Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Spiedies - since Speded2 asked

 

Since speded2 asked in the comments to yesterday's blog:  

For those of us not from that area, what is/are Spiedie?

As with many regional specialties, the spiedie was introduced by the immigrants who settled the area.  In the case of the Binghamton, New York area, those immigrants were from Italy and Greece.  So think about spices you have enjoyed in Italian and Greek dishes.

Next, let's think about the meat of the sandwich:  meat itself.  Spiedies can be made with any meat, pretty much, it's the spicing and preparation that makes it a spiedie.  If you think about the Greek influence, you'd think perhaps lamb.  Yes, folks make lamb spiedies.  If you think about the hunting country (James Fennimore Cooper novels are the classics) of the Susquehanna valley, you can easily see this as a venison thing.  Yes, there are folks who make venison spiedies.  Also the more available in America beef, pork and chicken.

The meat is cut into chunks, about an inch to inch and a half in size.  The chunks are marinated in the sauces of the griller's choosing.  I used to make my own after I moved back to Nebraska, experimenting and trying to re-create the flavors I remembered.  I never quite succeeded, but I tried for several years.  Oil, some acid, and dry spices added.  I soaked the meat at least 24 hours in the fridge.

When the day for eating arrives, the chunks are grilled on skewers.  IMHO the best ones are grilled over charcoal.  Finally, this grilled meat is delivered to the eater on seeded buns (rolls).  Sides to taste, but you've got plenty of starch and protein in the sandwich itself, so veggies are a good fit, fresh or grilled.

As with BBQ or chili, there are cookoffs for spiedies.  One of the more well-known is held in Binghamton, NY, in August, along with a rock concert and balloon launch.  Here you go, a link:

Spiedie Fest & Balloon Rally 2022


12 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry.

    I would love to see a regional food cookoff!
    My pork roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll against your spedies any day!
    LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem with that is that you'd be competing childhood memories from various regions! Most likely people would vote for the food they grew up with. Especially if they hadn't enjoyed it in a while.
      I don't think Charles ever introduced me to pork roll... I know, sacrilege! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! Never heard of these before, but they sound delicious!

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to me like every region / locality has their own version of spiced meat sandwiches. I have enjoyed pasty (UP Michigan), Maid Rites (central Iowa), Runzas (Nebraska), and of course Spiedies (Southern Tier NY)... I'd be willing to bet there are many, many more, to which I've not been introduced.

      Delete
  3. Spiedies were too spicy for my wimpy stomach and I didn't care for the lamb which I had never eaten before. My friend in Newark Valley did some homemade chicken Spiedies that I liked. Now the pizza there was awesome compared to the few chain places here at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Memorial Day grilling at son's place. Lupo's used to be fine with my tummy, and we always ordered the chicken. "The kids" are foodies, so I'm sure it will be good.

      Homemade spiedies can be whatever your tummy needs them to be!

      Delete
  4. Sadly, I clicked on the link and my brain instantly thought super spreader event 😔
    So hard not to think this way when my nephews’ middle school had an outbreak (36 students and 2 teachers).
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about super-spreader events and the flinching we all do since the past couple of years. Our local risk dial is ticking back up again. My behavior hasn't changed much, and no, I'm not going to big, crowded events, either.

      Delete
  5. I never heard of these before, but I want one. They sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first spout of jealousy on the trip was seeing them chowing down on Spiedies, but it gets worse. Today they proceeded to New Jersey for a tomato pie (thin crust pizza) lunch at Red Star, and then a visit to Island Beach State Park, where DIL to be posted videos of the waves rolling in on the Atlantic shore. OK, now I have the "wanna travel" urges, and just as Covid is ticking up again!

      Delete
  6. After I clicked on the link and read about the food and the balloons. I went in search of a recipe. And this is what I found. It mentions Lupos. There is even a special marinade.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/story/spiedies-binghamton-new-york-sandwich
    I've learned so much today. ;-) On a related note in the comment section. Missouri has one Maid Rite in DH's home town. It is across the street from the high school he attended, and according to him, he ate lunch there daily. DH graduated in 1959 and the place still operates. Anytime we visit there, he makes sure to stop and get his "fix".
    Your posts are not only fun, but educational as well. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lupo's is the marinade he's bringing back to grill with on Memorial Day. He says he knows he can get Salamida in the stores, but it's just not the same!

      Isn't diversity fascinating? Thanks for the note about Maid Rite in Missouri... is that near the Iowa border, your DH's home town? I first encountered them in Des Moines, but I'd seen them sprinkled throughout Iowa and my Great Aunt swore by them!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...