Sunday, December 10, 2023

Confused about what time of year it is?

 I am!  The weather keeps teasing us with warmer than seasonal days mixed in with more seasonal ones.  We had three days in the past week get to 60 F.  Believe it or not, the lawn guys came on Friday and are still doing leaf blowing cleanup, all due to the fact that no snow has settled in to "seal" the ground.

The things I've ordered online have been trickling in, and they get stashed up in the spare room until I decide to wrap them.  The Christmas card from the kids showed up in my mailbox Thursday.  Poor Carl was snapped with antlers on.  As usual it's a collage of photos from the year, including a couple of wedding shots, and a couple of pet shots.  And it's signed by the newlyweds, Carl, Kiwi, and Scout (the last two being the birds).  My son assured me that Carl managed to shed those antlers in short order.

Friday morning, I wrapped the sister gifts that I was enticed into acquiring by the internet.  Still to be wrapped are the things for the kids (two packages yet to arrive) and for my son's in-laws.  

The tree in the bay window, from the inside view.

Shopping is almost done.  

In between the holiday stuff there's a lot of everyday stuff.  Tuesday next week I have my rescheduled dental appointment.  Due to the rescheduling, I have gone six months since my last cleaning.  That's the old "normal" scheduling, which I have not followed in over a decade, maybe 20 years.  I've been on tight cleaning schedules for a very long time.  This is a test!

Because of this appointment on what would normally be a trainer workout day, the workout had to be rescheduled, too.  It is now on Wednesday!  It will be a very strange week.

On Thursday, I will be the cataract surgery taxi driver for my older sister.  Her gentleman friend (even older than she) would certainly be willing, but in the case of being the extra ears to listen to the doctor's instructions for after care, she wants a sister.  That's what sisters are for!

One thing that doesn't confuse the time of year is the availability of schmaltzy Christmas movies on the streaming services.  Saturday night it's "Love Actually".  Earlier in the week, it had been "Holiday" (Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn), "Christmas in Connecticut" (Barbara Stanwyck), and a few of the newer Hallmark offerings.  I truly love "Holiday" but it came on at 9 p.m. and I was asleep before the good parts.  

Saturday morning, I got myself out to acquire the traditional dark chocolate orange.  This was prompted by an instant message from a family member to see if anyone had already got this item!

Sunday morning, more wrapping!  I still have some deliveries that haven't arrived, but some years I do stay on top of things.  Hoping to make this year one of those.

Life's good.  Spark on! 








15 comments:

  1. For me, the weather is a nice present. It won't upset me if it stays this way until spring. It's great to make plans and not have to worry about that ugly "s" word or ice causing cancellations.

    Because of the nice weather, my only sibling and his wife are making a third trip from Illinois next week for a visit. September was the first time in 20 years that we visited in real time and not virtually.

    Good luck to your sister and her surgery. An additional person to get instructions is always a blessing.

    You have a busy week ahead of you. Stay safe there's lots of nasty germs and bugs out there. 🤗 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the nice weather being a gift! But I have to remember that time is still ticking, and make sure the things that need to be done get done! I'm particularly relieved that driving will be clear for the needed dates!

      Have a safe and sane week yourself, Jeanne! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you’re on top of it this year! 🎉🎁💕 (I on the other hand have been handing out packages in their shipping envelopes. SIL declares them wrapped. Love that kid 😁.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Have we swapped roles this year? Gift bags and packing tissue works really well, too!

      Delete
  3. We've had a mix of weather too, hot one day and then snowing the next. You're really on top of things this holiday season. We're still plugging away.

    Have an awesome day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday and you know, Christmas comes whether we plug away or whether all goes to plan! Somehow or other, it comes just the same!

      Have a blessed Monday! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  4. It has been mostly warm here too and hubby is heading to a procedure that kept him in the washroom all day yesterday and with nothing but liquids, not very Christmasy either. Although I will be probably filling his stocking while he is at the hospital. Cards are gone and shopping is just our stockings now and a Christmas basket for a friend and I am done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May not have been very Christmasy, but the relief of knowing all is well will be worth it! You are truly on top of things, which I gather from blogs that you usually are! (( hugs )) and have a great Monday.

      Delete
  5. Same here in the weather department. I have been un-motivated and nothing is decorated inside my house; perhaps today will be the day. I got the cards mailed yesterday so that's a plus. I do the photo cards, too. Proof of life. They usually include the goofy pictures DH lets me take. Missed adding the Santa picture, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do cards any more, haven't for years. But the proof of life ones are pretty special. That Santa photo is priceless... it might not have made this year's collection, but you know... it's timeless?

      (( hugs ))

      Delete
    2. Sadly, the Santa photo was after the cards. It will appear at other times!

      Delete
  6. Yes, weather swings lately leave lots to confuse as to what time of year it is. BUT today . . . Mother Nature is sending a reminder. . . the high so far is only 30F and won’t get much higher.

    I bet Carl was determined to ditch the reindeer antlers pronto! Miss Lilly would never stand for that. NO patience.

    Glad you can help your sister out going to her cataract surgery.

    Love your tree. Looks pretty! And this year seems to be a little more organized for me, too, but it isn’t always that way, for sure.

    Here’s to a good week, even if mixed up a little!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm sure Carl agrees with Lily about wearing things, but in return for treats, he will pause long enough for a photo op!

      Delete
  7. We’re finally getting some rain this week. Our high temps have been higher than normal all month.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is due here, tomorrow night. Normally this time of year it's either freezing rain or sleet or snow... but we're supposed to get temperatures in the 50's, so it will be a wet, not a white Christmas here.

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...