Monday, July 3, 2023

Things that bring hope

 

This was the pebble jar on June 30th, half the year gone!

With the news being so stirring up, I think it's good to reflect on things closer to home.  Saturday at the dog bar, my daughter in law let me know they are starting to talk about the possibility of adoption.

You know how some people are vegan for ethical reasons?  My son is against bringing children into the world because of how he views it (and also looking at his family history when it comes to mental health... doesn't want to continue the genetic line).  Whether I agree or not with this, it's his life and his decision.  But working in mental health, as he does, he is exposed to a lot of children in need, and he has nothing against a philosophy that says, "I wasn't responsible for bringing them into this world, but I am in favor of bettering their circumstances and giving them a better chance in life".  

In their research, they have found that they have to be married for two years to qualify for the program they are interested in.  I'm not sure how it works exactly, but its title is something like "foster to adopt", so you would be taking a child in a bad situation into your home, to provide stability, etc.  

In any case, trying to limit my expectations, but it thrills me to think of the possibility of a grandchild in the future.  There is reason to hope, in that at least the subject is being discussed within the young marriage.  She talked as though they are prioritizing the addition of a child over the search for a bigger house.  Even so, the prospect is at least two years out; there is plenty of time for them to talk through their various decision points.

Doing dumb things... in the wake of the plumber's visit

I've been working on removing, clearing out, and putting back on the little screens on the taps in various places in the house.  One of them, the sink in the family room, I ended up popping the screen out in the process.  It wasn't going back on.  At all.

So brainless me thought... "super glue, it worked for the shower spring 23 years ago"!   That latch still works to this day.

Dumb idea, though.  I ended up gluing my fingers to each other, to the screen, and to the plastic bit I was trying to glue it to!  

Add to the drama, Rubia decided to "help".  I yelled at her.  Sorry, not sorry.  Eventually I worked my fingers loose, but I still have dried super glue on my skin.  

A trip to the hardware store will replace the little nozzle end, but we might be talking Friday for that.

Monday afternoon was my trainer session.  Now I am thoroughly confused as to what day of the week it is, and this confusion is likely to continue all week.  

As always:  life is good.

Spark on!






14 comments:

  1. What is it with cats and sinks?? I've had several that think the bathroom sink is the perfect napping place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😁 Smooth, cool, and shaped like a curl-up cat?

      Delete
  2. "I wasn't responsible for bringing them into this world, but I am in favor of bettering their circumstances and giving them a better chance in life". It was a philosophy similar to DS's that led me to special ed teaching. There were so many I would loved to have brought home. It's so easy to love a child.

    She's a willing helper. 😉
    Have a pleasant evening. 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 👍Exactly! People with good hearts, raising the next generation of people with good hearts, I hope. Children deserve to be cherished, encouraged, cheered on, from whatever their starting point might have been!

      Delete
  3. LOL on the super glue. Been there.
    Good luck to the kids, and kudos to their choices. There are lots of kids out there who need loving homes. My kids are putting a tentative toe in that water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your kids. Raising the next generation is ALL our job! Making a difference in a young life puts new life into our own. I thought about it before I was married. DH was anti, so, that was the end of that thought for me. I'm glad my son is more open to the idea, especially as these "kids" in my life are fast approaching 40.

      Delete
  4. I love reading the adventures you get into. Super glued fingers 😂 oh no! Add a holiday to keep confusing the days of the week. Right there with you; hope I realize when it’s Monday again so I show up to work on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was me - Ace

      Delete
    2. LOL! Thanks for identifying yourself... I was playing guessing games. The super glued fingers seem to be "fixed" now (two days later).

      Delete
  5. OHHHHH BARB!! Having 2 adopted kids all I can say is they won’t regret it. Lots to go through, but . . . so worth it! Blessings, prayers, and all the best as they make their decision.

    With DS being in social work, he has a birds eye view as to how foster to adoption works. That’s honestly great!

    Well good luck w/that little screen. GAH! The things that can happen, right!

    Here’s to a wonderful Fourth.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I really love it when our kitty decides that we need her help, which like yours is no help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the holiday being on Tuesday, but bf having Weds off instead def made for a confusing week for me, too.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...