Sunday, May 29, 2022

Memorial Day traditions

 The body was a bit on the stiff side when I got up this morning (Sunday) after yesterday's bending and moving about (weeding, kayaking, etc.)  So I gave myself permission to have a quiet morning.  Church on line was lovely, as the music minister preached Mr. Rogers to the tune of the Good Samaritan... a good sermon for this week that presented us with horrid news, and recognizing the importance of considering children in this world.

Mid-morning I put together the Greek salad for this afternoon's gather at my son's house.  He's in charge of the grilling of the Spiedies.  His fiancé's mom is bringing the dessert.

It promises to be a hot one out there, topping out around 89℉, with a relative humity of 59% just now.  

Until it is time to leave, I have the greatest spectacle in racing on in the background.  I listen more than watch, as that matches my childhood memories.  My dad and his fellow car enthusiasts would put it on the radio while the church picnic unfolded.  I used to work back in the 1970's and early 1980's with a woman named Winnie Forward.  She had been a native of Indianapolis, and would go watch the qualifying runs, considering the Memorial Day weekend race much more boring.  It's funny what sticks in your memory.

Snatched from my nieces FB posting, here is Miss Theo and her 12 ducklings!

In 2018 Miss Theo was rescued from a window well, and raised with my niece's two domestic ducklings.  In the Autumn, she flew off with others of her kind (she's a mallard, in case you can't see from the photo).

In 2019 she came back, bringing a drake with her, but her first clutch was eaten by a fox in the neighborhood.  She did come back in subsequent years, but this is the first time she brought the brood up to meet her humans.





The next version of "A man and his dog" from the mythical son and his fiancé's trip to the East Coast.  I've seen them since, briefly, but today will get to see them again.  Carl had never had the water jump at him before this trip, so he wasn't quite sure what to do about it.  Still, what a great stop-action shot... hard to tell in miniature, but when I get this one on the computer and expanded, the droplets of surf and the waves catching at Carl's legs are awesome.  

As part of my prep to head over, I used the home Covid test that will expire soonest.  I still have four more that are good until August.  Have not ordered the next set yet.  It came out negative, as expected.  I have tested several times over the past 2 1/2 years, and always came back negative.  Sometimes being a hermit pays?  Or if I ever "had" it, always tested negative.

Here's hoping my spark friends are taking good care of themselves this holiday weekend (US), or ordinary weekend (elsewhere)... treat yourselves gently as you honor the fallen and celebrate the changing seasons.

Life is good.  Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. I too am sore today for all the yard work I did yesterday but it was such a lovely morning today I did get my butt out for a nice long walk and made it home just intime for the rain to hit. Have a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like perfect timing for that walk! This Monday morning, I stepped out on my deck and felt mist hit my arms but could not see where it was coming from, as it seemed clear! My daughter in law to be posted a photo of a sudden downpour on her side of town, but she said it was strange because the sun was shining!

      Delete
  2. The Greek salad looks yummy. It only gets made here a couple of times through the summer. Since I'm the only one who will eat it, limited prep works best.

    Clicking on the photos allows the expanded version. The droplets are visible. Closer view of the ducklings and mama, too.

    Enjoy the special time with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did. The Spiedies turned out terrific. He chose to make pork spiedies, and not to try to do chicken at the same grilling, because he wasn't sure he could get them timed right between the two. Approved of by the crowd. And the Greek salad disappeared for the most part. Like you, when I make a big batch, it lasts a long time at my house!

      Glad the photos expanded for you!

      Delete
  3. I’m still not sure what I’m gonna do with myself tomorrow (since the BF is off for the holiday):
    A. Do the usual 6am Cycle class
    B: Do the 10am Kettlebell class (to sleep in a bit, of course).
    🤔Im gonna set 2 alarms and see which one I get up to 😁
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I awoke about 4:30 a.m. and tried to go back to sleep, but didn't so much succeed. Finally gave up and got up at 6:30. Oh, well... a new day begins!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful sermon!

    Ohhhhh, your Greek salad looks phenomenal! Hope the Spiedies turn out well!

    Hot and humid here, too, today.

    Love the picture of the mythical son and Carl!

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very comforting sermon, to me. The family gather was wonderful, out in the air, on the shaded deck, got to see the birds (DIL to be brought them out in their cage to hang with the people)...

      It is good, since we're not the immediately affected families in the news, to take breaks from that for normal activity. While honoring the grief of others, we also have to tend to our own mental health.

      Delete
  5. Mmm on the cookout. Love the Miss Theo story and photo of Carl's encounter with the waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked too much, as I always do... but doggone if fellow MIL to be doesn't ask the most leading open questions... and there are these stories. Of course I got a few out of THEM as well!

      Very good Spiedies! Better than any I ever made, and closest to the back in Bingo-town variety as I've ever had this far from the source.

      Delete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...