Saturday, September 21, 2024

So much for the flirt pole

 

Ember managed to wriggle her way into the pantry bathroom Friday morning.  That's where I store her toys that are out of rotation, among other things.  She was intent on destroying an 8 pack of paper towels, though.  I sacrificed the flirt pole.  I didn't intend to do this; I only intended to distract her and get her away from the paper towels.

Sigh.  She grabbed it by the pole, not the flirty lure, and ran off with it.  The photo is her gnawing on the human grip, which she made short work of in the first five minutes.  I did rescue the paper towels and the TP, which were both still in their plastic wrap.

Friday turned into a challenge day with my highly energetic too smart for her own good pup!  She has continued her assault of the A/C insulation and the leftover cable wires.

See the shiny silver parts of the coax cable she has been stripping?  Yeah.  Those sharp things in her mouth are wire cutters.
















I don't know if you can see the insulation fragments on the ground in the photo.

A new X-Pen is supposed to arrive next week.  Meanwhile, I don't want to call out the HVAC folks to replace the insulation until it gets here.  Or if something she does breaks it down!

I have been taking her out on leash but dropping my end of the leash at times to do things like pick up her poo.  Ember seems to take advantage of every chance to chew on something that she should not.

During puppy nap #1, I went out to the hardware store to purchase the longer staples, then stopped on the way back to get my hair cut.  It was driving me nuts! 

Saturday morning it's looking as though we have a similarly challenging day ahead.  The hours before sunrise are the most challenging by far.


Well!  Saturday morning, I got her outside to pee and poo, and then we were inside trying to keep her occupied until it would get light enough to toss the balls to chase in the back yard.  I fed her breakfast, then started trying a few training exercises, which is what I usually do during this waiting for the sun to rise time frame.  

In this process, I opened up the gate to the family room.  I was thinking that we could continue to train developing hot zones in that room.

She went all excited puppy on me, and when she even calmed a little it was to work on stripping the fixes off the leather couch.  I put her leash on and got her back out of the room.  Then as I was trying to put the gate back up, she broke the sliding door to the basement!  Yikes!  That's where the laundry room, i.e. the cat's area is.  


Pandemonium ensued.  I managed to rescue at least part of the cat's food and to close the laundry room door.  Then Ember was loose in this big open room full of "stuff".  She found my triathlon gear, CD's and cases for CD's, the photo box, well, imagine your own "junk room".  And I am at the top of the stairs staring at the broken door.  I enticed Ember into her X-Pen while I taped the door back together, but you know she's eventually going to strip that tape off.

We have made it (somehow) past the pandemonium and fed me some breakfast.  Ember is in her crate for Puppy nap #1 of Saturday.  I am heading out to the grocery store for blueberries.  Pray for us here in Emberville.  It was named after Hurricane Ember, after all.

Oh, but the good news in all this?  It's been a week since the last time I had to put on a bandage for a new tooth induced wound.

Life is good.  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my! Ember is in destruct-o mode. *SIGH* Wish I had suggestions for you! *SIGH*

    At least that’s a victory – a week w/o new tooth induced wounds! That’s a good thing.

    Hugs and good luck and prayers

    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be the "land-shark" phase of lab puppy. But yes, celebrating that several of my scabs have come off, although the bruises are still abundant.

      I forewarned the kids of all her behaviors, and they are still up for tomorrow's swap, although the details might change depending on how rainy it ends up being in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Ember doesn’t miss an opportunity, does she?! What an active and spirited girl…you are a trooper to even attempt full-blown puppyhood
    training! Glad you haven’t been accidentally bitten this week! Carry on…you will have one well-trained furbaby before long! Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how fast the past six months have flown by, "before long" could be half a year away, but it will still be "before long". Meanwhile, I have only myself to blame for not puppy-proofing better... I knew this day would come. With a dog of the size and strength I'm raising, it's a good thing she has a pretty decent temperament!

      We're working now with tug toys that have a clearly identified "dog" end and "human" end. If her mouth goes anywhere on the human end, I drop the toy, announce "game over", "mommy can't play if you don't give her the human end". And as soon as I get the opportunity, the toy goes away for a while.

      Delete
  3. PHOENIX1949

    Oh my, oh my! Consulted my friend 'Google' as to when labs stop chewing. Good luck. Your vigilance and training techniques seem to be on point. Ms. Ember is a very strong-willed lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two to three years, right? Ember is not my first time with a puppy, but she is the first lab puppy I've had... so it's been a learning curve!

      Delete
  4. Miss Ember is in full puppy destruction mode. Hopefully this behavior will stop soon. I know if anyone can get her under control its you.

    Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If anybody"... sigh. I would not bet against my son, though, and he gets her for the day on Sunday. I'm thinking the distraction of "new people" will help.

      Delete
  5. ALICIA363
    Google is very informative...
    “By 3 years old, she will have quieted down. In the meantime, get her the soft and medium kong toys and a few fluffy toys to destroy.”
    “Chew till they're two; shed till they're dead."
    Hang in there. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Fingers crossed for the great dog swap today! Ember is down for puppy nap #1, after surviving the pre-dawn hours and taking comfort in routine to get to this point. She's tearing the carpet on the basement stairs and floor, but I turn off the lights, leave the area, and eventually she decides she would rather come upstairs and join me.

      Delete
  6. Ai yi yi! I got nuthin’ - although if you could train her to a treadmill, maybe 2-3 hrs of exercise/day would help?? I warn many of my clients with active herding breeds (Border collies & healers, for instance) that they cannot give these dogs too much exercise!
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do work at getting her both outdoor walks (reward zone, i.e. heel position) and ball-chase games, and indoor mental exercise games (hot zone). But you know, she gets more when running around with Carl, for sure.

      Delete

I did say I have a digger on my hands

  Ember's latest efforts, from Thursday morning.  She had started on this hole Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe even before that.  But as of ...