Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Surviving the Heat Wave


The weatherman is giving us a scorcher of a week.  Seems we are under a "high pressure ridge" which will keep the remnants of Hurricane Hillary to our north, so no benefit in terms of rain for the next week or so.  Monday is the first of four days in a row predicted to top the 100 degree mark (F, of course).  The last time I remember a week like this was the summer Dad took us camping... I'm thinking 1963?  We drove up to Colorado, where in Lima they apologized for the heat (it was 90) and we said, "That's OK, it's 110 back in Lincoln, Nebraska."  And our '63 Rambler American did NOT have AC (neither did our house, back home).

On that trip, we encountered the concept of flash floods in the mountains.  Big Thompson canyon is known for them, but we first saw them at the foot of Pike's Peak.  That was one camping trip.  We begged Daddy to stop at a motel the next night, and he did, in Estes Park.

Colorado is an amazingly beautiful state.  But on that particular trip, I think we kids at least were "over it" by then.

Back to the present day:  Monday's eye appointment

I saw my regular dude that prescribes my glasses.  He did an exam of the eye that had the cataract removed, not paying much attention to the other one.  He tested my vision on just that side, shined a light and looked at its innards, and pronounced it healing just as it should.  He said they cannot prescribe new lenses until 3-4 weeks post-surgery, and we made an appointment for September 11th to do that bit.

He said I might expect to continue to see the floaters that are an aftereffect of medication for a couple more weeks, and that my vision could both improve and deteriorate during the next few weeks.  This is all normal.  So onward!

My older sister has agreed to drive me that day, since they plan to dilate my eyes.  So all ducks in a row for that next chapter.

Tuesday I can go back to the trainer

I have no restrictions on activity, but I expect I'll be doing a gentle re-intro workout. I'm looking forward to my warm-up on the elliptical, watching the activity across the street, with two eyes that see!

I did put on my "auto-hanky" (a.k.a. cloth mask) for my workout.  My nose was feeling a bit drippy, and I was prepared to work out sans glasses that way.  I enjoyed reading signs across the road without them.

Look who's out of her under-couch cave!

Rubia came up the stairs to greet me when I emerged from my bedroom for the day on Tuesday.  She's moving slow, but she's moving.  Monday I had got out the wet cat food to tempt her out.  Each morning I've been refilling the water dish, and that brings her out for a bit, too.  Little dear, still frail, but improving, and able to live as a geriatric cat as long as I don't disturb her routine too much (like having other people here, or heaven forbid, Carl).

Speaking of Carl... the plan is to meet him and his paw-rents at the dog bar this evening.  Give me my canine fix, not just Carl but all his furry friends, too.

Life is good.  Spark on!

14 comments:

  1. OH heavens! Barb, you are much warmer than us. We are under a heat warning tomorrow and heat watch for Thursday. Cooling off by the weekend. Stay hydrated.

    Glad that all is healing from your cataract surgery.

    Awwwww, glad Rubia is coming out and she’s improving.

    Have a great time w/Carl’s paw-rents! Just the thing for a dog fix, right!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just our turn for the heat. And it's all "relative" anyway, based on what's normal where one lives.

      Life is just happier when the pets are doing well, isn't it?

      Delete

  2. This is from Accuweather. Ugh!! Cooler weather starting Sunday.
    Current Weather 2:05 PM 93°F Partly sunny
    RealFeel® 126° RealFeel Shade™ 116°

    Glad that you are healing properly. Masking is a good idea. Covid rates are on the rise here.

    Poor kitty! How heartbreaking! Hope she's back to normal soon.

    Stay cool. Stay safe. 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes for my little Rubia. Yikes: real feel of 126? That's higher that our "feels like" which is only about 116 at the moment, according to my phone. The temperature is 103F. .

      Echoing that "stay safe and stay cool" back to you.

      Delete
  3. That's some heat! I wish I could take a bit of that. We're in a cooler slump and the high 70's and low 80's in the daytime and in the mid 60's at night.
    Rubia has pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our cool snap a week ago, and it was refreshing. We knew the heat would come back. We'll get another little break over the weekend, it says. Stairsteps down to the Autumn.

      Delete
  4. We experienced some of the fringes of Hilary here in NE Montana. We had rain starting Sunday afternoon and Monday was pretty rainy until mid-afternoon, so things were dampened down pretty well. Temperatures were in the 60'sF. Today it hit 90F which is supposed to be our high for a couple of days, a couple of cooler days and then back into the 90'sF. Maybe some thunderstorms for a few days So far it's been cooling off pretty well at night, even on our hotter days.

    We've been pretty blessed compared to most of the rest of the country with having a pretty mild summer. The only bad part has been the haze/smoke coming in from everywhere (mostly Canada) since May. Even the wind hasn't been too bad most days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has to be SOME advantage to someone somewhere, doesn't there? Otherwise, we wouldn't have that old saw about an ill wind blowing NOBODY good.

      I am counting my blessings that we had a break from the drought (still in moderate drought range, and it might tick up in severity with this current week).

      Delete
  5. I don't remember anything about the flood, but was alive then. They still talk about it every time it floods somewhere.

    The heat is crazy here too, but no 100's yet. We did break a record today at 99 though. We're going to get cooler over the weekend because of the Hurricane in Texas. We'll get some rain from that and that'll help with the heat.

    I'm glad Rubia is being more sociable with you. Hopefully she's going to settle right back into her normal.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Colorado to reach over 100 is VERY rare, I'm thinking. We tied the local record yesterday, at 103*F.

      The big and deadly flash flood of the Big Thompson canyon wasn't for another 13 years after our camping trip, but remembering what it was like at the foot of Pike's Peak for us of course brought those particular news stories closer to home. Funny how when you've been somewhere it has more impact, just as when the hurricane took out the roller coaster at Seaside Heights, New Jersey... much more recently, but it was a place my husband took me, so it hit hard, even while I was living way out here, in land-locked Nebraska.

      Keep cool and take it easy in the heat! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  6. We got lucky (and we are SO grateful for it) Hillary was downgraded to a tropical storm, but completely bypassed us. We just had a rainy day on Sunday. We aren’t in a flood zone or mudslide area either. I just hope this doesn’t make people less likely to prepare for “the next one”.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were spared! And you're right... being prepared for whatever comes next is not to be neglected, even while exclaiming "whew, that was close"!

      (( hugs ))

      Delete
  7. Rubia is looking better! Good to see! ~Ace

    ReplyDelete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...