Saturday, May 28, 2022

Yard, continued

Yeah, I know, you can't tell one tub full of cuttings and weeds from another.  Trust me this one, and another, have been filled since the trash man took the last collection away.

The yard guy came Saturday morning (the one who took down the volunteer trees and weeds) and we walked and talked over the back yard, about the stump grinding / roto-tilling phase of the project.  He gave me an estimate, and we are talking about end of next week, or beginning of the following one for doing the work.  I booked it, as it did not seem outrageous, he said it will likely take a full day.  I wanted to take this cost into account as I mull over the fence estimate, so was glad he came out on the weekend, rather than having to wait into another week.

Speaking of the fence, I still have not chatted with the neighbor about the part along our shared lot line.  Must do THAT, this weekend, before I book the job.  I don't have the neighbor's phone number, so it's either catch him in the yard or knock on a door.  Sometimes with all these cell phones and no more phone books, we're moving backwards in time where we have to actually meet our neighbors in person!

This afternoon, I had a kayak reserved at the little lake over the hill.  Good day for it, sunny and a high temperature above 85℉.  I have invested in my own life jacket and phone case by now, figuring this hobby is going to "stick".  If I ever go out with the kids and in-laws to be again, it saves some re-sizing and swapping of gear.

The phone did not like the heat and turned itself off during my paddling session, but I did manage to snap a couple of photos, this one at the beginning of the kayak session, before the phone turned itself off.

The victory of the day was that when I got done and headed in, the owner was busy starting off some beginners and I got my 69 and a half year old self OUT of the sit-in kayak without assistance, and pulled it up on shore.  I think the real secret to this is that I've started this season kayaking barefoot.  Seriously, it's easier to plunge your feet into the sandy shoreline and get yourself centered and upright when you can dig those toes in!

After I got out and put my shoes on and restarted my phone, I found a video my niece in Salt Lake City had just posted.  Her family had taken in an abandoned wild duckling found in a window well in 2018.  They raised her with a domestic pair of ducklings, and named her Miss Theo.  She has come back each year, but this year, she's brought a brood of 12 ducklings to visit.  The video clip my niece shared was Miss Theo leading her band along the path.


A perfect coincidence:  while walking over that bridge on the way back to my car, I spotted a dad rowing his little daughter under the bridge. They were following a mama duck with her brood.  The little girl was fascinated.  A turtle was sunning itself on the same log the little ducklings launched from, but by the time I got my camera set, the turtle had swum off.


Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have been having laptop issues.  It seems to have lost its ability to detect wireless networks.  The troubleshooter says it might be something wrong with the driver, but I've tried several "fixes" and now I'm down to stringing ethernet wire so there are two spots in the house where I can "plug in".  At least I have it to the point where I can reach the wireless printer from where I have my laptop connected.

Probably time for a new laptop... but supply chains and of course, budget!  So I'm doing what my mom taught me to do:  making do.

End of the day is approaching, so I'm giving myself that advice I often share:  what I have done today is enough.  I can let go, start my evening rituals, and have a restful night.  I have nourished my body.  I have hydrated it.  I have bathed it after some active fun.  I have got out in nature.  I have thanked my maker for the blessings in this world and asked for strength and guidance for all who are dealing with the things that don't seem to be blessing anyone!

Breathe, sleep... life is goodKeep Sparking!


12 comments:

  1. You internet problems sound a little like what I go through sometimes. Some sites work and some don't. I usually have to replace my wifi box from Xfinity. I'm going to get my own and hopefully won't have those problems anymore.

    It looks like you had a wonderful day on the water. That would be so peacefully to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing about the computer problem is that it is exclusively a device problem, not the network itself. My smart TVs are streaming just fine, wirelessly. My phone connects to it fine. It's just the laptop. Every so often I go seek out another YouTube video and try to see if there's something I haven't yet tried to restart the service, update the driver software, whatever. So far, since I have a workaround, I've thrown in the towel on each proposed "solution". Oh, well, it's a puzzle I can keep coming back to.

      Hope you have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  2. The view from the bow of your kayak is spectacular.

    Barefoot is the way to go. Even as a kid, I hated to wear shoes. That hasn't changed much over the years. I find that my balance and walking abilities are better barefoot.

    The trip with dad is what makes special memories to be relived in her future. Says a lot about the dad.

    Re the laptop issues: maybe a new wifi router. Just a thought.

    Thanks for the uplifting post. Such a nice way to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the router... works fine with all the other internet connected devices in the house! Just a thought... btw I love that phrase... it allows for the sharing of ideas, whether they turn out to work or not!

      I agree about the dad-daughter memories. I was so touched by seeing that little glimpse into their relationship. Matter of fact, I saw several family groups on the lake... parents taking their kids out on kayaks, mom or dad paddling (even pairs of kayaks, mom paddling one kid, dad another). What a lovely way to have safe family fun and distract from the TV stuff these days!

      I almost completely stopped doing barefoot a dozen to fifteen years back, when I tripped over my dog and was in pain going barefoot. After that point, I couldn't wear heels, I went almost exclusively to closed toe athletic shoes. BUT, I have slowly noticed it getting better in the past couple of years, for which I am grateful.

      Here's wishing you a peaceful Sunday and Memorial Day, remembering those we have lost.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy catching up with you! Wonderful kayaking pictures. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice myself writing and posting more as the weather starts trending toward Summer and I have more to write about! Isn't that the way? Sometimes we have boring stretches in life, and sometimes it just seems to sing.

      Delete
  4. YES, it is sometimes annoying that people don’t have landlines so much anymore, which means phone books are going the way of the rotary dial phone, too. **SIGH** Hope you connect w/your neighbor.

    Good for you landing and getting out of the kayak yourself! Kudos.

    How neat that Miss Theo returned w/her brood! Awesome

    Yes, computers are definitely impacted by the supply chain problems. **SIGH** Good luck.

    A good day all in all.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not as connected as once we were... or rather, the nature of our connections have changed. I'm more connected with y'all on the internet than with my own physical proximity neighbors! Even before the internet, I was more connected with my work-mates than my neighbors. You'd have to go back to my mother's era to get the neighborhood connections.

      So, this is an opportunity to correct that lack of connectivity!

      Delete
  5. So glad you had a wonderful kayak trip; good for you getting in/out without assistance….definitely something to be celebrated!!
    Isn’t that wonderful that the rescued duck shared her 12 babies with her humans?! I’m sure your niece was thrilled!
    I am always barefoot…I remember decades ago, I’d take my shoes off outdoors in early Spring and my Mom would scold if she caught me…
    she thought I’d get sick, I suppose. Now, living in FL, my feet are happy😂‼️
    Happy Sunday! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely your mom was afraid you'd step on something sharp or stickery... injury versus illness. I think I'd be more nervous in Florida, where the rest areas say "watch out for poisonous snakes". Unnerving, first time I saw one.

      I love the evolving story of Miss Theo... every year there seems to be a new chapter, and this one is joyous! And yes, my niece (and her children) were thrilled.

      Hope you have a refreshing Sunday!

      Delete
  6. ❤️the story behind the (RunKeeper posted) photo 😁
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...