dropped by a couple of minutes.

      It definitely had the same flavor as following Kevin, except I was at home, not a step out the door from the hotel. Now I'm re-watching the coverage of the 2019 marathon, the one we watched live together.

      Delete
  3. That is a wonderful memory to have of your brother. I'm glad that you were able to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs. Great memories of good times with loved ones can sure help ground us in the chaotic times.

    BTW, yesterday I couldn't get my message to post -- mentioning just in case someone else had the same issue. Kept getting a lengthy explanation of the various ways I could post and stressed that I needed a Google Account which I was already signed on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had those troubles posting... it's been something like four months I've been over here, and different folks have had troubles posting comments off and on the whole time. And no simple/easy explanation as to why! Glad you persisted. You should not need a google account, I allow for anonymous posting in my settings. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. How much more special it is for you, most would watch and just not see the details that you know. You know stories and people and the sights. How wonderfully bittersweet! Huge hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo... and I used to watch that way before I traveled there, spent a few days each time, and "settled in" to the area.

      As for the memories associated with the places, happy memories are a joy as we get older. I highly recommend building memories, and shaping them to be happy ones, wherever you are on that age time-line! Most of my great running memories are post age 55! It's not too late to start.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...