Monday, September 23, 2024

A tale of the dog-swap


Carl stayed in his vest the whole time at my house.  Mainly a sign of laziness on my own part, not due to need.

The kids let Ember out of her harness, and the kids figured out how to put it back on her.  The Easy Walk harness confuses some folks, but they got it right.

Carl was a good boy the whole time.  He barked at the squirrels, he played with Ember's toys, he got petted and cossetted by his Grandma, who tried out several of Ember's training games on him.  He was an outstanding student.  Good boy, Carl!


While Carl was here, I boiled eggs, just as I would have done if I had Ember with me.  Carl likes a nibble of eggshell when I peel them, too, just as she does.  I don't give either of them very much, just enough to be a little treat for them.

DIL brought me kolache from her grandmother's birthday celebration the day before.  This became my mid-morning snack.
Carl sacked out on my bed.  He's such a lover!  If I put Ember in my bedroom, this would not happen!  She would be going after all the human things that to Carl are just "white noise", nothing to do with him.


Ember, home after a tiring, but exciting day.

Carl and I arrived at the kids' place right about 3 p.m.  The two dogs proceeded to wear one another out in their back yard.  The respite foster boy arrived about 3:30 p.m.  He was ecstatic to find there were TWO dogs to play with and he proceeded to the back yard to play chase with them both.

Ember and I didn't stay long after that, because I wanted to make sure we left while everybody was still in polite/good moods.

This was confirmed by the report from DIL that the boy asked if Ember would come back to play during his week-long stay.

When we got home, Ember ate all her dinner, and crated up without complaint.

Life is good.  Spark on!

7 comments:

  1. Yah that it was a good time w/Carl! OMG! Kolachke . . . sooooo good. My Grandmother used to make those.

    AND . . . sounds like Ember was on good behavior for DS and DIL! Yeah. Hope they have a good time of it w/the respite care for the little boy.

    Hugs and blessings
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This should be an interesting visit. He has school all week. And swimming lessons on Monday night. It's a good thing "the kids" are younger than I.

      Delete
  2. Nice that it all worked out. What kid doesn't like dogs? Much less 2 of them. 🐢🐢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! And he already met Carl on his last visit. Not all six-year-olds are "good with dogs" but this one is. He seems to be a natural. My daughter in law posted a video of his playing ball with Carl late this afternoon, and his skills with both reading the dog's body language and using his own body language to communicate with the dog were very evident.

      Delete
  3. Love your T-shirt quilt! At this point I’ve had about 6 made out of my ride shirts - they represent very expensive mementos…
    Dr B had a whole hilarious routine about how endurance riders would “trade-up” $50 T-shirts for jackets or vests (which are our regional & national awards)
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, during my years of eventing I have had four of those "quilts" made, and two of them live on my big bed to keep me warm, whatever the season.

      I'll bet that "trade up" routine is a blast!

      Delete

I did say I have a digger on my hands

  Ember's latest efforts, from Thursday morning.  She had started on this hole Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe even before that.  But as of ...