Saturday, November 20, 2021

I like quiet birthdays

No drama.  Greetings mostly on-line.  A quick visit from the kids.  And the grand-dog.  Presents not needed, but when they show up anyway, they should just be small and thoughtful, and preferably consumables so one doesn't have to deal with "stuff".

Here's the haul for this year:  coffee and licorice.  Perfect!

Since the kids were here, I sent the Thanksgiving lendables home with them:  a large table cloth and napkins that go with it, the carving knife and fork (son is not comfy using electric knife), a gravy boat, platter, and serving bowl.  Hee-hee... have I managed to pass the torch.

Carl was a good boy during the visit, and GF got to see the back yard he romps in at Grandma's house.  She even wore her N-95 and came through the house, but our visit was mostly outdoors, as we are being careful for the sake of loved ones at risk.

Son let me know that the coffee was from one of his Army buddies who opened a coffee roasting outlet.  I've had my first mug which is, if one can believe it, DECAF French Roast!  I'd never seen French Roast in a decaf version.  Decent.

About an hour after the dog had departed, I did my usual back deck announcement, in plain English, for the cats (both of whom put on an amusing chase scene when Carl showed up at the back door).  Rubia makes a pretty fluffy tree climber.  Prisoner popped back up from the drain ditch and sniffed carefully before re-entering the house.

For the Ace, no, the kids did not take me up to Gretna for a Kyle Scheele Meale.  I don't really need two slices of pizza smashed into a sandwich OR a Red Bull, now, do I?  But it made for a fun conversation bit to explain to son and GF just how this all came about.  More and more I get dragged into the current day technology, and I kind of "get" how influencers work in the TikTok world now.

The kids headed home and started in on Christmas decorations, maybe?  

They are advertising in their yard who runs the house, the pointer and the bird.  When she first shared this photo and I looked at it through my fuzzy old eyes, I thought... Snoopy and Woodstock have been put into different colors... seriously, it's got that kind of silhouette.

She's also got a dinosaur (Dino, the Sinclair dino) for the yard, and several others.  I truly love this GF's artistic flair and enthusiasm for truly living life!

Speaking of which, that's what we all should be doing, one day at a time, best we can manage with whatever that day brings to us.  Be as honest and kind as we can all manage, this one and only Saturday, November 20, 2021.  Life is good.  Spark on!


17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! Wishing for you the gifts of love, peace, health, and happiness. 🎂 🎈 ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those are the best gifts of all! Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! It sounds like it was a good one with thoughtful gifts.

    The dog and bird is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday and may you have many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you, my Spark friend! Certainly seems like you had a lovely day and got much appreciated consumable gifts and well-wishes! I thought my turkey cooking days were over when we left OH for FL in 2007...gave away my treasured roaster...but, I was wrong LOL..However, This year, we are having a small group for Mexican.😂😂
    Sending wishes for a happy and healthy year! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... that's a good year, isn't it, happy and healthy?!

      Delete
  5. That's my type of birthday too. I love quiet birthdays! Glad you have one just how you like it. ((birthday hugs)) Sorry, I couldn't resist. We Latinos are quite hugging people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual hugs are always welcome, and I got both doggie hugs and son hugs, and a bonus in GF-hugs in real life, too. Everybody's vaccinated, and two of us are boosted, so all good.

      Delete
  6. Yes! Happy Birthday! How great to have such a lovely quiet one and with such super gifts. As well, how great the torch has past on. I am still waiting for that but perhaps soon. Huge Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we did the house walk-thru and the back yard with the little playhouse under the balcony, son talked about Thanksgivings past held in this house. Turns out, GF had asked her mom about a gravy boat and after a multi-day search, they hadn't located hers... I was plan B.

      Delete
  7. It was lovely, thank you. I hope you also get just the birthday you want! Both my trainer and my doctor also have birthdays between now and December 1st!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy day! Like you, I only need the people although I appreciate a good card.
    I like the GF. A keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she is indeed a keeper. I try to keep my nose out of their business (relationship) but she's been a keeper from the start. They just observed two years dating.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday! I like quiet ones too. ❤️
    Mine is so close to Thanksgiving, it didn’t merit a separate celebration and just seemed like an excuse for the family to add a cake to the number if desserts on the table. So I’m not accustomed to productions anyway 😉

    Sounds like you had a good one 🙂

    Agree about the similarity with Snoopy and Woodstock 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November and December are packed with family birthdays: mom and I were three days apart, and never quite made it to Thanksgiving. Then there's my youngest sister and her three children, plus my brother, in December. Yeah, hard to not have them all kind of melt together.

      It was a very satisfying day, thanks.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...