Sunday, December 17, 2023

Sunday morning settling back in

 

Sunday we continue to "catch up" on things that have been jumbled up by family and holiday and all that stuff!  This morning I started my day with AMC showing of White Christmas.  Bing Crosby's mellow tones, the schmaltz of the story, the comedy of Mary Wickes and Danny Kaye (I love character actors, don't you?)  Anyway, it was a lovely gentle way to start the day.

Good news on the recovery front from both patients.  Still in hospital but clearly improving and on his way to heading home in the next day or two... that's BIL.  I called my big sis late Saturday afternoon to make sure she's behaving herself, and of course she is.  Sis was always a rule follower!

Then I put together a small crockpot of veggies and chicken tenders and turned it on.  It will make a fine main meal, whenever it gets done.  

I have one package left to wrap, the contents of which arrived on Saturday.  I hope to get that done today, but will allow myself some slack if I feel like it.

The Husker women's volleyball team is playing for the National Championship this afternoon against Texas.  I'll probably flip that on, since it's on a channel I get.  The University and such are hosting a huge watch party at the arena downtown, but I'm not much of one for huge crowds, post-pandemic.

The upcoming weeks the holiday things start up.  My daughter in law's birthday is actually Thursday, but on Friday is the dinner and a jazz concert to celebrate.  Starting on Sunday (Christmas eve) I will take on morning duties for my older sister's cats.  Three days while she drives to Kansas for Christmas with her younger daughter's family.  Still trying to figure out when I'll squeeze the baking in, but that plan will unfold, too.

In between I will have one "normal" week of trainer workouts to keep me grounded.  

Here's hoping all of y'all are staying grounded through the holidays, too!

Life is good.  Spark on!


18 comments:

  1. LOVED White Christmas. A must see for the holidays.

    Glad the family patients are doing well and behaving themselves! Hope BIL gets to go home soon. There’s no place like home (watched The Wizard of Oz last night and that line sticks w/me! LOL)

    Your chicken looks scrumptious!

    The celebration for your DIL sounds like fun! Happy birthday to her. And safe travels to your sister driving to Kansas.

    Staying grounded!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the weather will cooperate for sister's drive to Kansas... we're predicted to have a wet, not a white, Christmas.

      The second patient was discharge Sunday, so we'll see how Monday goes!

      Delete
  2. A Christmas blessing that both family members are healing and feeling better. A busy holiday weekend for you. Birthdays to celebrate, kitties to make purr, and baked goodies to share with loved ones. A good kind of busy. Enjoy your week. 🤗💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, a good kind of busy. BIL was released from the hospital to go home on Sunday. So, store up energy for the days ahead!

      Delete
  3. Well, for all you are doing this week I hope you have some fun doing it all. Great news for the patients all around. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (It’s Val; my iPad likes to preserve my anonymity ;-)
    Very late catching up on all your latest, but nice juggling! It felt as if I spent my own very short weekend chasing the promise of “a meal with Mijo” (Z came down with a stomach bug so he’s been fairly miserable, but next-to-impossible to mother these grown kids from across town!)
    I made a big pot of potato soup yesterday & was ready to deliver, but he declined my offer :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life pretty much is a juggling act, isn't it? Hope your week goes well.

      Delete
  5. White Christmas is on my list of must watch during the holiday season.

    So happy that everyone is getting better just in time for the holidays.

    Love you idea of the chicken in the crockpot and use it for the week.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the small crock pot and it was all gone in 3 days. Sigh.

      BTW, Congratulations to the judiciary of Colorado, the first to have the courage to make a ruling on the ballot issue. Granted, it will be appealed to the US Supreme Court, and they will likely take it up (who knows how long that will take)... and we will see how it shakes out. But Colorado was the first!

      Delete
  6. Seems like the commercial gym I belong to is giving the class instructors 2 full weeks off, no classes from the 24th - 1st, not sure what I’m going to do with myself just yet.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how for so many, the fitness class is what gets squeezed out during the busy holiday weeks! I'm glad I have the trainer at least this week. He and his family celebrated earlier in the month, so I'm thinking I'll be OK next week to. I'll find out tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. I realized its technically not 2 full weeks. I was counting the 2 Sunday classes tjat are missing. I have my cycling shoes and access to the cycling bikes, the rides will be on me. Gotta get my playlist together.
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. Good job! What's on your playlist? I pedaled to Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie, and Tschaicofski's 1812 overture one time when I was trying to get the miles I needed for a virtual triathlon. For shorter sessions, more upbeat modern titles might be included!

      Delete
  7. I used the iHeartRadio app, so the music was all over the place today, in English, Spanish, Korean, Hindi… there was a lot of skipping around to find the songs with the right beats.
    Something I noticed on my solo ride was just how loud and hard I breathe, lol. It’s all muffled in the classroom setting by the instructor’s talking and their music, lol
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening in a foreign (to you) language is a lesson in listening to the human voice as an instrument. It's the only way I got to the point of listening to Opera (besides having a husband who liked it).

      The sound of your own heart, breath... your body's own music!

      Delete
  8. I love holiday routines, more as a snapshot of moment than actual production. I took my winter sprint to Florida to visit my cousin, a bit later than usual, and must run like the wind to complete all those tasks. Might as well put on the Chipmunks carols for speed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the chipmunks carols! And just about any other Christmas music. Enjoy your speedy Christmas routines!

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...