Sunday, November 14, 2021

Nature, seasons, and us


Sunset last night, in the suburbs in which I live.

I looked out my bay window at sunset last night and had to step out on the porch to snap a photo of the sky.  Ah, a great image to end the day!

Speaking of ending the day, it's getting dark oh, so early of late.  My mom used to talk about shifting into hibernation mode as the darker months advanced.  I kind of do the same thing.  It's easier to cozy up to a streaming TV thing, or dive into a book, and just snuggle in for the day/night.

Soon I will have to get out, though, hopefully during one of the warmer days we've been promised, and fix THIS:




It would seem that some of the big winds lately have decided to start deconstructing my deck rail fencing.  This simply must be put to rights before I can have Carl over again!  He would wriggle right through and play hide and seek in the whole neighborhood!




Thank goodness, the board did not go far.  It's mild enough right now that I'm going to interrupt this blog to go out with my hammer and nails and give it a shot at a fix.






And, done.  Carl will not attempt to escape when it looks like this.    



He should be due to come visit next weekend, and I feel better having got this particular repair completed.







Meanwhile, in the news this week:

Humans aren't the only ones who can get seriously ill from the Covid 19 virus.  Two Sumatran tigers survived it, the three snow leopards did not.  This was at our Children's zoo.  Just announced Friday.  We've known they'd come down with it since mid-October, and the zoo staff did their best to tend them... but... sadly, the precious cats died.

I also saw on the news that the local white tail deer are coming down with the virus and spreading it amongst themselves.  As in wild herds!  Not a good thing.  Apparently these studies involving the deer and other wild animals have gone on for a while, and the most recent ones have come out this past week.  

So, keep on being careful, people!  However you define that.

Whatever you decide, one day at a time, let it be "best can do", and it will be enough.  This is life, this one and only Sunday, November 14, 2021 we'll ever get.  And life is goodSpark on!


19 comments:

  1. Good job with the board. ⭐️

    Cayenne is an escape artist. When we visit other people she even teaches other dogs how to escape, from their own yards! πŸ˜³πŸ˜‚. Hopefully Carl is less ingenious.

    I can’t help wondering about the covid risk to domestic cats. Information about that has been less available, and I can’t help wondering if it’s to keep crazies from killing kitties🀷‍♀️

    Thanks for the beautiful sky pic. πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They at least are not fanning the flames about domestic cats and dogs getting it, but there have been a couple of articles showing that they CAN. However, they have been careful to say there doesn't seem to be any sign of humans catching it from cats and dogs.

      Delete
    2. As long as they don’t get the Mink Treatment! 😳

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful sky! And great piece of handiwork on the deck fence/rail. Hope you and Rubia and Prisoner enjoy a few days and I get there this week! Life is good. Btw, despite longer distance, my miles are slooowwww πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Be not afraid of moving slow; be afraid only of standing still."
      - Chinese proverb

      Quoted on the Spark day at a time calendar, Tuesday, November 29, 2011. I kept the page, I like this one so well.

      Enjoy the next couple of days!

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful sunset. It pretty much dark here by 4:30p.m.

    We've had some animals in our zoo get Covid too. I always say if they come up for a shot for animals I'm getting one for my little man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 5:30 here it is pretty much dark. I grew up here on the Western edge of a time zone, where we area almost an hour offset from the eastern edge of same time zone.

      And the jaded side of me thinks that if they do come up with a shot for animals, we shall end up paying a premium for it!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful sunset!

    YES! These shorter, darker earlier evenings lend themselves to . . . reading, lazing.

    Good you got that board replaced. Better than having to play hide ‘n’ seek w/an escaped Carl.

    So sorry to hear Covid took 3 cats. **SIGH** I knew dogs could get it, didn’t know cats could. Let’s get this virus outta here already! Oh, and I had no idea deers could get it, either.

    For sure, with the rising #'s among the human population, have to really take care of ourselves !

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, jungle cats in zoos were among the first identified species also susceptible, in the early months of the pandemic. Like many, I am SO READY to have this thing GONE from our experience. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be in charge.

      Hang in there, and be careful!

      Delete
  5. Sun sets before 5pm so the evening Cycle classes feel like I’m up at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sun sets here at 5:08 p.m. today. Yep, you're on a Western edge of a time zone, too. I always disliked driving home from work after dark... and these days, I'm brushing my teeth and heading to bed between 7 and 8 p.m.!

      Delete
  6. Lovely sunset skies.

    A sister and her husband received a register German Shepherd puppy as a wedding gift from his best friend. Shalico spent his first couple of years at a rental house with a chain-link fence and never tried to escape. When they moved into their new home complete with 6'wooden privacy fence, we started calling him Houdini for his multiple escapes which included digging out a foot of aluminum sheeting at the fence line to discourage digging. That didn't work for long so they lined the entire interior of the fence line with heavy railroad ties. Nope, that didn't work. He never ran off and would be found sitting on the front porch watching the world go by.

    However the dog catcher was called out often as he was not on leash with a human attached and his size (110#'s) was frightening to school kids walking home. He was not a privacy fence dog that needed to know where noises were coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly a "sight hound"! Poor fella. Carl does not try to escape son's yard (chain link). I have a privacy fence, so that might be why he would try to escape here but not there! Still, he hasn't tried to escape from my yard recently (hasn't stayed over often).

      Delete
  7. You have tapped your inner carpenter. πŸ› ️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! So I have, and it's holding up, five days later!

      Delete
  8. It has been getting dark here by 4:45 and that makes for a long evening. The picture of your sunset is just beautiful. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the color-filled skies this time of year.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...