Tuesday, May 10, 2022

How do you discard a garbage can?

Friday:  I think I found out.  It's unpredictable!  If you WANT the garbage can to get hauled off, it almost never is.  But this morning, I put these two cans full of cuttings out?  And the cans went away with the brush and weeds!


Friday the HVAC folks sent a technician out to check my AC for the season.  It was only 54℉ outside.  The nice young man (named Francisco) pulled it off, though.  He asked what I usually set the thermostat to, and I told him, the default is 83, but I usually bump it down to 79.  He said, "Oh, you keep it pretty warm in here, then."  I explained about the two sides of the house and how if I made it too chilly in the parlor (where the thermostat sits) the other side of the house would be an ice cube!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has that kind of a house... different rooms heat/cool at different rates.  I close doors to control it on the upper story.  I keep the thermostat higher in summer to control the family room and lower level.

Saturday:  Ever have one of those days when you just don't wanna?  That would be me, Saturday morning.  My attitude improved with an early afternoon nap, and I managed to do the cat laundry and a quick vacuum before the others arrived for the final "Fish Party".  This time it was blackened salmon and dirty rice, with garlic green beans.

The fish event was interspersed with sports spectator events.  It was World Championships for the Ironman long course.  I had a FB friend who was qualified.  As it turned out she did not finish.  From the tracking app, it looked as though the problem was on the bike leg of the race.  Sure enough, a couple of days later, I saw her post responding to all the "you OK?" messages from FB friends.  She tapped out at about mile 90 on the bike course.  There will be another race, better to make the choice to DNF than push to excess.

During dinner itself we had the Kentucky Derby coverage on.  We were done eating by the time the starting gate opened, and wow!  An 80-1 long shot named Rich Strike won it.  And was frisky and feisty after the race, to boot.  This was not your usual horse racing theme... this horse was not part of the original field, but had only been added in the last week, when another horse scratched.  I could not help but have images in my head of the women who first ran the Boston Marathon by joining in from the bushes... OK, I admit I have an odd sense of humor.

Happy Mother's Day:  I awoke Sunday morning to a gift in my Gmail inbox!  Remember last Summer when I took up kayaking?  

This morning's surprise was a gift card for the Lincoln Paddle company.  I now have the burr under my saddle (to rhyme with paddle) to resume this moderately active and very peaceful commune with nature for the new season.

I went on to join what has now become a son-centered family gathering with his girlfriend and her parents.  It was cloudy in the morning, but they had set the time for 3 p.m.  Turned out to be perfect.  Cloudy, not too hot, not too chilly.  Burgers and dogs and good conversation, hard to match that.  Carl antics as well.




 





There was a surprise visitor: a Baltimore Oriole (the bird, not a ball-player).  It was hopping from branch to branch of the big shade tree in the backyard.  All the humans were peering up at the tree, to see what the feathered friend was up to.  Carl wanted to know what we were looking at, but when he couldn't figure it out, barked at it anyway.  The bird was unimpressed.

The gather was topped off at the end by a Bourbon cherry pie, ala mode, of course.  End of this week "the kids" are heading East, along with Carl, on a long road trip.  The plan is to see relatives and sights.  Son's old stomping grounds of the Southern Tier of NY, and the Jersey shore are on the agenda.  He plans to introduce his girlfriend to his dad.  I'm looking forward to hearing how things are in the tiny little village where the mythical son grew up, and what Carl thinks of Diamond's old park.  

Monday:  Time to take care of Dexter's oil change needs.  I walked around the block while they serviced the car.  20 minutes and out, and I was ready to collapse in a heap, having reached my limit of people for a week!

I indulged in a nap, and that makes all the difference.  I finished Monday working on laundry while I kept tabs on "The First Lady".  The first two episodes are streaming for free, but it's a Showtime series, and I have kept Showtime from having followed another series or two. At the Sunday family gather it was recommended by the other mom in the group.  I'm through the first 3 episodes as of Tuesday, and I agree with her, it's very good!

Tuesday:  Woke up feeling yucky, but I took my allergy meds and another home Covid test (negative) and decided I was OK to go workout with the trainer.  As anticipated, I started feeling better once the decision to go was made and once I got moving.  I wore my mask again, just in case.

It's primary election day in Nebraska, and boy, am I ever ready for the mud-slinging commercials to die down a bit!  Like many people in our country, I have become deeply skeptical of the negative ads.  Some of the "positive" ads give me enough reason to vote against a candidate, I don't need the negative ones! 

Even if we differ as far as our policy preferences, we're all just people trying to live our lives.  We work our jobs, balance our budgets, love our kids and pets and desire a safe and secure world.  We grieve for one another, those near and far whose lives are threatened whether it be from poverty, violence, sickness, or war.  We strive to do our part to make things better, even though we may differ in what we believe will make things better.  Giving one another the benefit of the doubt and the grace of kindness, we'll get through whatever challenges life throws at us.

Local covid report:  it's ticking up, in case counts.  Not a whole lot, yet, but enough to be a trend.  Public health has pushed the risk dial up into the "low yellow" range.  Guess "spring break from Covid" is over.  We had five weeks of green, for which I am grateful, and I tried to take advantage of a little more freedom.

Pep talk time, weekly edition:

Remember (self, and others) to take care of that one and only body you've been issued in life.

  • Hydrate
  • Nourish your body and mind with the things that make you FEEL good, not just that tickle your taste buds.  If you pay attention you can get both of these in the same foods!
  • Do active things that keep your limbs and heart functional and your mind engaged.
  • Make sure you're checking in with folks who are supportive of your efforts.  Everybody needs a cheerleader or two in their lives!  To get some, be one!
  • And at the end of the day, let it all go... you've done what you can for today with the energy budget you've been given, so let yourself rest.  

Life is good.  Keep on a-Sparking!

🔥💖



12 comments:

  1. It sounds like a busy and active week for you. I'm sure it was a nice to spend some time with family.

    I'm thinking it might be a bad allergy season for me. It's already dry and that bothers me.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! Condolences on the allergies! I'm getting to the point where I think I have a balance with one 24 hour pill every 36-48 hours.

      May you and your tribe have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. Happy (late) Mother's Day! A very productive week. Tossing trash cans is often a how-do-I-do this kind of chore. Family time is special time...looks like a fun time. Safe travels for DS and GF. Hot, humid, miserable are the adjectives to describe our weather...winter to summer...seems to be the new normal.

    Wishing you a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we had a sudden arrival of Summer temps, too! Oh, and the garbage cans? I didn't INTEND for them to be taken this time, I used them as trash cans and expect them to be left behind, on this time they weren't. Oh, well, guess I'll live with the three I still have, until such time as they decide to take them away, too.

      Hope you have a wonderful week, too.

      Delete
  3. So great catching up with you. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH boy! Never works when we need a garbage can trashed. LOL

    What a wonderful Mother’s Day gift!

    Carl looks like he’s in his element getting attention! He’s has such a beautiful coat!

    Ohhhh, bourbon cherry pie . . . ala mode! That sounds perfect!

    Safe travels to them going East!

    Glad that the allergy meds helped and the test was negative.

    Yes, our Covid #’s are spiking up, too. **SIGH**

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! And when I push the next blog out, you'll find out the rest of the story about the garbage cans.

      The week moves on... may you have a good rest of it!

      Delete
  5. That all sounds great. I'll be leaving NJ when your son arrives but only heading south to another Ocean City in MD. 4 days R&R with our traveling companions.
    I spent Mother's Day in total exhaustion in my recliner. I'd been watching grands for 4 days and nights while their mom and dad were away. I've still got it but 'it' isn't like it used to be! 3 kids, separate sports schedules, two days of rain, a two story house, and a large non-compliant dog. Hmm, add to that an increasingly grumpy and disabled pop-pop and I had so much fun. LOL. The fun was also had and still continues as the dad is away on business (mom met him there) and I helped for about 9 days total. I think I'm done now. Last night was the 8 year old at baseball who practiced with me the day before. My softball skills revived! My knees and back also reminded me that was 55 years ago!!!!!!!
    More cans, more garbage. Maybe it was karma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grands and kid trips and re-creating, oh, my! Hope you have a great trip South and hopefully you get some shoreline time. I was told on Mother's Day that Dad is resisting the NJ trip, pleading mobility issues. GF is on tap to try to warm him up to the idea... they'll slow to his speed whatever it is. I'm enjoying the vicarious nature of this particular adventure.

      I'm noticing that I, too, wear out more easily than once I did. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. Happy belated Mother's Day!
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Had to go catch up on all your Runkeeper activity. I am impressed. We have to keep moving, eh?

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...