Monday, July 10, 2023

Weekending

Saturday morning chores... the recycling center trip... corrugated cardboard, plastics, glass, cans... all out of the house now.  I accumulate them at home until the at home bins are full, then off to the center they go!  And my house feels lighter because they are gone.

As I was leaving the house to do the first trip, I discovered that there was an auction going on down the block.  Usually this is an estate sale situation, and you wouldn't believe the hordes of customers they get.  Always a bit of a show for the locals.

27 years is a long time

Twenty seven years ago was our "Summer from hell".  Twenty seven years ago yesterday, my mother passed.  This was three weeks to the day after we lost my husband's brother.  And in another few weeks, my mother in law would suffer a stroke.  When it's all swirling around you, you go numb.  Time passes and you wonder how you did it... but somehow, you did.  And now, twenty seven years later, it is just something that happened.  You still miss the people.  But you have kept on keeping on, and life is still life.

Sunday

A morning walk started Sunday off well.  I even had company!

The long anticipated Eye Appointment was Monday morning

Scheduled with visual field test at 7:30 a.m., my inner anxious Grandpa Ken genes got up up at 3:45.  Yep.  Might as well take that shower and get yourself ready early.

Doctor's offices are even "mask optional" these days.  I must have been the first appointment of the day because unlike other visits there was not a lot of waiting around.  They dilated my eyes to get a better look and hoo-boy that takes a loooong time to wear off.  The world becomes oh-so-bright, and you feel lucky you made it home safe afterward.

The cataract?  Oh, yes, we are going to take care of that puppy... August 14th is the surgery.  Pre-op regular doctor exam a week before, and a blood draw ahead, too, plus aftercare appointments with the surgeon and a week later the optometrist.  

Unlike some patients, I don't get much in terms of fancy lens choices, sez the doc.  Because I also have glaucoma, it will be a "normal" lens.  No astigmatism kind of correction, but it will be adjusted for distance vision.  He said I might see some lack of balance between the eyes.  Doc, I've been dealing with unbalanced eyes my whole life, I think I can handle this.

I will need a driver both the day of and the day after the surgery, and they recommend having someone stay overnight with you the day of the surgery.  So there is that to line up.

And the Thursday organizing your home class has been canceled for lack of registrations.

They offered a Zoom class as an alternative, but I turned that down.  They will refund my registration fee.  Guess it's back to the boot-strap method for getting my act together!

Meanwhile, back at the trainer

Remember last November when I got called for Jury Duty (and didn't get picked, so only had to show up down there one day?)  Well, this week, it is the trainer's turn.  If he was going to have to report that would be today.  We shall see if that further jumbles up the week ahead.

May your week ahead be blessed.  For Life is goodSpark on.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, yes, I can imagine you went numb with all those losses 27 yrs. ago.

    Glad your eye exam is done! Yes, I have green eyes (green and blue eyes takes lots longer to assimilate the mediation they use to dilate the eyes! Mine sometimes still are a little dilated 24 hrs. later). Glad you have your cataract removal date! You’ll be happy. Yes, from the time I had eye #1 to #2, it was a bit of a brain adjustment to the vision imbalance. But I only had to wait a month between operations. It’s like a psychedelic light show when they zap he cataract w/the laser. I found it interesting. But then, guess maybe I’m a little odd that way??? No pain, so for that I was very grateful. And the difference is vision is amazing.

    Good for you having a driver lined up for before and after surgery.

    Good luck to the trainer w/jury duty. Interesting process, but . . . time consuming. I was chosen for jury duty back in June, but . . . was declined due to my hearing (or lack thereof). And @ age 69, probably won’t have my # come up again, as they usually cut off @ 70.

    Here’s to a good week ahead.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was almost to the 70 year old cut off when they called me last year, so I don't expect to have to report ever again.

      Delete
  2. The cataract surgery will make such a difference...especially night driving. I had to have a driver, but don't remember having to have an overnight guest. Maybe they assumed. For me, there was no pain. No bruising. Sleeping with the eye guard was uncomfortable, but I'm a grown up and I managed. Hope your trainer doesn't get selected...for his sake and yours.

    Enjoy the week. It's going to be hot and humid here. Yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trainer hasn't had to report yet, so Tuesday workout is on. They know I live alone, so "overnight"... I'm debating on asking my sister... she had her friend Rhonda stay over when she had hers done.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, so sorry.
    I had my blood drawn this morning, annual check up, I almost had the nurse in tears. She asked if I was ok, not sure if I was looking pail/ill, I said a quick yes. When she announced she was done, I said I’ve had to grow up. She looked confused. I said I lost my mom last year, she would hold me when I had my blood drawn because I would pass out. She looked at me 🥹She shared her mom has been gone for 6 years and it still hurts… I fought back my tears until I got back in my car😔
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((( hugs ))) It's funny how it hits at unexpected moments. I was playing the "name cities" game online, and I started remembering all the towns along the Boston Marathon route, and the ache for Kevin hit me.

      Delete
    2. Yup, out of nowhere. I don’t realize I’m talking about her out loud until I see the other person’s reaction, by then it’s too late, soon after he waterworks begin🥹

      Delete
    3. Yep. Big hugs! (((()))) Let the feels happen!

      Delete
  4. My eye appointment has been rescheduled due to my doctor is no longer with Kaiser and had to pick a new one. The surgery will do you wonders for your eyes.

    Love it when you can clear a lot of things out of the house. We're working on the backyard right now, but the house is later on this week.

    You would go numb from all the loss you went through. You're right though we just go through the everyday, but remember them fondly.

    Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((( Big Hugs, back ))) New day, fresh sunshine after overnight rain!

      Delete
  5. I love recycling. I get to take anything metal to our bins and once a month they will take electronics.

    You will do just fine. I have one eye with the 'regular' lens and the other has the multifocal. I can read/see close up without closing the one eye as your brain adjusts and ignores the eye that can't see close. If I close the 'multifocal' eye, I'm amazed at how blurry the close vision is in the 'regular' eye. I went without glasses for about 10 years and now 'age related changes' require I have glasses at hand for heavy close work. I can still read my phone or a menu for quick reading without.

    Time does make it softer, yet after 22/11 years, I can suddenly wish I could ask my mom/dad a question and then I tear up because I'm asking it to the air and they took the answers with them. Just like right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((( hugs ))) We carry them with us. I always wonder if they might have changed some things they taught me by now, based on their experiences since. Y'know? Of course, not everyone believes in life continuing beyond the transition called death... but mom used to explain soul as "consciousness"... not remembering a time when we weren't, and not being able to envision "not being". We'll all get to graduation day sometime!

      Delete
  6. Hubby has had that surgery for his eyes several times and retina too. The results for him were amazing to him and I am sure you will feel the same. Losses do seem to come in clusters sometimes - huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((( hugs ))) And yesterday I passed the milestone of being exactly (to the day) four years older than mom was when she died. It's one of those "weird" things in the inner life of a geek.

      I'm looking forward to seeing better. Now to focus on enhancing my health as much as I can with good habits leading up to the procedure!

      Delete

Mother's Day

  My daughter in law spent Mother's Day with her mom and sent her husband (my son) over to spend some time with me!  He brought Carl alo...