Thursday, August 17, 2023

The joy in watching Grogu

One of the most amazing differences of the past day or so.. I can read the subtitles from across the room!  And they are sharp, as is the TV image.  Since my son installed / logged in to his Disney Plus membership on my one TV, I'm catching up on season 3 of The Mandalorian, and who doesn't love a baby "Yoda" (even though his name is Grogu)?

Also part of my "taking it easy" time has been re-watching The Red Violin.  This would be the third time.  The first time I think I rented it from Blockbuster?  I don't know but it seems like forever ago.  I remember loving it as it went from the audio being in Italian, to German, to French, to English, to some Chinese language, and back, in the end to English, while the mystery of this specific instrument is intertwined with a Tarot card reading giving to the pregnant wife of the maker, before the violin was varnished.  As it turned out, she died in childbirth, and the grieving violin maker added her blood to the varnish.

The Tarot card reading told not the wife's future, but the future of the violin that carried her blood in its varnish.  Each viewing one notices something different.  It is time-sliced between the origin of the violin, slices of its history across multiple owners and players, and the current day when it is being auctioned off.  The ending has a fitting twist to it.

Wednesday marked 48 hours since the cataract surgery and I felt pretty normal.  I still was to put the eye guard on at night, but I walked with my sis on that hot afternoon, and took a careful shower before brushing my teeth after supper.  I left the Thursday workout off the calendar, though, which should make my first gym workout back on Tuesday, after I see the eyeglasses guy on Monday.

Thursday morning I let myself sleep a little later, "catching up" as is my habit when I've had a choppy sleep week.  

I have to state outright that I love having secure (supposedly) online access to medical records.  Thanks to this, I have already had access to my surgeon's report of my cataract procedure from Monday.  Technology is wonderful... when it works.  Last week I reported my distrust of some of the automotive enhancements, but I know that surgery has been enhanced a lot, too, to be more accurate, to reduce risks.

Thursday has also brought on my first trip behind the wheel since surgery.  Awesome!  I did my little close alternate eyes while stopped at a light and assess.  Yes, there is some blurriness on the right side when wearing my glasses... but it is so superior to what it was like having that cataract in the way as to be miraculous.  And the two eyes together, yes, I'm confident driving.  I expect when I see the eye guy on Monday he'll step down the distance prescription on that side.

I needed to fill Dexter's tank to take advantage of expiring fuel savings... and whup, it stopped at 4.49 gallons.  My 60 cents a gallon only saved me $2.80.  But $2.80 is a cup of coffee, so, there's that!

I went on over to the grocery store and filled in my list.  I found out they had actually got the dishwasher detergent brand I liked back at the beginning of the pandemic (they had not carried it before), and it was 30 more washes for 60 cents.  Hey, don't we all love a bargain?  This was a brand I knew and had tried and liked. I was not even taking a huge chance.

As I pulled my cart up to the checkout... I was behind the local firefighters.  Chiseled young men... and the checkers were making a big deal over them and taking selfies and all that.  In fact, the fire department guys often go here for their groceries (and there was a great special on chicken breasts, which seemed to be a lot of what they had on the belt).  Took me right back to when my son went into the military, and I suddenly didn't have to feed him.  My grocery bill dropped by about 66%.

My kid sis has talked me into going to the Barbie movie, which I had been prevented from seeing by the side-tracking RSV and surgery.  As a consequence, Saturday morning I will get my update on cultural references from this movie, and Alicia will see it for the fourth time.  Kind of reminds me of my reaction to seeing Apollo 13, and years prior to that, to The Sting.  Find someone who hasn't seen it to drag along and see it again!  I'm sure you all have specific movies that had this effect on you!

The process of going to the movies has been changed since the pandemic.  It was already changing before that with online tickets and such.  It's been about a year since I went to a movie in a theater, but the website remembers me from the last time I bought tickets online... so greeted me with "Welcome Back" message.

Now it's time to go do laundry.  Recovery keeps on keeping on.  Here's wishing you all a fine ending to the week!

Life is good!  Spark on.





12 comments:

  1. All smiles here from your descriptions!
    I'm glad your enhanced sight was able to work on the firefighter, too!

    Movies that I refer to? Blazing Saddles.
    'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I have never seen Blazing Saddles? Nor have I ever seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show... my education in cultural references needs to be updated to include those, too.

      Delete
    2. The heck you say! “We need to have a film festival for Barb,” DH says. ~Ace

      Delete
    3. Or at the very least a list to quiz over "have you seen this one? It's a classic." Beetlejuice is another I have never seen. I should clarify, never seen any of these all the way through... I might have caught a clip or two from time to time over the years.

      Delete
  2. Nothing but positive reviews of your surgery. Awesome!! Sounds like your routines are returning to normal. Did the surgery bring those firefighters into better focus? 😆 The movie for me would be "Close Encounters". I can recite much of the dialogue from memory. When Roy lined up to make the trip, I wanted (still would) to make the trip, too.

    Take it easy as you continue to heal. 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am, I could see every sculpted muscle and all the dimples. Youth looks so good on the young, doesn't it?

      OMG, Close Encounters is a great movie!

      And I will follow your advice about taking it easy. It's a wise tip!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you're doing well after your surgery. I love being able to go online and check everything out with Kaiser.

    My sister wanted to go to the Barbie movie, but I have no desire to see it.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kid sis is one of those people... she's so excited about something it makes me enjoy it just to see her light up within! She even makes me enjoy shopping for clothing... which those who know me well would shake their heads over. So... I will go to the Barbie movie not so much because it appeals to me (hated that the Barbie doll "stole" my name, hated it even more when people not my nuclear family started calling me "Barbie" because of the doll, etc.) but because I know darn well she will bubble with references to the movie and I want to appreciate them.

      LOL... it's all about family and love, in the end!

      Have a great Friday and weekend ahead!

      Delete
  4. I remember how clear and crisp things were after my cataract surgeries! Still is, thankfully.

    I remember the Red Violin. Thought provoking movie.

    Glad that your first driving post surgery went well.

    Hope you and sis enjoy the Barbie movie. Haven’t seen it yet, but it is coming to our local theater. Unusual, as this theater generally does not have first – run movies.

    Here’s to a good weekend.
    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankful... I hope my remains as clear as yours has. Already when I do my personal comparison tests between the two eyes, I can tell the difference in not just clarity but brightness. Cataracts draw a curtain over the world. (The second eye does have a cataract, it's just not as severe as the one I had done, and they don't like to do it until it's "ripe", and as long as I can still be helped by refraction, that's what the plan is.)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great recovery and busy, busy too. I am kinda playing catch up myself now.

    ReplyDelete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...