Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Vicarious Sentimental Journey

 Some of you may have known me long enough to have taken the vicarious journey in 2018, out to Corning, New York, to run a half marathon to my brother's full.  This week, I'm following via messenger photos as my son takes his fiance out to that old stomping ground, to meet his dad.  Carl is with them and today, the third day on the road, they arrived at some very familiar territory.

This is a clip from a video taken in 1999 of Diamond (the dog) and me, at the Trout Ponds in Newark Valley, NY.  Today I saw several shots from near there, starring Carl.

Clearly he enjoyed his romp in Diamond's old spots.


Here Carl climbs up the bank, having taken a little dip.






Our old house has been sided by the new owners since we left there, and since ex sold it.


My son narrated memories for his fiance.  I am so happy that she's into that sort of thing.






Before they got up to the little village where my son spent his childhood, he stopped for lunch at an old favorite haunt.  Part of his goal was to source the "secret sauce" from our old favorite Spiedie joint.  Lacey was treated to her first taste.  Thank goodness, she liked them.

She also was taken by his old middle school, from whence we all left for the great Washington DC trip when he was in 5th grade.

In short, this is a nostalgia trip for me, from a distance, through messages.  There are a whole lot more photos, and I'm not going to overwhelm the blog with them, but have to put in the father-son one she shared last night, when they drove on to Ithaca, where my ex now lives.



It looks like he's holding up well!  He is a few years older than I, concerned about his balance, and recently began to use a cane.

As a closing note, I'd like to give a "sentimental" pep talk:  whatever negatives there may be in life, if you can manage to focus on the good, focus on the love, and let it warm you, it is good for your health.

So take good care of yourselves, my dear friends.  Drink that water.  Eat enough of "the right stuff" to support your immune system.  And be as kind as you can manage.  Then at the end of the day, when you review its events, you can settle in to that well-earned rest.


Life is good.  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. Small world. I've spent time in Newark Valley and eaten Spiedies at Lupos! A long-time close friend (RIP Joyce 2020), a former trainer of mine at IBM in Endicott, retired to Newark Valley.

    Our Austin location had a division of about 1,000 transfers from NY as our manufacturing building was being built and until the parts & materials were stocked in Austin, we production analyzers went through Endicott with our orders.

    One retiree opened a Spiedies' place in a small commercial center at the edge of our subdivision when he retired but it closed not long after it opened. Couldn't compete with tacos and burritos place next door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I know you were a former Beemer? I left there in the big down-sizing of 1993, and after a number of side-trips ended up "back home" in Nebraska. Spiedies are pretty much a regional thing, so not surprised if it didn't "take" in another geography.

      Connections!

      Delete
    2. It's doubtful I ever mentioned the place on SP. We were both downsized in 1993 to our dismay, as we felt his programming position was protected. I was 2-1/2 years short of receiving the full retirement benefits (had 9-1/2 years with the State of Texas previously). DH stayed on as a contractor for 6 years followed by several of those 'side-trips'. I used the retraining portion of my package to return to The Univ of TX at Austin to complete the degree I began in the Fall of 1967 -- grateful that many of the hours from my two Associate's Degrees were transferable. I took a break in school to assist my parents full-time and graduated at age 50 in 1999 (Dad in advanced stages of dementia passed in 1997 and Mom needed a lot of support until her passing in 2002). My next employment was as a book review editor for a publishing company that worked with new/recent authors which I enjoyed until eyesight issues forced my leaving. I read the reviews written by readers located mostly throughout the States with some folks from other countries. I edited for grammar and format and placed on company letterhead & posted to website.

      This non-techie actually wrote a library of programs using QMF and SAS to pull data from the Manufacturing Reporting System to make life simpler for several areas that used the system!

      Delete
    3. Oh, you were what I used to refer to as a "power user", the very best kind of programmer, imho. You know what you want and need, and you use sophisticated tools to build it, but you aren't "computer scientists" distracted by the tools themselves, more concerned with the job at hand.

      It's amazing we both ended up leaving there in the same wave. I went from there to Iowa, then back to NY based as a traveling consultant, and eventually got a gig in NE, and moved "home" on that assignment.

      Awesome!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You and your camera would be having a blast, as you always do. Today she posted pictures of Ithaca Falls, and the Cornell Botanical gardens... and of course the kitsch of Wise Potato Chips (a brand we don't have out here)... and they were going for pizza. Clearly the fun continues. Tomorrow they are supposed to take off for the Jersey Shore. I'm just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

      Delete
  3. ❤️memory lane
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sentimental journeys can be heartwarming. The photos are great, especially the ones of the creek. For those of us not from that area, what is/are Spiedie? It's wonderful that DS was able to share some of his early roots with his future bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, rats! The photo DIL to be posted was to "my story" so it's rolled off... I do have another photo that I will write a mini-blog around. Basic info: marinated meat, grilled on skewers, served up on a seeded bun. Lupo's was our favorite spicing in the marinade which is why DS particularly took her there!

      Delete
  5. It is so important to write down these memories as they are lost so quickly. Wonderful to share yours with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! This morning I was trying to remember the name of a friend I lost to an auto accident, maybe 40 years ago... and I could remember Linda, but not her last name! It will probably come to me... oh, it just did! Better write it down!

      And the funniest things bring those memories front and center.

      Delete
  6. What wonderful memories!

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...