Friday, July 7, 2023

Summertime!

 

Potato salad, made on the 4th, lasting a few days.  The burgers lasted the 1st through the 4th.  My holiday feasts are kind of drawn out in a single-person household.

We've finally got some rain, the past week.  The fireworks on the 4th were interrupted by one of the storms, but it didn't stop the people who were determined to shoot off all they bought.  Some of them were out as soon as the rain lessened.  Others waited and shot them on the 5th.

The drought monitor report showed us going from "Exceptional" drought to "Extreme" drought (that's a lesser level of drought, in case you're confused by the levels).  This report did not include the rain we got over the fourth, so hoping that next week it will be better (extreme is still not so great).  

Thursday was a particularly confusing day.  Wednesday evening I got a text from my plumbing firm saying they would arrive between 8 and 8:30 Thursday morning.  I quick like a bunny texted my trainer to cancel my session with him, as getting my water softener back was important to me, and worthy of not re-scheduling immediately.

I got myself up on Thursday morning in time to shovel things around, especially down in the laundry/furnace area of the house.  And then... the plumber didn't show up.  I busied myself with other tasks... filling out the medication list for next Monday's eye appointment, for example.  When an hour and a half had passed (and I could have been to the trainer and on my way home by then), I called to find out what was up.  Sure enough, the text was sent in error!  Bummer.  For this, I missed my workout!

Then the phone blipped with notification of prescriptions ready to pick up.  Off to the grocery store that contains my pharmacy, and pick up a few other essentials (bananas, with thoughts of LeanJean6). 

New game that has my attention, thanks to kid sis Alicia:  How many US Cities can you name?  I'm hooked.  Don't log in, and don't save, and as long as you go back on the same device you can keep on adding cities.  So far, I'm up to 339 cities, containing 23.5% of the US urban population.  Lots of folks live in smaller cities.  I have at least one city in all 50 states, and I've got all the capitals... plus having lived in three states gave me some knowledge of local area smaller towns.  Then I remember that Grandpa came from city X or city Y, we visited cousins in city Z (or town or village).  It also gives you interesting statistics, like which of the cities you have named are the largest, the smallest, the rarest among players (the town my son grew up in is the rarest in my own list... with only 0.03% of players having included it in their lists).  Don't you just love a good mind stretcher?

Oh, and of the five smallest towns I named, they are all in my home state!  The smallest with a whopping population of 51.  I will keep adding to it as time goes on.  

Next week is going to be too much peopling, so I'll be storing up energy over the weekend.  Next week I have the eye doctor, the plumber who did not come on Thursday will be here Wednesday (they got the part in on Friday), and on Saturday there's another P-5 family outing, to Robber's Cave.  Add in the normal workouts with the trainer, and I'm pretty well booked up.

I'll leave off with a refreshing photo of this morning's downpour.  

Life is good.  Spark on!

15 comments:

  1. And Wednesday walk, and Thursday ‘Keep or Toss’ class, and, and, and.....yep, storing up energy may be the name of the game! Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I left out that class... again! I wonder what that says about my hoarding nature or my shame about my hoarding nature...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like our 4th of July meal last days. I love when you can get a meal to do that.

    We have rain coming any moment right now. The rain that never ends for us, but it's good for the outside.

    Have a great weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday morning cloudy... heading out to recycle!

      Delete
  3. A very quiet 4th here. Due to the fire dangers, town displays were cancelled. Even the locals respected the warnings and threats and were quiet. My doggie had a peaceful 4th.
    The US cities game sounds like fun.
    You have a busy week planned for next week. Make it Sparkle!! 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fourth sounds peaceful and respectful! Good for your communities, valuing safety!

      Delete
  4. Interesting sounding game, although I wouldn't do very well I only know some of the major cities in the States although maybe there will be a Canadian city one to play. That I could do pretty good. I did the potato salad, burgers and some deviled eggs while our daughter was visiting. Perfect time of year for that. - Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are versions for Europe, and specific countries as well... you might want to scan to see if they have Canada! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  5. I thought of you as I made my potato salad, remembering other times you've made it with about the same recipe as I do. I had it on my salad one day this week for lunch. Gotta finish it up today, also for lunch.
    That sounds like a highly peopled week for you.
    Thanks for the info on the game. I certainly will try it.
    Not much going on here... except finishing some painting, emptying closets, moving furniture that I don't want the carpet guys touching. The final move is one I'll enjoy. Taking the TV off line and moving all the electronics. Maybe there will be conversation here for an hour or two.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumb question, that involves the workplace as well: why is it that we only interact face to face when the electronics get taken down? Hmmm!

      Delete
    2. Nothing dumb about it. Some people enjoy the ability to not have to make a choice of what to do or think. My DH is one. The TV is on as soon as he gets up. He walks through the door and turns it on before he takes off his coat, sits for hours staring at crap and comes to bed late because he hasn't given himself enough energy to turn it off. He takes a nap with the remote in his hand.
      I, on the other hand, turn it off as he walks out the door. I sit in silence or turn on some music.
      We converse when we go out to diner and sit face to face, or in the car.
      Remember when we used to visit people and the TV was off? That doesn't happen in my husbands family.

      Delete
    3. When the phone rings, the TV goes off. When people arrive at the door, the TV goes off. When I am alone in the house, it is often on for "white noise". In the car, if I have a passenger... no radio on. People in person trump the electronics. It's how I roll. I have my priorities!

      In the workplace, though, we communicated mostly through the machine! And we used the machine to illustrate a discussion point. And only sorted out the physical hard copy when the "system" was down!

      Delete
  6. Nothing better that burgers and potato salad (or cole slaw). Got rain, too, just not enough yet.

    Dang on the plumber!! *SIGH**

    Yikes! Could not imagine living in a town of 51!

    Yup. . . sounds like you gotta store up some peopling energy for next week. Good luck.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crzydog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barb,
    Sounds like you have a busy week ahead, so I hope that you are getting the planned rest this weekend! Your potato salad looks delish; I rarely make it since it IS labor-intensive but homemade is so much better than store offerings. It is hot, hot, hot here in central FL and so humid…yesterday when I walked was THE worst day yet and that was 7 AM! And, the coast has gotten little to no rain…I hope that your drought level has improved! Your name the city list sounds interesting…may have to give that a try. Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I opened the fridge today, smiled, and verbalized being blessed with a full fridge; I love leftovers, mixing & matching, yum!
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...