Thursday, August 10, 2023

It is almost like a "taper" week


The week leading up to the cataract surgery.  Rubia is supportive:  "I'll purr for you, mama!  Pet me and tell me I'm a pretty kitty.  

Help me up to the counter so that I can drink the running water from the tap, please?"

She's getting stronger and sassier by the day.  Funny what having a home will do for a cat!  She's regaining some of her jumping ability.



Meanwhile, Sleeping Beauty's forest has been greatly boosted by the recent rains.  Sigh.


My older sister called on Sunday morning to confirm arrangements to medicate the cats starting Monday morning.  It's going to be a busy week with phone call from the surgical hospital, pre-op physical and blood draw, two trainer workouts, and the cat-care.

Monday morning I had set the alarm for 6 a.m. and got up when it sounded.  I tend to sleep with the sun, and mornings are a trifle later than they were a couple of weeks ago, so I was at my sister's medicating, litter box cleaning and feeding her kitties at 7:30, an hour later than I was in June.  It was cool and cloudy, which is in keeping with the variable weather patterns we've been having.  Sometimes we do get a cool week in August.

Tuesday was my "busy" day.  Cats.  Trainer.  Phone call from the surgical hospital.  Pre-op physical at my primary.  I went into a whole lot of detail with the surgical admittance nurse about the RSV.  She says I'm right on the borderline for what the anesthetists like for symptom free from respiratory stuff pre-surgery.  She'll run it by them, and they will call me if there's a stop sign encountered from that communication.  As of Thursday, no call from them, so "no news is good news" on that front.

When I got to the doctor's office for the pre-op exam, they expressed surprise that the blood draw had been scheduled for later.  They went ahead and took my blood, and would have results on Wednesday.  Expect a phone call with results.

Wednesday was a dark and drippy kind of day, at least the first half.  Not solid rain.  Intermittent rain.  But thick gray clouds.  The cats were kind of in and out and in and out the sliding deck door.  Laundry was the order of the day for me.  The phone call from the Doctor's office came in the afternoon.  All bloodwork was normal.  So, looks like all the hurdles have been jumped, and Monday morning is a "go".

Kid sis Alicia showed up for our Wednesday afternoon walk, which had been waved off the past couple of weeks, due to my little bout with RSV and the heat and school year start stress for her.  She's living one day at a time as this is the school administration's busiest week of the year.

As we were getting close to done with our walk, my phone rang.  It was my son.  His truck is in for a couple of recalls, they are keeping it longer than originally planned for.  He has a loaner vehicle that he's kind of impressed with and wanted to know if I wanted to see it.  Sure... drop on over!

It's an electric Mustang, and it's fancy.  He took me for a ride in it and it's scary electronically controlled.  Got the Zoomies?  This thing zooms!  But sorry, it is not a Mustang to those of us who grew up with the original!  It did not trip the nostalgia circuits in my psyche.

Still, it has all those Tesla-like performance things on it, and a HUGE screen with all the controls.  The parking brake, for example, doesn't seem like a parking brake to me.  It's like the marriage of a computer (even more than before) and a car.  Supposedly it won't let you kill yourself (brakes for you, keeps you in your lane, etc.) but you know, some of those features YOU don't want to test for yourself!  And of course it's expensive.  Almost twice the price of the first house I bought with my husband in 1981.

In any case, after scaring the bejesus out of me with its acceleration power (wow, that could get you into trouble, or it could get you out of trouble).  Fortunately, my kid was raised by me, so he's as skeptical of these things as I am.  Programmed too many computers to trust that there would not be unintended consequences, that's me.

So... bottom line, I've been MIA from blogging, and probably will be again.  Will let y'all know how the surgery goes, probably late next week, after a few days of recovery.


Look who's all buff and healthy!  I was trying to get his photo while he was sitting back at that rail intersection, with the green leafy setting, but he came toward me as soon as I lifted the camera.

The Prisoner says:  "Life is Good.  Spark on!"


 




22 comments:

  1. First of all, good luck with the cataract surgery!! My own personal experience was 100% positive…. Rubia’s regaining her strength and energy and The Prisoner’s enjoying his cat life is all good news! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking forward to this one (cataract surgery) for several years and will be glad to be looking BACK at it, instead.

      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. OMG, you had me at 'Mustang"!
    No, the new ones are not the same. My family and I had several. Mine was a '67 3-speed that took a quart of oil every 200 miles. My former husband had the '67 convertible, teardrop hood, glass-packed Thrush mufflers, Hurst shifter, 4 -on-the-floor that I learned to drive the quarter miler. Dad had a 70 Mach 1.
    Those were the days.
    I'm happy Rubia is becoming a house cat again.

    You will do fine! I wait for you to exclaim how many colors there are that you've been missing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My high school locker mate had a '67 Mustang, and I thought it was the coolest car ever! My maid of honor treated herself to a Mustang when she learned to drive in the '70's and it was even cooler... powder blue soft top, white body, definitely a "Barbie girl" style of car, and it was a huge treat to herself. Good times in those cars!

      I'm skeptical about the improvement in colors as I still test out very well on colors... I don't see how it can be better, but then again, you don't know what you're missing until you aren't missing it any more!

      I know Rubia's getting better because she's starting to annoy me again... that's how I could tell my older sister was recovered from her scary thing in her 30's! When they're in such bad shape you'd forgive them anything and nothing they do can irk you, that's big-time prayer-chain time.

      Hugs to you, too. Have a great weekend and see you on the flip side!

      Delete
  3. Good luck w/your busy week. Glad that all is a go for your surgery! PHEW

    Well, cool! Did not know there was an electric Mustang. Ah yes, those Mustangs from back in the day . . . . awesome muscle cars.

    Awwwww, Prisoner does indeed look fit as a fiddle. Glad that Rubia is gaining strength. HOPEFLLY she learned that adventures sometimes aren’t all they’re cracked up to be! Sounds like she has FOMO -- fear of missing out!

    Hugs and good luck

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes. Cats and learning... not sure that's a thing. They are usually pretty stubborn critters. I'm just glad to see her "normal" personality reasserting itself, because that's a sure sign of getting better!

      Onward, hugs, and have a good weekend!

      Delete
  4. ‘Kid sis’ 😂 You know I turn 60 in March, right? Good to see the kitties doing better and very well. Glad all is a go, and like OWJ, hoping to hear your delight in better vision! ~Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will ALWAYS be my "kid sis"! I can still hold it over you that I hung your diapers out on a line to freeze-dry, as part of my chores before you were potty trained! Just as Kevin will always be my "baby brother" even though he graduated from this life before me. Roles assigned at birth. Hmmmm... if people can choose their own pronouns and gender, can they change birth order denominations?

      Sense of humor check succeeded!

      Delete
  5. Poor Kitty. She's still so skinny, even with all the loving care you provide. She must have had quite an adventure. You are a loving sister to take on the cat care duties with so much going on in your own life.

    Good luck with your surgery. The results will leave you seeing things in a new light. ( pun intended) Prayers for your surgeon to have steady hands. Prayers for you to have a speedy recovery. 💞🤗💞🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is several days old, she's regaining a bit of weight, slowly, thankfully.

      Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  6. I just saw a commercial with a cat drinking out of the running sink water, so cute!
    Looks like we had opposite weeks, I had nothing scheduled/planned. Next week is, by our introvert standards, the overbooked one…one day at a time.
    Best of luck with your surgery. 🙏
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. And sending some your way for your overbooked week ahead!

      Delete
  7. It's good to see Rubia doing better. I bet she won't be venturing out far from home.

    Good luck with your surgery. Praying that everything will go well and your eyes will be new for you.

    Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes and prayers. Rubia is a wise kitty, learning from her oopsies, I'm hoping!

      Delete
  8. So nice to see both kitties on the mend. Hubby has had several cataract surgeries and reattached retina surgery as well. He says they go very well and with very little discomfort. Good luck with it on Monday. Huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. I have a couple of people wanting to know how it all goes for me, as they are in the pipeline behind me, not yet "ripe" enough for surgery. I rely on those who went before me, and they are doing the same.

      Hugs & hope you have a fine weekend!

      Delete
  9. Barb, so glad Rubia is back and hope she can rest up and eat up! I hope your surgery goes well. It sounds like you've had a kind of stressful time with the RSV and now the surgery. I will be thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good thoughts. Less than 24 hours to go at this point... gotta lay in groceries and shovel out the house as there will be other people here!

      Delete
  10. Good luck, you should be done already and resting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and home. Resting? Yeah. Sis is here to cook and watch over me. Fascinating procedure. From my own point of view it was like watching an abstract cartoon while they were working on the eye. Colors and clouds and lights. Pretty awesome. Tomorrow we see how I see without the guard.

      Delete
  11. It's interesting how different the procedures are for cataract surgery in different places.

    When mine was done, the bandage/guard came off in the afternoon. The instructions were for two hours, but I took a nap, so it was about four hours... It was amazing how bright and sharp things were. I did have to put the guard on at night for several days for sleeping. I had to be examined by my optometrist the next day and then a couple weeks later, leaving me having to drive about 215 miles the day after. Surgery was 120 miles from home and optometrist about 45 miles in the other direction... Stayed overnight in the town where the surgery was, instructions were for no driving that day.

    I had three different kinds of eye drops, two ahead of time and one of those and a different one afterward, so about 3 weeks worth.

    Main instruction was to not touch or rub!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting. They told me no driving or cooking or making huge decsions on day of surgery and to have a "responsible adult" with me for the first 24 hours. My son (39) read those, laughed and said he wasn't sure he qualified. I said, "You'll have to do in a pinch." I feel bad 'cause he's sleeping on the recliner downstairs. I'm trying to be quiet in the morning, but I couldn't stay in bed any longer!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...