Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Time to drag out the Christmas season coffee mugs

 

Some of my coffee mugs are truly seasonal, and I only bring them out for the month of December (OK, I might sneak them a little early, as in after Thanksgiving, USA).  I did my first Holiday mug cup yesterday morning.

I have three of this sort.  Two of them were gifts from sisters (this one, and the reindeer one, which will show up sometime in a blog this season), and the third was a race "swag" mug (swag = "stuff we all get").

One of the challenges of being old-er is that this kind of thing accumulates over the decades, and so it may not all come out every year.  Eventually, I shall have to down-size, and the other challenge is that things with memories attached are hard to let go!  How does one choose among the mugs if one only has room for one of them?

And what if a new shiny one shows up under your tree?  You've only just compounded the "stuff" problem.

My social appropriateness antennae went on high alert this year, as I've been invited to a Christmas eve gathering with my son's girlfriend's family.  Of course I immediately accepted, but then later, "Yikes!"  I needed to find out what their gift exchange traditions are, as we gave that up on my side of the family years ago.  

One reason for giving up gift exchanges in the broader group is, we are a mixed family, some Christian, some Jewish, some claiming to be atheists.  Another is that our generation's children were no longer children, and we'd already gone to "kids only" for gifts.  However, this is new family, and a new generation hosting, so social expectations may be different.

OK, time for a conversation with the mythical son... data mining for appropriate behavior!  Turns out smallish gifts of the consumable variety are appropriate... sounding a lot like shared cultural heritage!  Social appropriateness antennae are all comfy again.

Meanwhile, Rubia has reclaimed center stage on the dining room table.  When I first changed the table cloths, she retreated to the kitchen, beside the microwave, ears back.






But within less than 24 hours, she's back on the table with a glare that says "I dare you to move me!"  In other cat news, on Tuesday I spotted a gray tabby back snugged up against my door, so I slid it open, expecting the Prisoner to come inside, but it wasn't the Prisoner... it was Ferrel, the visitor, who of course skittered off at once, turning to stare back at me.  

This morning (Wednesday), Rubia was particularly insistent on getting my attention.  She's a little helper anyway, but vocal, head-bumps, etc.  I'm slow before my coffee... checked the pet dishes... sure enough, the bottom of the dish is showing.  Refilled, she ate three bites, then asked to go outside.

"Are you going to tell the Prisoner breakfast is served?" I queried.  No answer... just prancing across the deck.


Well, that's about enough to post for now.  Here's hoping you are having a good start to your December, remembering to take care of YOU in the midst of taking care of others.  Because you are worth it, and the world needs you at your best!

Life is Good.  Spark on!




26 comments:

  1. Good thinking finding out the DS's girlfriend's traditions. Wise!

    Happy first of December!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... don't want son to lose this one through my being clumsy about social expectations, for sure! She's what we call "a keeper".

      Delete
  2. Happy 1st day of this festive month, BarbπŸŽ„‼️‼️ Yes, it is difficult to part with some things....I take a picture and then I can always see it🀷‍♀️. I’m wondering if your feral guest is seeking shelter in your house...maybe Prisoner or Rubio spread the word about you being a great Mom?! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done similar things with taking a photo so I can discard the physical item.

      LOL about "Ferrel" the kitty. I do not seriously think this is truly a feral cat, it's too obviously well cared for and fed, even though skittish of ME. It hangs out in my yard a lot, though, seeming to like the playhouse under the balcony, and sometimes even sunning on the deck while my two are also out there. They have somehow worked out the pecking order!

      Delete
  3. I change out our mugs as well, but I have about two shelves worth of holiday ones. I love getting them ans this year I'm going to have to look through them because there's a lot I don't use because they're small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some decisions (too small) are easier than others. If you don't absolutely love something, no need to keep it around. Re-gifting sometimes works, but not always.

      Delete
  4. I have two Christmas mugs, but one I use only for decor or "special"...it can't go through the dishwasher. Like you, they come out only at Christmas season. For me that is Thanksgiving night. About a year ago I dispensed with the coffee mugs which match my plain Corel dishes, keeping only my "special" coffee mugs. Some I've purchased for myself, three were from my mom's cupboard (she had SO MANY), and others were gifts.

    I hope your Christmas celebration with the girlfriend's family is fun; it sounds interesting and yummy to give small edible gifts.

    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "ritual object" special dishes / cups are worth the hand washing, don't you think?

      Delete
  5. I'll also assert my own traditions to round out the expectations in holidays with new(and current family). There are so many people in need and I can be generous for them. I want your company, nothing more. Consumables sound good to me, though. They are nice gestures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent choice. Some years I have just done charity donations in honor of family members.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the festivities with GF's family. The beginning of a new tradition...those are usually fun. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little variety along with the classic style of tradition is always welcome!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely new and expanding tradition! Happy Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe I have been on this planet so many years without realizing that “swag” is an acronym! πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, now I don’t feel so bad! 🀣

      https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/history-of-swag

      Delete
    2. It's not, it really did have the "booty" (pirate's swag) meaning, but the "promotional items" was played with, and it turned into the pneumonic (as opposed to acronym) for "stuff we all get". I only came to the late meaning after getting a bunch of it at various events!

      Delete
    3. Make that neumonic, putting the p in front turns it from a memory trick into a lung condition!

      Delete
    4. Too funny.

      As a veteran of many scientific conferences over the years, I’ve collected (and passed along) tons of the stuff! πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  9. How nice to have Christmas mugs. Awwww, I love Rubia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps the cat is interested in one of yours?

    Interesting acronym for swag which I had not heard before.

    Got our booster shots yesterday.

    Whether or not we and my siblings and their extended families will gather this year is still up in the air due to schedules and some concerns over differing vaccine views. The 26th is on the calendar tentatively. Folks 18 & under get gifts which means our great-nieces & great-nephews. Since we don't know what they like (& usually already have) we have resorted to cash for the teens and Highlights subscriptions for the younger set.

    Our Christmas 'stuff' moved from the closet to the living room floor last weekend. One item for the mantle that elicits a smile from me is a ceramic Christmas basket given to me full of Hershey's Kisses in 1972 by a gentleman retiring from the company I worked for -- the only year that I was living away from my home state. Mr. Smith, an Engineer, was a very shy, quiet man who gave each of the secretaries a basket and blushed when we thanked him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, what a wonderful memory of the Christmas basket! And of the blushing Engineer!

      I do hope you figure out a way to get a "safe" gather together for the holiday. I do remember that there is a phase of life when money is the best gift... as they are becoming adults and having to manage an apartment for the first time!

      Congrats on getting those boosters. My son (after I nagged him a couple of times) made it a point to tell me that his is now on the schedule for Saturday! Yay! One more layer of protection for the next gather of "the five vaxxed", on Christmas eve.

      Delete
  11. I left out the tradition that the adults have in lieu of gift exchanges. We take up a collection (anonymously placed in a decorated box) and each present an idea of how to use the money locally to assist someone or an organization that we all approve of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this tradition! Giving to those less fortunate at "festive" times seems very appropriate!

      Delete
  12. it looks like Rubia is giving you what I call in our house "the stink eye" LOL

    ReplyDelete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...