Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Seasons change so quickly of late.

 

This nest has served its purpose, and the birds have all flown.

One ankle was being stubborn this morning, but it warmed up during my workout with the trainer.

Kayak under the (almost) full moon was Tuesday evening.  


The moon was to rise at 7:46 p.m., and the sun to set at 8:04 p.m.  We paddled West first, and watched the sunset before we even noticed the pale moon rising.

It was warm but not hot, a cooling off of a summer evening.  The lake water was cool but not cold when it dripped on my legs or arms from the paddle.  The black flies were biting.  I had put on bug spray but not under my socks and when I took off my socks and shoes to get out on the water... guess where the flies decided to feast?

There is something so peaceful about getting out in a Summer evening, as the season is nearing its end.  I've always loved the late Summer days.


The ducks were in some cases as precise as the Blue Angels that flew in the air show last weekend.  And in others a little more ragged.  But they didn't make as much noise at the jets!

We paddled back to the East to watch the moon rising.  

I snapped my friend Geri in her kayak. 

It is a blue super moon, and the little phone photos do not do it justice... it looked huge to the naked eye.  

I caught a couple walking over the pedestrian bridge, capturing the reflection of moonlight on the water, too.

Floating under the bridge, this is not the best shot, but I kind of liked the rail spindle splitting the moon.

As it got darker, the moon got more orange, and eventually we paddled back to shore and walked back to our cars and proceeded home.  When I got home, I took one last shot of the moon.  Ahhhhh!

Life is good.

Spark on!






15 comments:

  1. What a lovely night you had out on the water. There are so many beautiful and peaceful pictures that you took.

    I feel like we have a bird zoo when spring and summer hit. We have different bird families in the front and back yard. It's so wonderful when you hear the babies chirping.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so peaceful last night. Love that you have a aviary yard... birdsong is one of the joys of life!

      (( Hugs back ))

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Looks like a wonderful peaceful time (inspite of the black flies)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You would love it! And of course I have to laugh at the young men who want to help me get in and out, but I really do need to figure that puzzle out for myself. Every time!

      I'm feeling every day of my age this morning, but it was so worth it!

      Delete
  4. Enjoying Nature at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Barb…love the pictures!! Sounds like it was a spectacular activity! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been out on the water in several weeks, and the opportunities are reducing as Autumn barrels down at us. So this was a real treat.

      Delete
  6. What great pictures of the moon! Such a lovely blue moon! HUGE and so bright.

    Was walking w/Miss Lilly this morning and the brightness of the moon really lit up the walk. That’s a good thing.

    Those black flies sound horrible! It has really been a weird season. We don’t have black flies but do have mosquitoes . . . . usually. Nothing @ present, which is very unusual, but probably due to it being so dry.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to "forget" about once a year, and get bit up by those silly flies, but it's a minor nuisance and not worth missing the outing for. Ahhhh!

      Extra pats for Miss Lilly... enjoy your walks!

      Delete
  7. I got the all clear from the Chiro to sign up for the kayak class, but I have SO many questions. I’m going to attend a Grand Opening of the REI closest to the marina of where the classes are taught(9/8), hopefully someone there can answer my questions and possibly offer a discount πŸ˜‰
    Thanks for taking me on your outing (I live this adventure vicariously through you).
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed coming along for the ride. It was such a peaceful outing, such a good "close for the Summer" kind of paddle. I really hope that you get the answers you need to help you decide on the class!

      Delete
    2. I’m sure it’s going to be like one of those workouts you really didn’t want to do, but feel amazing after its done, kinda thing😁

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...