Thursday, December 21, 2023

Time and daylight get short

 

Dark of the morning Christmas lights are the best.  Shiny wrapped packages help make it festive.

Happy Winter Solstice, and Happy Birthday to my dear daughter in law.  What a symbolic time to have a birthday, where the light grows day-by-day as the baby does.

This is going to be a stellar Christmas weekend, I'm thinking.  For one thing, I'm ready for it.  For another, other folks have done most of the planning, so all I have to do is show up and help celebrate!

Friday evening is the birthday bash, starring Thai food and Jazz music.  Organized by the birthday girl herself.  

Saturday I am reserving to do baking and prep work.

Sunday starts the 3 days of morning cat meds duty for my elder sister's cuties.  And Sunday afternoon is the Christmas dinner and exchange for the "pandemic 5".  I am on tap to bring my roasted brussels sprouts, the oatmeal Scotchies (son's favorites), and the baked olive-filled cheese puffs.  Cheese Puffs recipe blog from 2021

As a bonus activity, my co-MIL (DIL's mom) has decided it would be a good thing to try going out for Chinese on Christmas Day!  When DIL mentioned this to the mythical son, he got very excited.  So she invited me to come along, with him telling her "Mom will tell you if it's too much socializing".  Well, given the memories of a particular Christmas past (and I hear this trope is also referenced in a Christmas movie that I don't have on my "every year" list)... I wouldn't miss it.  I can always fall in a heap after.

Good thing I had a quiet Thanksgiving, to store up energy for this weekend!

Merry Christmas to all!  May loose ends be tied, and good heavens may peace descend on our poor world!

Life is good.  Cherish it.  And Spark on, one day at a time, doing what good you can, in your own little corner!




12 comments:

  1. It's been a very long day, hence, I had to read that second paragraph twice and then a third time. Sigh! Jumping to conclusions (after misreading) is how I get my exercise.

    Stellar weekend sounds perfect. Nothing here is open on Monday. I printed your cheese puff recipe last week. I think maybe I'm going to give it a try for New Year's Eve when DGD is here.

    Special time spent with family is the very best of presents. πŸŽ…πŸΌπŸŽ
    πŸ€—πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to your last sentence there! Making a treat with the DGD will be awesome!

      I think I can guess what conclusion you were jumping toward, but don't think so... both the bride and the groom are "older", so that would not be wise. They are in the process of getting their license to be FOSTER parents! Had a home inspection, filled out the forms for background check, and had their first virtual class of the process.

      There is certainly enough need for foster parents!

      Delete
  2. LOVE your Christmas tree and prezzies, Barb.

    Happy birthday to your dear DIL! Hope it’s a wonderful celebration.

    Chinese on Christmas Day! LOL! Just like in Christmas Story! Enjoy. Absolutely . . . there’s time to rest and recuperate AFTER.

    Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy Birthday to your DIL.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But since my hubby grew up in a Jewish neighborhood AND was a fan of Christmas Story, it was inevitable that it would become a "thing" for us!

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, too, Barb!

      Delete
  3. I love Chinese Food on Christmas Day, but this year my sis wants to cook us dinner, so it shall be! (Chinese food between now and the weekend, shhh)
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having your sis cook the feast will be a good thing, too. Christmas is all about everyone feeling a part of it!

      Merry Christmas to your whole family!

      Delete
  4. We having prime rib for our Christmas dinner. We do Chinese take out on New Year's Eve. It's going to be a very chill Christmas for us.

    Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prime rib is one of our traditional Christmas dinners, but it's going to be turkey this year. I'm fine with that, too.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas my friend. I make a turkey dinner since it has been since October for our last one. This year we have company coming here for the dinner and I am so looking forward to it. Have wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be turkey at the kids' on Christmas eve day. Have a wonderful Holiday, yourselves.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you have an awesome Christmas season in the works.

    We did our siblings & their expanded families gathering Sunday 12/17. Illness and work schedules narrowed the ranks considerably but those of us able to attend enjoyed ourselves. It was nice to meet the newest great niece in person.

    Monday of this week I had a third surgery related to my cancer and have an appointment Jan 5 for biopsy results. Never did like roller coaster rides.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    PHOENIX1949

    PS - spouse just told me one the the Nebraska volleyball players is transferring to The University of Texas at Austin, Hook 'Em Horns, which is my alma mater and employer for almost 6 years in my 20's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of the NU volleyball players (not a starter) took advantage of the opportunity to change programs. Blessings to her if it is what she sees as best for her. We've got a fine program here and fans are as volleyball crazy as football crazy. Who else packs 92,000 fans in for a volleyball day?

      Prayers for your surgery / biopsy results and a smoothing out of that roller coaster. I'm not a fan of those rides, either, especially the ones in "real life" as opposed to at an amusement park!

      Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas.

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...