Saturday, December 18, 2021

It's wrapping day, here.

 

Pebble jar December 18, non-leap year

You better watch out...

The pebble jar calendar, in its Christmas decor, looks about the same every year when it's time to wrap the presents.  See the dwindling number of days left in the year (little jar, center front)?  See the growing heap of days spent (big jar, center of wreath)?  Yes, I do better with non-living decor!  😏

I always intend to wrap early, provided I'm doing any presents in a given year, that is.  This year, I am determined that they will be wrapped TODAY, not waiting for Christmas eve day.

Christmas eve day is reserved, this year, for baking a couple of treats to go to the gathering.  Wrapping and baking don't mix very well, at least in my own mind.



Tools

Results, so far


It takes me a long time, and it is not one of my strong skill sets.  But getting there!  The stocking is from son's deployment to Afghanistan.  The name at the top is "The Wizard".  It needs to move from my house to his... this is a good time.



I think I shall leave the Two Blind Brothers box "naked", as well as a "fish tank" gift for the young people.

"What is a Fish Tank gift?" you might ask.

Family lore has it that one year on my son's birthday, he asked for a small fish bowl.  His father got him a 29 gallon aquarium!  And this forced me into the setting up of said aquarium, using up a good deal of the birthday time.  Son really didn't want this aquarium, it was something his Dad wanted.  So whenever we go shopping for gifts, if we choose the gift WE want, instead of something that really suits the recipient, in our family we call it a "fish tank" and laugh at the inside joke.

My friend Gerri and I borrowed kayaks from my son and his GF to provide swim leg support for a triathlon in September, and we noticed a couple of things that would be useful if we ever needed to borrow them again:  pool noodles (to help as flotation for a swimmer in trouble) and safety whistles (to call a power boat to the rescue for a swimmer is even worse trouble).  So we went in together to purchase these little trinkets.  But they definitely qualify under the family definition as "fish tank" gifts because Gerri and I are the triathlon support kayakers, not my son and his girlfriend.

Oh, I have real gifts for them, too, but it's tradition to bring humor in the bag, and the beat up box from the two blind brothers and the fish tank gift should supply that!

Does your family have any quirky traditions when it comes to gift exchanges?

Here's hoping you've had a good day, this one and only Saturday, December 18, 2021 we'll ever get!  But whatever kind of day it's been, it's at its closing now, and it had been "enough".  Be kind to yourself and nurture your evening with bedtime routines and restful sleep.  You are loved.  You are valued.  You are worth taking care of... in the only time we have... the present!

πŸ§§πŸŽπŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ€ΆπŸ€ΆπŸ¬πŸ¬πŸ’–

22 comments:

  1. I see the wreath around the pebble jar is made of un-killable plants 😁

    H and his friends have this weird hideous highly ornamented object they’ve been giving each other, back and forth, for decades. I’m not even sure who has it at the moment. And I’m not even sure what the Object even is, to be honest. I’m not sure if anyone does...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that wreath is totally artificial, and made of silk so it kind of "feels" real.

      Aha! I detect a family of kindred spirits: a ritual object passed back and forth, like a trophy! It is things like this that make up tradition, and customize it to a family/tribe/group of friends! Tell him your imaginary friend approves!

      Delete
    2. ROFL, more of a white elephant than a trophy, I think! You get brownie points for getting rid of it! πŸ˜‚

      Delete
    3. Even more fun! I think my ex-daughter in law thought she "won" by getting rid of Frosty, re-gifting him to me. But he's got a permanent home at my house.

      Delete
    4. LOL!

      H appreciated your fish tank custom πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. I keep putting off my wrapping too. I need to get that done. I always say I will start early and not have to do it all one day, but here I am again at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lift my coffee mug this morning to my fellow procrastinators, but I think I'm done. Yay!

      Delete
  3. We had a fun tradition that's disappearing. In the '80's my MIL used to use decorated boxes with Christmas prints...no need to wrap. We re-used the boxes by placing a new gift label over the old. It became the "thing" to see how many labels would stack and where the boxes had been. We had one box that made 20+ years! Alas, cardboard boxes don't hold up so well.
    I may start again with gift bags ;-)

    Enjoy your wrapping day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I *am* re-using a gift bag that came from this same group to me last Christmas. But the rest of the things did not fit in the reusable bags I had on hand, thus using some wrapping paper that is YEARS old.

      Delete
  4. Love your pebble jars!

    We always have to exchange Christmas sox!

    Happy wrapping.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the "mandatory" Christmas sox exchange! Perfect tradition!

      Delete
  5. Moving away from quirky gifting, do you do the old-fashioned English tradition of party hats/crowns and crackers at Christmas? I've seen that in films and been fascinated, but haven't been able to find those items around here. Plum pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Years ago, it was the annual Christmas photo. Everyone is now scattered to the 4 winds, and sadly, the annual photos are no more.

    Congrats on the wrapping. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the story of how the "fish tank" gifts originated. DH and I have received some strange gifts from his son & wife, with the oddest probably being a cookie cutter in the shape of Arkansas. They live in Texas, we live on the West Coast, and even if I did make the kind of cookies that require a cookie cutter, I'm not sure anybody outside of Arkansas would be able to identify that cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE IT! An Arkansas shaped cookie cutter... and you're probably right... I am not sure I would recognize such a shape, and I'm only two states away (if you travel it right).

      I truly do love the little quirks that make everyone's life unique, the inside family jokes.

      Delete
  8. One year I gave H a Kleenex box cover that looked like a stack of books in maroon & dark green with gold pages as one gift for graduation with his Bachelor's degree (1982). He obviously did not like it so it went into the family white elephant gift exchange about 1990 and our young adult niece got stuck with it. In 1999 we had the family over to commemorate my Bachelor's and his Master's degrees, at age 50 for both of us, and the niece gifted him with the Kleenex box cover that he 'just loved' -- she winked at me over his enthusiasm. You guessed it, that cover has sat unused since as the adults dropped the white elephant exchange in favor of an optional money collection with ideas for where to apply it that the majority vote chose. Need to include it in the next roundup for de-cluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww! But it will be a memory forever, and thought of with love and laughter! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  9. Lots of wrapping indeed. The pebble-jar decoration is lively and beautiful. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes!! Christmas crackers with silly tissue paper crowns pretty regularly make an appearance here!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm so glad the Olde English traditions are being observed... at least in Canada, if not down here on the US Prairies.

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...