Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Meanwhile, across town

The kids had a new respite foster visit over the weekend.  This was a different six-year-old boy from the last respite visit. It was a shorter weekend; in that two birth family visits had been scheduled for the boy. 

From the photos (that I cannot share), it looks like a fine time was had by all.  By Sunday, the youngster had started to call my son "Dad".

In the hours and couple of days after the visit, son and DIL were approached about their willingness to take this child for a longer time.  Since this would involve separating siblings into separate placements, there are some foster system hoops to be jumped through before the whole plan can be approved, but they have been approved to provide respite for the week of Sunday the 22nd to Friday morning the 27th.

On Sunday the 22nd, we have plans to do a "dog swap", from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  We'll meet at a dog-park, let them play together, then I'll bring grand-dog Carl home with me, and Ember will go home with my son and daughter in law.

Their foster respite child will be arriving around 3:30 p.m.  I will deliver Carl back to them at their house, meet the foster kiddo, and collect Ember.  That's the current plan, anyway.  Then they will have their week as parents to a school child during his school week.

At the end of that week, on Friday morning, I will take on Carl and have a two-dog household for three days while "the kids" and DIL's parents go to a family wedding a state away.  Wish me luck, everyone!

Wednesday's happenings

It was dental appointment day for me on Wednesday.  Pronounced as stable.  Heard about dentist's husband's upcoming run of the New York City Marathon.  I have been living vicariously on her reports of his running for five years now.  

I also learned that my periodontist will be retiring and closing up shop next March.  I have an appointment with her in February, so I'll have my last visit with her then.  The general plan is to transition to just the general dentist (the one with the marathon running hubby) but keep the 5-month cleaning rotation.

Ember has recovered from the runny poos and was full of herself today.  She attacked behind the A/C, stripping off some of the early repairs I paid for in her youngest puppy days.  I had been blocking the access with garbage cans for a while, then she seemed to be ignoring it as "white noise" for a while, and suddenly, the past couple of days... it's back on her radar.

The second thing she went after was a conduit that held cable

and telephone wires going up the side of the house!  Both photos show after repairs were attempted by the homeowner, with assistance from my sister.  Sometimes the blessing is in the timing.  I had Alicia here, managed to get Ember into her crate, and the two women went out and assessed the damage and did what we could.  I believe those cables (the box says "telco access only") are now unused.  I don't have cable, but the wire is still there.  I don't have a house phone, but the wires are still there.


The third "something always happening" looks like I have a leak, possibly related to the underground sprinklers that I just had "fixed" this year.  That puddle seems to be getting bigger, and not just at the times the sprinklers actually run.  It has grown since my sister's visit that ended before 5 p.m.  Photo taken in the 7:30 p.m. time frame.  

I'm not even sure who to call.  I have the appliance repair guy arriving Thursday between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.  Perhaps their technician will identify whether I need to also call a plumber, as well as whether the dishwasher needs to be replaced.  Just when I was financially recovering from all the "upgrades".  Sigh.  I might also need to call the landscape guys who did the sprinkler system repairs.

Whatever the details, the saga of home ownership continues.  And the saga of pet ownership, too.

Ember got a nice little leash walk after I got home from the dentist.  She was so good for it!  Yes, we stopped and let her chew on a fallen branch for a while, long enough for her to get bored with it and be ready to move on.  I truly love the lazy walks, where I don't feel the need to rush her along.  I get to find out what interests her.

Here she is with her favorite tug toy, the hose.  She knows the hose has to stay outside while the puppy may come inside the house.  But every morning when we go out, she picks up that end of the hose and proudly pulls it to wherever she's going.

Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!

11 comments:

  1. ALICIA363
    Yikes on that water puddle growing! Glad you got a picture in case the potential rain may interfere with diagnosing. “Oh, John Henry!” was my first thought (a local plumbing repair outfit, for those who don’t know - it was their commercial jingle for a while back in the day, like a lady calling a kid in from playing outside).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes indeed. I called Woody's, who did the lawn sprinkler work, to have them come take a look and see if Ember "shook something loose" in her adventures on Wednesday. I have resorted to putting her on leash in the backyard, even for potty trips, because of all this, the A/C and the phone wires.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness! It does sound like the respite visit for that young boy went well. Must have melted your son’s heart to be called Dad. Since that young boy felt so at home, it’s good that they can provide the longer term respite visit he needs. Awesome. Sad to see him separated from his siblings, though.

    Hmmmm . . . just curious why the dog swap. But hope all works out.

    Ohhhhh boy. You’ll have your hands full w/Carl and Ember, but . . . maybe Carl will be a good influence on Ember!

    Safes travels for the trip to the family wedding.

    How awesome that you had a good check up. And good luck to the dentist @ the Boston Marathon. Hope that the every 5 mth. cleaning rotation does the trick. Had a similar situation here and DH goes for a cleaning every 4 mths. and so far, so good (going on 4 yrs.).

    Argh on the attack on the A/C again! Glad you and Alicia were able to fix the damage to the couduit that held cable and telephone wires.

    **SIGH** and the sprinkler rearing it’s head w/problems again. All I can say is good luck.

    With Niss Lilly and her Dr. visits and emergency surgeries the $$$ saved has been hemorrhaging from the account. Oh well. She’s worth it. Just hope it all ends!

    Well here’s hoping that Thursday is a good day in Emberville!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes: the dog swap is a bonding opportunity for my son and Ember. She hasn't been away from me for very long ever since she came to me at Easter. Son kind of wants that one-on-one time with her, apart from any potential Carl jealousy. As for me, I welcome some re-bonding time with Carl, making sure he's up for this visit at Grandma's where another dog lives full time!

      I've been on the 5 month rotation for going on two years. I was on 4 month rotation for a few years before that, and on a 3 month rotation when I first had planing and root scaling done (so long ago I've forgotten what year it was, but it was pre-divorce, I think?)

      These financial "emergencies" have to be taken in stride, don't they? I ordered a third X-Pen so I can fence in the A/C unit and its connectors!

      Delete
  3. Is it possible that Ember bit some holes into the hose and it leaked with water left in the tubing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. The puddle has continued to grow into this morning.

      Delete
    2. Although it is possible that both things are true. Some hose leaking plus the sprinkler control leaking.

      Delete
  4. Blessings for DS and wife. Love and hugs can be magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with most foster situations, things can be complicated. I pray for them every day.

      Delete
  5. PHOENIX1949

    Got this quote from a former high-school classmate this morning in her updated profile on our site:

    "The saying that life is one da_n thing after another is understated, because those da_n things overlap!"

    Going in circles here trying to coordinate cancer-related items, cataract surgery, finding a new dentist, lining up a plumber, electrician, roofer and tree trimmer near the top of my list along with scheduling maintenance appointments for 'stuff' the prevent more expensive visits down the line . Duct tape and long extension cords are temporary fixes.

    Hope the water puddle is an easy fix.

    HOT, HOT, HOT here with rampant ragweed in the air. Yikes! Sunday I'm scheduled for my Flu & Covid vaccines.

    Keep on, keeping on.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what your classmate said... so true, isn't it?

      Susan, what a platter (bigger than a plate) full you've got there! Got my flu shot today (Thursday). Next up on the shots will be Prevnar 20, then Covid update. I had my last Covid shot in May, along with the RSV one, so it rotates to the end of the series. I asked which order I should take them in, and this is how it fell out.

      Good luck with your Sunday combination. Medicalizing is a big part of being a senior, as seems is home maintenance!

      Delete

Manipulating the environment

Did I mention that trying to "manipulate the environment" so that Ember doesn't rehearse undesirable behaviors has caused me t...