Thursday, November 4, 2021

It's November... a month of contrasts

This is my early birthday present to myself.  Every couple of years I wear out my tea-kettle.  I was pleasantly surprised to find one that didn't cost a lot in RED.  Normally in Nebraska, or at least in my memory... everything red cost more, as we are the "sea of red" state.  It's a whistler, which I like.

Tomorrow will be the 12th anniversary of the Fort Hood terrorist attack, where my son experienced the loss of people with whom he trained.  At the time and for several years after, he described it as the worst day of his life.  Nowadays, only those of us most directly impacted seem to even remember it happened, but since I've retained online contact with several of the "November 5th family", meaning others who were part of those units and their spouses... it has become a day to check up on one another.

Then we get Veteran's Day, honoring all who served, within a week.

In a couple more weeks, we will celebrate Thanksgiving in the US.  I have already promised to lend out my crock-pot to son's GF's family who apparently are planning a large get-together and are running out?  Anyway, I sure don't need the big one... I can cook for myself with the small one.

The water thing?  Ehhhh... working on it.

The trainer took me through a couple of new balance oriented things today.  Yikes.  I giggle apprehensively, as these are not my strong suit.  But I got through it.  One was step ups, but with a medicine ball press up at the top.  The other was just a balance square of foam one side to the other.  He started me out where I am, which is leave the opposite toe tapping lightly on the ground, just focusing the weight on the one leg, then switching to the other side.

Upcoming:  this Sunday will be the 2021 running of the New York City marathon, which touches all five boroughs.  Some of you will remember that Alicia and I went (as spectators) as a memorial to Kevin in 2019.  That was my own last trip before the pandemic set in.  I have downloaded the tracking app, as I have a friend running it this year.

TicTok star Mrs. Space Cadet is also running it and her post today let us know that 1) packets must be picked up in person, 2) The expo requires proof of vaccination and is closed to the public, and 3) athletes must wear face coverings until they cross the starting mats, and as soon as they cross the finish line, too!  We are learning new ways to deal with races in the pandemic world.

Rubia is wishing you a fine remainder of your Thursday, November 4, 2021, the only one we'll ever get!  So make the best choices you can in the moment in which you are living... and call it enough!

Life is Good!  Spark on!

✨✨🎇💖🔥

18 comments:

  1. I love the teapot. I've always talked about getting one, but still haven't.

    I know what you mean about mass shooting anniversaries not being noticed after a while. We have so many here, but everyone focuses on Columbine all over the world. The rest of the world moves on and forgets it, but doesn't realize that so many lives change forever because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we're all guilty of "forgetting" or "fogging out" those that don't directly impact us personally... don't try to quiz me about other such events. I don't remember the dates of other shootings... let's see, Columbine, yes... the school in Florida, yes, because it was on Valentine's day... but the theater in Colorado? The Las Vegas one? Even the elementary school in Newtown? I could not give month and date! I only notice them when anniversaries are mentioned on the news.

      In many ways, I think this is a form of self mental health preservation... we can't think about it all the time or we would go mad. We have to press on and live a daily life. Sad but true.

      Lives have changed. Being sensitive to it, and that you never know who you might be sitting next to, how their lives have been impacted... and being kind to one another... will get us through. In generations past, tragedies existed, they happened, but we were only aware of local ones... this selective amnesia might be our way of localizing the news.

      Hugs, be safe, and, what the hey, get yourself a teapot to cherish!

      Delete
  2. Nice kettle and pretty kitty. I should be working on my balance too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if I didn't have that trainer, I might NOT work on it. Score one for him, watching over what I need to work on!

      Delete
  3. LOVE your tea kettle! Beautiful. Love red in my kitchen.

    Prayers for all those souls lost on that day @ Ft. Hood. And prayers for all the families.

    Balance . . . I work on that, too. BUT necessary to stay independent and functional.

    CUTE picture of Rubia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Balance, as in functional fitness... essential to staying independent. If you can't walk, get down on the floor and back up again, climb stairs, dress yourself, and safely bathe, how you gonna live in your house?

      Rubia says thanks, she knows she's cute?

      Delete
  4. After our last tea kettle whistled its last notes, we now use the microwave.

    So many who voice opposition about the Covid vaccine.
    So many who voice opposition about abortion.
    So many who are silent about gun control and gun violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still partial to my whistling tea kettle... memories and steam in the kitchen!

      Those three statements at the end... well, it would take time to answer them, because they merit more than a knee jerk.

      Delete
  5. My whistler teakettle is a cobalt blue. I had to give up tea drinking of all kinds so it gets little use as spouse reheats his coffee in the microwave. The teakettle comes in handy when power outages as we can heat water in it for spouse's instant coffee in the pantry as a backup to the beans for brewed coffee.

    I've gotten lax about addressing balance issues with regular exercise. Time to get back on that wagon.

    There is so much tragedy that we are bombarded with that reminds us we are not alone in such trials and tribulations while it overloads our senses.

    Rubia looks like a very contented cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cobalt blue sounds pretty! I have had bright Christmas ball green in the past, most recently enamel white, before this red one.

      Totally agree about the "too much"... and yes, EVERYONE encounters some trials and tribulations in life! All of us human, all of us susceptible.

      Rubia says "thanks". Her hu-mom says "are we talking about the same cat?" She's a little pistol.

      Delete
  6. My balance has suffered with my back spinal arthritis issues. It’s all related. Bathroom falls are the worst. Saw too many patients admitted because they fell and broke their hip. Some had been down for days before help found it’s way. Keep your cell phone handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words about keeping the phone with you. It's your emergency call button!

      Delete
  7. You could get your water in , by drinking hot water from your new red tea kettle . My kettle is stainless steel from a company called Paderno . I love it . I hope it lasts for many more years . Take care of yourself .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan. Weather cold... water hot! But we've got a "nice weather" weekend ahead of us, thank goodness.

      Delete
  8. I love whistling pots too ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have two kettles - when there is plenty of electricity (spring, summer, fall) we use the Rosewill insulated electric kettle.

    During the winter we have a whistling AllClad one we heat on the woodstove (which is also compatible with our induction hob)

    I love them both! Not just for coffee made in the insulated french press (Thermos), but also herb tea in the insulated Leifheit “Columbus” carafe. The tea in there can stay warm for 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something comforting about that teakettle whistle, don't you think?

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...