Friday, August 25, 2023

It's FRIDAY!

Kilroy was here, sunflower edition!  This flower is peeking over the privacy fence, and shining in the morning sun.

Our beastly heat streak is supposed to break today, with a predicted high of only 95℉.  After a couple of readings in the 105℉ range earlier in the week, I'll take it!

There's a big old full moon coming up next week, on the 30th.  It's a blue moon (second full moon in a calendar month), and a super moon (a moon within 10% of its closest position to the earth, which makes it seem about 17% bigger than a normal full moon).  I had to go look that "super moon" term up, because while I had the sense of "it looks bigger" I didn't remember the why it does (it's closer).  

Why is that significant, one might ask?  Because I haven't been kayaking lately!  My local kayak rental place is sponsoring a "Full Moon Paddle" the evening of the 29th of August, a day before that Blue Super Moon.  My friend Geri and I agreed this morning that we need to go, so I'm all signed up, and thus begins a couple of busy weeks.

In those couple of weeks I have the usual two trainer sessions a week, plus two financial planning activities, one a breakfast presentation, the other a one on one with my advisor.  Tucked between the two will be my next eye appointment, when it is hoped I get a new prescription for glasses.

Preceding the business appointments, there are social events.  Labor Day weekend is coming up.  A former co-worker who now lives in California is coming to town and they have organized a luncheon of the collective group of retirees so we can all see her (and each other).  And "The kids" are planning to host a cookout so all the grandparents can come spoil Carl.

I predict that by mid-September I'll be ready to collapse in a heap from all that peopling!

Rubia concurs.  Oh, speaking of good news and people, my daughter in law's allergist says she might have outgrown her allergy to cats.  Not that she's going to be nuzzling them in the near future, but she might cautiously start approaching and seeing how safe she is.  She was epi-pen allergic to them in younger years.

Life is good.

Spark on!

13 comments:

  1. Our heat broke yesterday evening. IT is currently cloudy and 71! Feels downright cool after the 100’s. NO complaints!

    That is wonderful that you and Geri are signed up for kayaking! Sounds like it will be a busy time for you, though, with the trainer sessions, financial planning events and your eye appointment. AND the Labor Day weekend festivities. You’ll be ready for CAVE TIME.

    HOPE Rubia is gaining weight and feeling better since her foray into the wild. That’s awesome if your DIL has outgrown her allergies to cats!

    Here’s to a great weekend.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubia's not gaining as she's not eating much, drinking the minimum, etc. I'm just trying to treat her as gently as possible.

      Delete
  2. Cooler weather will be a treat for the busy days on your calendar.
    While kitty still looks fatigued and kinda sad, she looks content. Can a kitty be sad and content at the same time? Good news about DIL.
    Happy Friday! Here's to a cooler weekend! πŸ€—πŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think she's failing. She doesn't move, eat, or drink much these days. I get hopeful those few times when she does. I even took a bowl of water over to her where she was listlessly laying. She took a few sips then pushed away. She doesn't fight me or flee, she doesn't jump up or annoy. In short, she's not her normal self. I'm worried, but don't want to impose a lot of "vetting" on her if it's not going to be understood or help her, either.

      Delete
  3. We finally had a drop in temps last night with some rain. It's been raining all day today and will continue on Saturday. It's 59right now and lovely.

    Have a wonderful weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had rain overnight here, too, and Saturday morning is much cooler as a result. Ahhhh!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to hear of a break in temperatures and that it is happening when you seem to have a busy time of it in the next while. Have a great time with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rubia does look frail. How old is she?

    I'll be venturing into the pool, shivering all the way today, to remove the pool steps. I have to lift the 40lb weight up to the deck, no problem in the water until I get shoulder high. Fortunately the rest of the way will be helped by DH, as long as he doesn't topple in! It's suddenly going into the 70's at day and 60's at night which means no more warm water. Today it's 82. Once the water hits the low 70's the chemicals don't work well, so we'll be closing it in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness when the seasons change, they change rather suddenly, don't they? Especially when you're tending something that needs tending, like a pool!

      Rubia is only 8 years old. The vet calls her geriatric. And part of that has to be her "indoor/outdoor" cathood. I read somewhere that 8 is the average life expectancy for cats that go outdoors. The Prisoner is 12, and looks far more robust and healthy than Rubia.

      Delete
    2. I became an REI member when I purchased the new cycling shoes and they have classes and outdoorsy stuff, of course, they have a basics of kayaking class that I can’t get out of my head. I keep thinking, if someone asks me what I want for my birthday (next month) I’ll ask for the class fee. They provide all the equipment… my nerves are what’s preventing me from signing up. I’ve never been ON “open water” not sure how I’ll feel not being able to touch the bottom😳
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. PS The whole point of my comment was to say I think of you every time I consider signing up for the class πŸ€—

      Delete
    4. Kayaks are easy, Dee! Wish you were out here, I'd take you on a rental paddle on our "tamest" lake, which is where the full moon paddle will be on Wednesday. They only get tricky when the water you're on is tricky! But isn't that true of boating in general? But you conquered swim lessons... you can put on a life jacket and kayak in short order!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...