Monday, November 29, 2021

Beginning to look a bit like Christmas!

 

One holiday gives way to the next

While the Jewish family members and friends are already in Hannukah full swing, my own house is taking on the flavor of Christmas.  My sister #1 went in person to the community sing of Handel's Messiah yesterday afternoon.  I watched it live streamed, so I could sing along without worry of anyone's critique!  But honestly, the images of a new definition of "the masked singers" and the beauty of the music brought tears.

Decor changes, too:  The pebble jar calendar gets decorated as it moves to the dining room table as a centerpiece.  33 days left of 2021, if we include today.  Was it a year well spent?

And Frosty the demented cookie jar takes up his position on the end of the buffet/sideboard.  There's a little Thanksgiving leftover in the miniature pumpkins.

Frosty was a re-gift of a White Elephant party, but I glommed right on to him, and he's been a regular at my house, ever since.


This cardinal was a small business purchase, several years ago.  I think it was during my son's second deployment.  It is a Scentsy wax warmer that provides the pine scent for the mini ceramic tree.  

That little tree was from a craft sale at a local Senior Center, also several years back.  It reminded me of a larger ceramic tree my mother had crafted "once upon a time" when she took a ceramics class.  I have no idea which sister ended up with the original tree, if any of us did!

And it doesn't matter whether there's a holiday in the picture or not, when it's morning darkness, I have my ritual of lighting candles!


The little candle holders were either a purchase to support a work mate's child's fund raiser, also several years back, or a "Santa surprise" gift at work... I'm not sure which any more.  Pick your favorite story.  Lots of my memories are becoming that way.  Remember those old "choose your own adventure" books?  

This one, however, I know for a fact... an old, worn hand towel was the last Christmas present I ever got from my paternal grandmother, before she passed away.  It doesn't match any other towel or washcloth in the house, but it has become worn and soft over the years, and holds a place of honor as the cloth I use to clean my glasses.

My favorite memory about it was of a conversation with my son while he was deployed.  I told him I would never discard this towel and in return he told me about the set of sergeant's stripes they pinned on him at his promotion.  The soldier from whom those stripes were borrowed for the ceremony died within a month, and he will never discard them.

Today's pep talk

Time for us to remember that this is the only Monday, November 29, 2021 we will ever get.  Treat yourself with love, respect and kindness in this day.  Nourish your body with foods that support your immune system, and with activity to strengthen your heart, lungs and bones.  Nourish your soul with things of beauty and with music that speaks to your heart.  Nourish your mind with memories, and make some new ones while you are at it.

In 23 days the minutes of sunlight stop shrinking and start growing again in the Northern Hemisphere.  Pagan, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu... or any other faith or philosophy, on planet earth deals with the astronomical seasons; our holidays work in harmony with their rhythms.  May you have peace, and joy, and comfort through this season, however you celebrate it!

Life is good!  Spark on!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful stories behind all your decorations. I especially remember your special Frosty! LOL

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I giggle over Frosty, every year, and I cherish him! He is destined to be filled with oatmeal scotchies, but not for about three weeks!

      Delete
  2. Your Frosty reminds me of a cup I gave a manager ages ago. He would send me a pix of it every December to show me his carrot nose was still intact, because it actually stuck out of its face and I had told him it would be the first piece to go missing. He passed in June, so there will be no photo this year πŸ˜”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! So sorry to hear of your manager/friend's passing. He would have to have put in his will the need to send you a photo every year, and most of us don't think to do that sort of thing.

      Delete
  3. Nice meaningful traditions πŸŽ„❤️

    Just got vaccinated this morning (flu on left, covid booster on right), and trying to continue recovering from the surgery a little over a week ago.

    Tylenol isn’t really touching the pain, but it’s my only option, so I’m using it. A friend suggested tumeric to reduce inflammation so I hunted down a bottle of that in the pharmacy after my shots.

    You sound well, and I am glad πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the only option not touching the pain for you. Sending vibes of patience and calm, to encourage healing rest.

      You are a brave woman to get them at the same time, but also a wise one to cover both bases!

      Delete
  4. Amazing decorations! Thanks for the photos. Celebrating each day of life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best part of decorating is the heart warming memories that accompany each item. Thank you for sharing some of yours.

    May the world and the people be blessed with much needed peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. The decorations are reminders.

      The beauty of the season is the well-wishes, isn't it? With so many praying and sharing the desire for peace and love... may we live that desire in small kindnesses, one day at a time!

      Delete
  6. I love your decorations, especially the cookie jar. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of my favorites... the underdog of Christmas decor!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE your demented snowman! What a great jar, I can see why he is out special every year.

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...