Thursday, August 3, 2023

August already: Rubia Update

 

Rubia has chosen her "den", in a corner between the bookcase and an end table, and there she hides, safe from being disturbed by me or her brother.  Clearly she feels safe there.

I've been working at brushing her, to get the burrs out.  I give her breaks between sessions.  I dosed her and also The Prisoner with their regular monthly pest control "stuff".  

I have noticed as she's been home longer that she seems older than she did two weeks ago.  She seems frailer.  I can feel her spine.  She's light when I lift her.  Of course, some of that is being away from her regular food source, but not being willing / able to leap up to the tabletop or the counter and demand running water from the tap is part of this "seems frail".

So I baby talk to her, offer fresh water, food is always out.  The Prisoner has kept up his choice of being outdoors most of the time.  Rubia has yet to decide to leave the confines of the house since returning, and to be honest she had been more apt to choose to stay in even before her escapades.

I took a brief walk Tuesday morning, to see if I could last 15 minutes of steady movement (plotting ahead for the return to the trainer on Thursday).  Wednesday morning I went a little longer.  

Walking gives me "ponder" time, and I was pondering over the senses, specifically vision and hearing.  I was thinking about how totally subjective they are.  They can measure things in your eyes and ears but what really counts is how your brain interprets the signals.  I thought about this as my vision in my worse cataract eye adjusted to walking... moving into "motion sensor" mode, and adjusting to be the "helper" eye to the one with the less severe cataract.

Ears are helped by context, in the interpretation of speech, just as eyes are helped by it in reading.  

Based on these "test walks" I decided I was good to go work out with the trainer on Thursday.  He dropped the weights a shade, as I had missed three workouts in a row.  But it felt good to be back!

Life is good.  Spark on!

16 comments:

  1. Well, glad that Rubia feels safe in her spot. Could she have gotten an injury during her outdoor adventure?

    Good that you deem yourself ready for the work out w/your trainer.

    It is amazing to me how the senses lear to accomodate when there are challenges, like cataracts!

    Here's to a good day.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possible, of course. Careful observation is the order for now.

      Delete
  2. Poor Kitty! She looks haggard! We all need a safe spot, glad she found hers.😿🐟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. She's getting a little braver every day, which is a good sign.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that she's home. She probably feels safe because she was gone so long or maybe an injury from the adventures. Inside feels safer for her because she went through things out and about.

    It's a good thing that you're doing everything to make things better for yourself.

    Have a great day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing can sneak up on her in her safe spot and her adventures made that necessary I am sure. Huge hugs for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. She is getting braver, day by day. Thursday evening she went outside again for the first time. I'm trying to unobtrusively observe to see if there is an injury, or I'm also thinking back to "before" the adventure she was starting to have trouble with big jumps, so maybe it's more a long term thing.

      Delete
  5. Rubia is contently resting with the knowledge that you will care/provide for her….her latest adventure must have been a doozy! Hopefully, she will soon regain her energy and strength.
    Good news that your stamina has returned after the RSV!
    I have been on a week’s break from my daily 4-5 mile walk as I tripped on a 2” difference between sidewalk squares and face planted. Bruised face, battered, and a concussion BUT nothing broken…
    I intend to test the waters tomorrow. Hope your trainer workout was just what you needed! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Having been there, ((( hugs )))! Be gentle with yourself as you adjust and heal!

      Delete
  6. I feel sorry for your kitty, and you. Perhaps she ventured a bit farther away and struggled to find her way home, maybe in peril? Have you noticed any scratches or puncture wounds on her? Just like any other runaway, you find the wide world is not what you expected! Your gentle ministrations should give her that sense of peace; she seems like she's still in 'fight or flight' mode.

    I'm also glad you are feeling better! So am I, blog coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's slowly regaining her confidence. Every day I handle her, brush her, make sure she has what she needs and she shows her appreciation in her own little kitty way.

      Now you've piqued my interest... gotta go find the new blog when it arrives!

      Delete
  7. Maybe Rubia is developing cataracts and so has a problem judging distances. Also an ear problem can make balance an issue. You've mentioned she has burrs, have her ears been checked? Sometimes various kinds of vegetable matter can work their way down into the ears causing issues.

    She definitely looks like she has lost weight so maybe she has to readjust to the better diet she is getting now.

    I hope she recovers well. Just like people, it sometimes takes twice as long to recover as we think it should.

    I think you are doing well with having food and water and a safe place to nest available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's getting better day by day, but she's definitely got something not quite right in her hind quarters... it's not balance, it seems to be muscular.

      Delete
  8. I had a catastrophe happen in our bathroom, the day I was done medicating for the ear infection and spent the rest of the week cleaning. Worn out and dizzy (vertigo-y) I thought, why would the ear and its tiny little parts be responsible for our equilibrium?!
    Still felt off on the bike ride (cycle class) this morning, but I know it’ll get better.
    I hope we all (Rubia included) get back to our normals soon.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((( hugs )))) Amen to that hope that we all return to normal functioning selves!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...