Sunday, July 16, 2023

Robber's Cave tour

Ever wonder what it would be like to turn a hobby / passion into a side-hustle, and later at least a "Summer job", but more likely, year-round?  This guy is doing it. 

Joel Green, author

Fascinated by Nebraska's one and only cave... he researched and wrote a book.  He conducts tours of the cave.  

Now you have to understand that this cave has a long local history.  I went there as a kid.  The way my wonky memory works, it was when I was a Brownie Scout, which tracks with the history of the cave being open.  Because it closed for quite a while, and has only reopened for tours the past seven or eight years.

My observation as a kid was that most of the cave was way too "civilized", but there was this back part that was a bit more wild, and fueled our imaginations as kids. It's the part beyond the yellow chain in that photo.  I opted out of that loop of the tour, because he indicated how large a step might be in parts of it, and that it was kind of muddy down there.  It got flooded back in 2018 when most of Nebraska was flooding.

Anyway, the kids and her parents took that "challenge" loop, and I'll bet it would have triggered more of my childhood memories had I chosen to do it.  I took a later "challenge" passage, but it was going UP, not down, so I wasn't as intimidated by it.

Above, a "selfie attempt" to catch the five of us.  I gave up after just one such, because I wasn't feeling secure in the footing.

A vein of iron ore in the general sandstone walls of the cave.  The guide made a joke to the kids about the video game "Minecraft".  

This was a modern kind of tour, complete with tablet photos (from the book collection) of historic use of the cave.

Our guide would have the tour group line the sides of the passages and show those photos around.

Robber's cave has gone by various names through the years.  Being close to the state penitentiary it was once called Penitentiary Cave.  But it was also used as storage for a brewery, as a gaming den, as a concert venue, with dancing included, and currently it is rented out as a venue for Weddings and such.  The football and vollyball teams from the University of Nebraska took some tunnel walk photos in the cave.  

But the tour we took was all about history.

Lots of graffiti on the walls, which have dates on them going back to 1901.  

There is a spot, where the "stage" used to be for the bands, where someone had carved the word "Brownie", and our tour guide had me stand under it while he snapped my photo.  


My DIL took a shot of me posing... it's got one of those fake grins on my face, but it's me.  The word "Brownie" did not make it into her photo.  It's above my head on my left.

A part of the cave is netted over, because... bats.  And the tour guide had a great video that he saved for the end of the tour to show us of a twilight zone moment he experienced where the electricity in the cave did some pretty freaky things.

He said he saved it for last so that we wouldn't refuse to enter the cave.  But then again, remember, modern day.  Most of us were carrying phones that include flashlight, which of course those of us worried about the uneven footing in the darker parts of the cave used in spots.


The afterparty:

Dueling cell phone photos of the 4 oz. beers.  

This was before the food arrived... let's see, they had a dark lager with chocolate at the front, the Peach flavored one is at the back left, and a couple of lagers in the middle.

I'm being educated by the younger generation, even though I don't drink myself.  This is responsible sampling!  Four people, four four-ounce beers.

The food was provided by Porkalicious, and was indeed pork... pulled pork tacos and nachos, and they were delicious.

Over the meal we were swapping info about our various smart watches (both Lacey and I had acquired new ones in the past week, and my son is shopping for his next one).  Three or four different brands and features, with each person choosing what's most important to him or her.  We also looked at the features of the various fitness apps on our phones that interact with these watches.

That's about it from Saturday.  Sunday morning, we have rain... ahhh!  We do need this rain.  May it be gentle and soak in to the parched ground, and maybe move us another step down the drought monitor chart (we're down to Severe as of last Thursday's update).

Life is good.  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful tour! I remember being in Cave of the Winds in Colorado. It was like a different world. Also learned from that experience that I have claustrophobia!

    Those beers look tasty! Glad you could sample the varieties.

    Here's to rain. We need it too.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was fascinating is how many little things I must have buried in memory about the cave from my childhood tours... I knew the image carved in the cave wall by the stage was a Sphinx. Apparently a secret society used to meet there at some point in history. I remembered many little things about the symbolism in the walls. They didn't mention the 1920's history of the KKK meeting there out loud during the tour, but it's in the video linked above.

      I believe I have visited Wind Cave in South Dakota, but not the Cave of the Winds in Colorado. Memory gets fuzzy until you re-visit the places and then it links up!

      Delete
  2. What an informative video! The cave would be a "must see" for out-of-town visitors. Lots of memories for you, too. Thanks for the link.

    Interesting beer offerings. Chocolate or peach flavored beer does not ignite the taste buds. Looks like a great time had by all. 🍻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I have never had a beer, and it didn't *sound* good to me to be mixing chocolate with it... but I smelled the chocolate one and it smelled very chocolate and not "beery" so at least there was that.

      The guide said most of his tour participants were out of state visitors. I imagine most of us locals just do not prioritize local attractions, unless we have guests!

      Delete
  3. Darn, that looks like something I'd do! Lotsa fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love the stories! And getting dirty, crawling around... I might do the challenge loop if you come out to tour with me.

      Delete
    2. Challenge (almost) accepted! I've been to Lurray in VA, Jewel Cave in NE, Carlsbad in NM but I've never gotten dirty. Maybe it's time, LOL!

      Delete
    3. LOL... Robber's Cave is the ONLY cave in Nebraska. Jewel Cave is in S. Dakota. And you'll get dirty even if you stay in the most civilized portions of the cave. The sand is loose, the footing uneven, and the chances you'll at the very least put a hand on the wall are high.

      Delete
    4. Oops! Yep SD. We did the the short tour at Jewel, I wish I'd done the full one but, oh well.

      Delete
    5. I have a whole mountain of "oh, well" instances in my lifetime of memories, but I also have a big mountain of "glad I did this".

      Delete
  4. What great fun! Our area doesn't have caves due to the sand throughout the area. I know what you mean about locals not exploring, I use to make it a point when I was off in the summer to play tourist in our nation's capital because of just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe this cave's walls are sandstone? So caves CAN exist in sandy parts of the country. Courtesy of Nebraska having once been an inland sea. Granted the cave was expanded by human hands with pick-axes, but it has none of the stalagmites or stalactites that populate caves formed in other kinds of stone. Sedimentary rock, that's us.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...