Monday, May 23, 2022

Catching up on the miscellany

With "the kids" safely home... time to play catch up on what's been going on here in town.

I thought the trash cans had got hauled away, but when I went out to put a bag of trash in the rolling bin the next week, I was greeted by this:

Yes, those considerate trash men has put the empties inside the big bin!  No wonder it seemed a little heavy rolling it back into the garage!

So I put them outside with the others, and I still have five bins for weeds and branches.







Saturday the 14th was not just the start of the kids' adventure, it was my first kayak outing of 2022... have to put that gift card to good use.


It was a perfect day for a first outing of the year.  I managed to work up a small blister (normal for a first outing for me).  On my right hand, between the thumb and forefinger.  Same place as last year.  Oh, well.



Sunshine, blue skies with puffy clouds, calm water, and people enjoying the day!




On Sunday, I was noticing that I kind of strained that right arm I had been re-habbing.  I took it easy Sunday and Monday, and by Tuesday I was fine for working out with the coach / trainer.

While the kids were at the shore, my tree service guys showed up and cleared out the back yard.  It went from this:




To this:






That was phase one.  The same day, the boss man worked up an estimate to replace two sides of the fence... two different estimates... one with the same style of fencing I have on the front side, the other with a little "cheaper" style of plain picket fencing.

I called the utility line locators and they will be done marking the yard by 8 a.m. tomorrow, supposedly.  One has already "cleared" my property as not having lines.  Another has marked where their lines are buried.  Seven yet to hear from.  

This morning I called them back about the phase 2 estimate that I wanted done before the fence work.  This would involve stump grinding so that the area could be mowed over.  My wallet is crying over the estimate so far, and there's a part of me that wants to drag my feet.  But we'll see.

Same day, the geese decided to pause on top of the neighbor's house:



I made jokes about supply chain issues, as they were expecting a child, "any day".  Could not source the storks normally arriving with baby?





On Sunday the 22nd, balloons went up, but I can't tell from the colors whether it's a boy or a girl they brought home in the carrier.  And I'm not quite a nosey enough neighbor to cross the street and ask.  Need to find a gift first!


That pretty much catches y'all up on what I was up to while they were on the road.  The kids got home Sunday afternoon, and took Covid tests before Lacey went over to pick up the birds from her parents' where they had been cared for during the trip.  My son opted not to come pick up his textbook that he had delivered to my house until today.  And they are already planning next weekend's Memorial Day grill-out to show off their Spiedie marinade skills.

Wishing my Canadian friends (and elsewhere in the Commonwealth) a Happy Victoria Day today... for once the two holidays are on differing weekends.

Don't forget to take care of yourself and your health as a priority... because...

LIFE is good.  Spark on!  🔥✨✨💖

14 comments:

  1. OMG!!! That photo with the geese on the roof HAS to be included with any gift that you take to the new parents. That photo is priceless. I can only imagine the stories that will be told about that stop in the future.

    Sure wish I could find a tree service like that around here. That looks awesome!

    Glad DS and future wife made it home safely. Enjoy the holiday cook-out with the special treats brought back from the journey.

    Have a pleasant evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! But first I have to figure out how to get my photo to print with some connectivity issues that cropped up yesterday for my laptop!

      Oh well, a fresh day, a fresh puzzle! Have a great Tuesday!

      Delete
  2. What a difference in the yard! It is going to look great I am sure. We have a flock of geese on top of our apartment building each morning. Drives our kitty nuts because she can hear them but can't see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Tigger! The squirrels and geese seem to like to tease the domestic companions, don't they?

      Have a great Tuesday!

      Delete
  3. That's funny about the geese. The condo we stayed in had their outdoor pool opened and power washed while we were there; a source of much discussion from our 16th floor balcony men. When the pool was about halfway filled, a pair of geese took temporary residence.

    I'm glad you enjoyed your first outing. I usually suffer some foot or leg issue on my first good day spring walks. The price of enjoying nature.

    OMG on your yard, that's all I can say. Well, not all. I'd opt for skipping a few meals to get it done right the first time to avoid the buildup of greenery again. You've such a big yard but I bet it looked nice in the summer with the plants hiding the fence.

    I hope you have a great weekend meet-up. I was informed I'm having guests and they are going to open my pool for me. I hope that also means scrubbing off the nasty cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo-hoo for getting extra hands to help open the pool! Sounds like a fine way to celebrate the first "official" long weekend of the Summer.

      I'm kind of pulling up my budgetary breeches to face what I have to do to "get it done right" but the guy still hasn't called me back about the stump grinding! Grrr. But it's been less than 24 hours since I left him a message.

      Onward! Have a fine Tuesday!

      Delete
  4. Sorry – have to chuckle @ your garbage men’s ‘kindness’. I think our garbage collectors are kindred spirits!

    Glad you got your first kayak session of the season in! Looks beautiful!

    Wow! You had a lot of trees/brush taken down! Looks good.

    OH boy. Not good when the wallet is crying. But it will be good to have al the work done and the fence mended.

    Well, good luck to your neighbors and their new little addition! Blessings.

    Glad the kids got home safe! Nice.

    Here’s to a terrific Tuesday.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I found the garbage cans. Seriously, how *does* one get rid of one if it's no longer needed? I'm OK for now, I still use these.

      Hope you have a great Tuesday!

      Delete
  5. Supply chain issues 😆 I use that one a lot, too.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes things are such that you have to laugh. 💖

      Delete
  6. Last weekend some Canadian geese had a stopover at a sister and brother-in-law's lake property. She captured them with her camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to wonder whether this was the same pair I saw nesting in the neighborhood park last Summer. Quite a few frequent a nearby lake, but seeing them on the roof was very unusual!

      Birds in general are quite photogenic, aren't they?

      Delete
  7. A beautiful day out on the water. It must be very peaceful and relaxing out there.

    How considerate of your trash collectors to put the cans all together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at the considerate trash collectors. And yes, it was lovely being out on the water... thinking about going again, when it warms up, that is. Brrrr. 52 and raining Wednesday morning!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...